Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are VG bands really less likely to slip?

I know we've heard it a lot that VG bands are less likely to slip or cause erosion because of the larger stoma area and gentler pressure. Is it true?

Let's hear your VG band stories of complications. (I'm hoping there won't be many!)

Alexandra, in the 15 months since Joy's surgery, I can tell you that she has only slimed twice. She experiences some left shoulder pain when she gets hungry (referred pain). Go figure??? Her last fill got her up to 12.75 cc and she has been having first bite syndrome. Just a bite or two and she locks up and has to wait for it to "slide on down". That's about it.

I have a VG and I slipped four months after surgery. This was following one night of really vigorous dry heaves. But I had some complications from dental work that kinda of "hid" the slip for a while since I could only eat really really soft foods.

Unfilled for two weeks with resolution of the slip.

Myra

Been banded for a year and no complications at all so far, knock on wood. I am up to 9.5cc's and it's time for another fill. I have had 2pb's total and slimed maybe 5 times over the last year. It took me a long time to get good restriction though which was frustrating.

Over a year, here. 1 PB - totally my fault.

It took forever to get any restriction at all - but otherwise, all ok with my VG.

If not complication free, it seems they are darned close to it.

What is a VG band? I am going to have surgery on 05/07/07.

THanks!

Meltini, the VG band is a larger band that holds 10cc's of saline. It generally takes much longer to acheive restriction but seems to be preferred by many surgeons for larger patients. It closes to the same diameter as the smaller bands when full but takes longer to get there. Your doctor will likely choose which band fits your stomach the best.

I got the VG band on 12/13/06 and I have yet to experience any restriction. I am up to 5cc. I can eat whatever I want as if I never had the sugery, which I am trying not to do. I have had other complications with the port but that would have happened with any band size.

I have a VG band, but it's only been in for a little over 2 weeks, so I don't have much to report. This thread certainly makes me happy -- I hadn't heard that there were less problems with VG bands.

I hope this is true because I have the VG also. I am worried about the restriction though. My first fill isnt until July 9th and I cant wait. Im starting to get really hungry. Im sure that if I wanted to I would beable to eat anything, so right now its just pure will power that is keeping me from cheating.

I've been banded 15 months with a VG band and have had no complications at all. It did take some time (about 5 fills) to get good restriction, but I realize now that's a good thing because it has taken a while for my brain to catch up to the notion of restricting my food intake. (If only there was a band for my brain!:))

I've had a handful of sliming episodes and only 2 bad PB's in 15 months, all of which were my fault (waiting to eat until starving, eating too fast and not chewing enough) Anyway, my theory is that creeping up on restriction has been better (for me and my band) by allowing me to get used to the restriction and changing habits over time and not having alot of restriction and PB's right away. I know someone with a 4cc band who had alot of restriction early on (even with an empty band) and she has had many problems/complications. I'm so glad I have a VG.

I have the VG band and I'm 2 years 2 months out & so far so good. Getting & keeping proper restriction seams to be very hard & I would say that I have fought for every pound I've lost. My weight lost is slow but you do get there eventually, it took me 17 months to lose the weight & now I chose not to have another fill. I just don't want to take a chance on any problems.

I had everything checked out at 2 years just because I had never had a floro fill or barrium swallow or even a look at my band and thank God everything was good. I don't know what the difference is but I am just happy because I haven't had problems. My port is able to turn & sometimes bother me when I exercise but other than that, there are no problems so I just keep on going. I'm hoping to be event free for the rest of my life (if possible). I don't look for problems but who has? I'm just happy because my band has been good to me, but I do feel bad for those who have had problems.