Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Covered....

Hello Alexandra & GeezerSue - Yes I checked to see if my coverage policy was online. It is actually located on our website for our company. My aunt who works in HR said that they do not hand out booklets with the information, because it is on our website - and we are able to print out pages from there. (The website is actually where I got the information from.)

Even though they said the procedure is not covered - I too belive that there is a loop hole. So I decided to start doing a little research on a surgeon here in Michigan, and I believe I may have found one.

Her name is Dr. Zoe Deol. I was checking her background in this type of procedure, and found out she has performed over 200 lap band surgeries. Her background in bariatrics is amazing. She does have some seminars coming up in October, so I am going to make a point to attend one of them, and get more information.

Still - in the near future, I will be making an appointment to see my PCP.

Before I go - I found something on www.michiganbariatrics.com - that states the following (under their Insurance section)

-------------------------

"At some point, after you have spent a considerable amount of time exploring the option of weight loss surgery, you will need to determine how to pay for the procedure. A growing number of states have passed legislation that requires insurance companies to provide benefits for weight loss surgery for patients that meet the National Institutes of Health surgical criteria. And while insurance coverage for weight loss surgery is widespread, it often requires a lengthy and complicated approval process."

-------------------------

Is there a way that you can find out whether your state has passed this legislation that requires insurance companies to provide benefits for this procedure? I read it over, and over, and was just curious about it...lol. If no one knows - that's okay. Thought it was worth a shot to try and find out.

Thanks again for all of your help. You are all so wonderful! :)

~ Kari ~

Kari, your best bet is going to be calling your insurance company direct. They should be able to answer your ?? There are other bandsters here that have used Dr. Deol. Try the "Search" for her name. We'll be waiting to hear what you find out. I'm crossing my fingers, eyes, and toes for you -- that it will be good news!:)

From the little I've read--and Alexandra is the expert here, not me--it looks like your insurance DOES pay for bypass surgeries, for the morbidly obese, probably with documentation that you have jumped through certain hoops. The next item is to see if they even mention LapBand or "adjustable gastric band," anywhere in their literature.

They may say that they consider it experimental. (Which is stupid, but some companies till get away with that approach.) They may say that they pay for it only with certain physical conditions being present. Or they may just pay for it!

Find out what the starting point is and don't geive up too soon and don't assume they'll pay for it and then get depressed if they don't. It's a step-by-step process.

Thanks for the replies New Hope & GeezerSue :)

Yes - I will still call my insurance company today and see what they say. I was just getting antsy (sp?) over the weekend and thought I'd read their book lol.

I definatly know not to get my hopes up. This is something that I believe I want done - and I know it will take time. I'm sure there will be instances where they will deny me. I'll get through it.

I'm even thinking of other options if I am denied several times, like self pay, ect...

Thanks so much again for your knowlege, and support!

~ Kari ~

Is there a way that you can find out whether your state has passed this legislation that requires insurance companies to provide benefits for this procedure?

Kari, your state's Department of Insurance can tell you if there are state mandates about coverage. It might also be under the Department of Health, but either way the information should be readily accessible. I know in New Jersey, there are lots of mandates about coverage for small groups, but almost all bets are off when it comes to large-group coverage.

To find out what the situation is in your state, visit your state's website.

Hello everyone - well I made the call to my insurance company. I asked if they cover Adjustable Gastric Banding.

The lady kinda hesitated - and then told me that she would have to call me back shortly. So I am awaiting their phone call.

In the mean time - I did make an appointment to go to a seminar with Dr. Zoe Deol. That will be on October 19th.

So I suppose I'll sit here, work, and wait for their phone call!

Thanks again!

~ Kari ~

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches