Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a mini gastric bypass? The name alone is problematic for me.

I have never heard of such a thing as that.

You either have gastric bypass completely.

It sounds troublesome.

Having surgery in Mexico doesn't allow you follow up check ups at all.

You need to be monitored very closely after surgery by your surgeon and nutritionist.

Please think twice about this it just doesn't sound right.

This is minimally invasive procedure. Google Dr. Rutledge for more info.

Restrictive.

Malabsorptive

The Steps

1. Access to the abdominal cavity: 5 small (1 inch) incisions on the abdominal wall to allow the insertion of access ports. Instruments are then passed through the various ports to complete the operation.

2. Retraction of the Liver: The liver lies over the stomach and must be lifted out of the way in order to complete the operation.

3. Creation of the Mini-Stomach: The stomach is divided into 2 parts. One part, a long narrow tube that will serve as your new "mini-stomach". The second part is the larger remaining part of your stomach which remains alive and well, but is now "defunctionalized", that is to say, it no longer receives or processes food.

4. Bypass of the small intestine: The length of small intestine bypassed varies from patient to patient, usually ranging from 3 to 7 feet. The actual length of intestine bypassed will be determined by your surgeon based on multiple factors including your height and weight, your weight loss expectations, and a careful review of the risks and benefits of a Shorter vs. Longer Bypass.

5. Removal of ports and closure of skin incisions: Upon completion of the operation, all instruments and ports are removed and the 5 small skin incisions are closed with skin closure staples.

• Performed laparoscopically (5 small, 1" incisions)
  • Usually takes less than one hour to perform
  • Overnight hospital stay
  • Easily reversible or revisable
  • Excellent weight loss
  • Low complication rate
  • Return to normal activity within one week
  • Restrictive - A Small stomach pouch is created restricting the amount of food you can eat.
  • Malabsorptive - A portion of the small intestine is bypassed. Since the small intestine is responsible for absorbing the calories from the food you eat, bypassing a portion of the small intestine results in fewer calories being absorbed, thus creating additional weight loss.
  • Hormonal - The hormone ghrelin has been nicknamed the "Hunger Hormone" by researchers because of its significant effect on appetite. Gastric Bypass results in a fall in ghrelin levels resulting in a reduced appetite.

A gastric bypass w/ less intestines removed?? Is that correct?

mini gastric bypass

@@waiting4miracle

is that kindof like being "alittle bit pregnant??" ;)

as all above have said - check it out thoroughly

i read the reasons you heard/stated from the doc about the mini bypass, but, hmmmm????

not sure i understood all though :blink:

if i were to go through major surgery (which of course i did ;) ) i would do a full gastric bypass

i had the sleeve :)

85& of my stomach was cut out (best decision of my life)

i wouldn't want only 42.5 % of my tummy removed :wacko:

best of luck with your "informed" decision :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

<p>I don't know if you are being covered by insurance or not, but I don't think mine (Anthem BCBS) will cover mini bypass.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you're interested, here's a page I found that describes the differences in the RNY and the mini-bypass. It looks as though the main difference is ease in performing the surgery. It seems like the only difference in outcomes is that the mini bypass may have some complications with reflux that the RNY doesn't because the stomach pouch is "wired" directly into the bypassed bowel instead of an anastamosis being created there. That can allow digestive juices to reflux back up into the stomach pouch.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="http://www.healthierweight.co.uk/obesity-surgery/gastric-bypass-surgery/the-mini-gastric-bypass/">http://www.healthierweight.co.uk/obesity-surgery/gastric-bypass-surgery/the-mini-gastric-bypass/</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Definitely something to think about.</p>

Edited by Ginger Snaps

I was scheduled for a band revision to sleeve but backed out of the surgery. Could't picture myself eating few bites for the rest of my life.

I have been doing research and the mini gastric bypass (mgb)seems interesting as an option now. It has good results coming out and similar to rny bypass with less complications. The mgb has a litter bigger sleeve and you are able to eat a decent size meal after 6 months to a year and studies show steady weight loss with less complications percentage. It is also reversible in case you need a exit strategy which is the plus point. When I got the lapband, people and doctors would swear by it and now they disregard this surgery, so yes the reversibility is a big plus.

The only downfall is that mgb is still experimental surgery and insurance does not cover it, I am thinking it getting overseas at kular hospital in india since i will be visiting in few months.

It is pretty popular in Europe, I know a few ppl who had it done with amazing results. Only we call it Omega Loop Bypass.

LOL, this thread and others here in the MGB forum are fun reads 7-10 years later. Tell us MGB/OAGB'ers more about how your lap-bands worked out for you :lol:

Why are people attacking or judging something you admit you know nothing about? It is like a RNY gastric bypass with not 1 new attachment instead of 2. Less chance of leakage and other issues. Had mine on Nov 19th. Down 29 lbs. works just like the other one.

C815A1DB-41D6-4E14-9A00-85B43C76134F.jpeg

Yeah, @Jerald180 it's a pretty shocking thread, but do keep in mind it's an old thread. I think the misinformation about MGB/OAGB was even more rampant back then.

I just found it hilarious to see LAP-BAND patients holding their nose at MGB. I mean, talk about a failure of a surgery for most. Again, not judging, but the hate spewed at MGB is hilariously off the charts upthread. I mean, calm down people.

Edited by Guest

I had a lap band which was removed and the MGB done in its place. Mush better. Hard to cheat…