Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to this forum

Guest just4fun55

Guest just4fun55

Hi,

I'm new to this furum. I'm in the Detroit area and am scheduled for banding at St. John's hospital with Dr. Hawasali on 11/5. Anyone else from this area? As for insurance mine doesn't cover anything "weight" related. Let me know your experiences good, bad or indifferent.... Thanks

Welcome to LapbandTalk.com!! Please feel free to browse through the many posts. There is a wealth of information and experience in all the sections of this forum!

I think you'll love this place. There are some great people here!!

Please let us know if you have something specific unanswered!

Just4fun55

You have selected a very good Dr. Dr Hawasli banded me on Aug 10 and I have lost 60 pounds. Actually getting ready to leave right now for an appointment for my first fill.

He is painless with his proceedure and Your going to love your stay at the Same Day Surgery where they put you.

Where you at his Conference a week ago Monday?? If you were I was his guest speaker. Had fun doing that also.

Well good luck and keep us posted here

Greg

La_madam

Thanks for that kind word "WOW" lol.

I actually started the lapbanding process on 07/29/04 which is my starting point for my weight loss. I was 330 on that date and 309 on 08/10/04 when I was banded. Today was my second visit to Dr since banding and I was given as fill. Over the last week I have been hungry all the time and I was able to eat more then I was. So he pumped in 1cc and gave me the Water test and Its back to where it was.

I know the weight will come off slower now and my next goal is to be at 225 by Christmas.

I see you are going very well with your weight and congradulations on that. Was easy getting the weight on and much tougher getting it off.

Thanks again for your concern

Greg

Guest just4fun55

You mentioned the Same Day Surgery - the place where they put you. What time do you go in and what time do you leave? I'm scheduled for an 8:30am surgery.

Hi,

I was scheduled for 8:30 when I went in. Had to be there at 6:ooam. You pull up to the front of the hospital off of Moross Rd and can park there. When you go in the front doors The Same Day Surgery Center is right there on the left. I got out at 1pm the next day. I was in a little longer then most (Normally out by 9am) but I didn't get taken to x-ray for the swallow test until late. But that was ok with me. Had no plans LOL

The people in that unit took very good care of me and they were all so bubbly. I had a real difficult time with the gas that they blow your stomach cavity up with. It got behind my lungs and when I would try to lay down I couldn't breath. SO I was sitting up all the time. When the nurse came in and told me I should lay down before I fall asleep and drop off the bed. I told her why I couldn't lay down. She told me I should have said something sooner. They brought in this real comfortable Lazy boy style chair and propped me up and I slept like a baby. By 6am the gas pains were gone on not pain or discomfort since then.

And its not as nosey as other area's in the hospital. So it was very nice. I had a room all to myself.

Your getting close and I wish you the best o luck. I know I can tell all I want and I won't get you to not feel uneasy but I'm the worlds largest baby and I found this experiance to be a cake walk. Hope all goes as well for you.

greg

Guest just4fun55

Being that I'm a self-pay I hope they get me out early...the price they gave me is for 23 hours anything over that I get charged more. So the clock will be ticking. :guess Sorry to hear about the gas problem but I'm glad to hear that they remedied it so fast for you. How was the sticking to the liquid diet both before and after surgery? Did you have a hard time with that? Did you do just as the dietitian suggested? I'm not looking forward to that especially the pre-surgical diet, post I think it won't be as bad. Are you exercising too? How much and what kind? :Bunny

I know I'm full of questions...It's just a good feeling knowing that you have gone though exactly what I'm going to go thru in 3 week.

Thanks for your answers,

Cindy