Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does regain or leveling off tend to happen?

I was having trouble with my kindle... not sure why.

Fiddleman's post was well written and much of it resonanted with me. I am 2.5 years out - so similar situation timewise anyway.

I was not the one who said that plastics reduced chance of regain due to fat cell removal. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am not inclined to believe it because #1 I think most of the really harmful fat cells are in our torso between the organs and #2 I know several people who have regained after plastics.

I had two reactions to the thoughts... first is that "normal" people put on weight especially as they age. If you look around you will notice that many many people could stand to lose 20-30 pounds. I think as the formerly obese we are so afraid of regaining everything that we tend to get caught up in the idea that we must do whatever it takes to remain at a certain target. Heck I WANT to stay where I am too, so I get it, but my point is that normal people eat a bit more and gain a bit of weight and that isn't the end of the world either. I do think that the possibility of a "normal" weight gain is something that many of us should wrap our heads around as a possible long term outcome and not let it turn into a massive regain.

My second thought was along the lines of what you were saying. I am sometimes shocked at how little I eat compared to others. There is this little part of me that wonders why I don't weigh even less...haha... I sometimes wonder if it is sustainable, but for now it is not a problem. I realize that it can change in a heartbeat though.

There is something about eating low carb/clean - in my opinion bigger influence then working out - that makes you lose your appetite for the junky stuff.

I feel like I was more worried about regain at 2 years out then I am now 6 months later. I know it could still happen though.

I am more concerned about health. I have edema, so weighing me is not the greatest right now. They can't go 'oh your BMI is good and I'm showing the signs of malnutrition pretty well' and think that if your weight is ok, you're not ill.

I was cachexic at normal weight and all bloodwork fine - except the prealbumin level. It was showing at 6 months 1 day I went thru 4 pounds in 5 days and that's not normal. That was the clue. Then my prealbumin was dropping down down to 15 ...

they really need to consider that the definitions of things has changed. Had they been reading the medical research from several years ago to know, malnutrition is not just 'oh they're 16.5 BMI its a problem'. The same thing for low values or high values or learn how to interpret bloodwork in light of the patients symptoms and their history.

I am in that " simply tired" stage right now. I regained 27 pounds in year 3' lost it and another 10 from June 2013-oct 2013 and then as always, just relaxed. I would love to be able to just relax but for me, relaxation turns into this little by little relapsing into bad eating patterns.

It makes me fully aware of the fact that I have not fully turned the corner on bad behaviors and even though I cannot eat as much if I Eat Correctly still, I will sabotage myself on any given day. My only choice is to make myself completely refrain from junk because I truly don't have the long term ability to just be "moderate". The sooner I FINALLY realize that the better.

Now. I will get back up, get back on track and start my 5:2 bootcamp! And get off my FLAT BUTT and exercise. ;)

@@Georgia I don't think I'll ever "turn" that proverbial corner. I know exactly what you mean about getting tired and relaxing. For me it comes from being hyper-vigilant all the time, and fighting against a life time of bad habits. Some days it just wears me down. I have a body that requires very little intake to sustain itself, so there is just no room to let my guard down for more than a few hours - and I've proven I can do some serious damage in just a few hours!

I struggle with "relaxing" every time I get within 5 lbs of my goal weight. Last week I had regained almost 4 lbs. most of it was Fluid owing to the salt content of the food I ate. I was in party mode for no real reason. I think it's an old behavior of mine to sabotage myself whenever I get within 5lbs of reaching goal weight. Also, I had stopped weighing myself daily but was weighing twice a week. I decided to go bake to daily weighins. It seems to help me stay on track better. I am going to try the 5:2 diet, or a variant of it, and also lower my goal weight by 5lbs to see if I can trick myself into working at it instead of relaxing.

Chelenka and Michigan, EXACTLY! My body needs super low cals to maintain and I always "reward" myself when I get to a goal! Lol

It's very difficult. There are temptations everywhere. All day long I seem to run into food I am not supposed to have. I have to use a lot of willpower at 5 years out.

It's very easy for me to gain 5 lb. Then it would take a couple weeks to lose it, and it's hard because on the weekends, I tend to gain. Then I have to work on not gaining more.

It will never change. I have accepted that a long time ago

.I'd rather fight it at this weight. When I look at other women my age, they seem to get huge pot bellys after menopause. My sister in law has always been skinny. Since menopause, she has put on a bunch of weight.

I eat very little, but then sweets will make me gain way more than a piece of candy weighs. I've never understood that!