Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I notice myself doing that too, rcorn and I really just try and bite my tongue. Portion Control is a must for us, so I guess it's just really noticeable now.

Bigbaby, I'm glad the eating something every 2-3 hours is working for you; it still seems to be working for me. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad everyone is doing well. I'm still doing pretty good. I'm supposed to be in the mushie stage and for the most part, I am. I have however, eaten some things, albeit healthy, that aren't mushie. I just turn them to mush before they hit my stomach!

Since surgery, I find myself criticizing what my husband and kids eat. Now that I can only eat tiny portions, it's made me realize that the amounts I (and everyone else) ate, is really way more than we need. I find myself saying things to them without even thinking. I feel so bad. I'm wondering if anyone has done the same thing. For example, they ordered Chinese the other day. You know how big those portions are!!! My husband ate the whole thing. Even before surgery, I couldn't eat it all. I found myself thinking I couldn't believe he could eat all that food. I don't think I said anything to him but I didn't even like thinking that. I am certainly not in a postition to criticize anyone else. :)

I now know why everyone says that Lap-band is a transformation in more ways than just weight loss.

Anyone else have this problem????

I find myself doing the same thing. In the next breath I'm kicking myself for feeling that way becase three weeks ago I'd match DH bite for bite. How dare I at over 300lbs criticize how much someone else eats? I think what you describe is a normal part of this process. A moment later I am incredulous to find that I am at times envious of those that can still eat large portions, I kind of miss that stuffed feeling. I'm too scared of stretching my pouch to eat to that level of excess at this point.

Am I weird? I don't think so, I think it's all normal.

I am now 9 days post and let me tell you, I am hungry. I have not cheated once. Well sometimes I do have a extra cup of veggie juice or something like that. I make my own chic broth and it is really good, but even good liquids are getting old fast, I only have few more days till my first follow up and I am hoping he will tell I could go to mush foods.

I know some of us as had more education than others when it comes to the post op diets. I know I wish I had a little more. I had to go to a lapband class before the surgery and I ended up going to two because I wanted my mom to go to at least one. so anyway two of the same classes instructed by two different NP. One of them said I could never eat bread again and the other said wheat toast could be done a 4-6 weeks post op. Both of the classes were at the same office teaching different things. So I have done most of my research on my own. Can anyone tell me how many cals I should be taking in? And also Protein? I have heard so many different numbers.

I see alot of people are starting to eat real once again. Something I found and I think it's going to help me alot is this cook book called " EATING WELL AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY " By Patt Levive and Michele Bontempo-Saray. I had to try a few of the dishes before I had my surgery and there are some really good ones. Anyhow just thought I would stop by and tell ya all about that if you did not know all ready.

Dan

rcorn: I do the same but mostly only when I see my friends and family feeding their kids big bad stuff. I am not a jerk about it I just ask them if they want their kids to do surgery just like I had to do at 26 years of age. but I only say that kind of stuff to close friends and family because I know people could get mad at something like that.

this is one of my fav recipes from that book I was talking about

Salmon with wasabi glaze

1 tea-sp wasabi paste

2 tea-sp light soy sauce

1 pack sweet N low

1 table-sp lemon juice

1 large clove garlic minced

1 4oz salmon fillet

cooking spray

1.In a small bowl, whisk the wasabi, soy sauce, sweet n low, lemon

juice and garlic.

2. Spray a broiling pan with cooking sparyand place salmon in pan, skin side down.

3. Spread wasabi-garlic mix on salmon fillet.

4.broil for 7-10 mins and eat

What would I do without you guys? I felt really awful yesterday, not because of what I ate but I think more because of what I didn't drink!

I felt so tired and for the first time, 2 of the incision sites hurt really nasty.

I feel so guilty because I can't keep up with the house, the job, the everything and I don't want to say that out loud to the family because I am afraid there is a "you did this to yourself" speech lurking somewhere.

And the REAL truth is I know that's bull because my family, especially my husband is so supportive. So where is this coming from?!

I think I need to go off and cry somewhere and just get that pity party out of the way. Pity party for what though? Maybe losing 50 pounds over the next year. Yikes, that's pretty awful (yeah, right!)

Ok, I feel better now. Thank You all for being there.

What would I do without you guys? I felt really awful yesterday, not because of what I ate but I think more because of what I didn't drink!

I felt so tired and for the first time, 2 of the incision sites hurt really nasty.

I feel so guilty because I can't keep up with the house, the job, the everything and I don't want to say that out loud to the family because I am afraid there is a "you did this to yourself" speech lurking somewhere.

And the REAL truth is I know that's bull because my family, especially my husband is so supportive. So where is this coming from?!

I think I need to go off and cry somewhere and just get that pity party out of the way. Pity party for what though? Maybe losing 50 pounds over the next year. Yikes, that's pretty awful (yeah, right!)

Ok, I feel better now. Thank You all for being there.

I know exactly how you feel, I became a little depressed when after a week out from surgery I still did not have much energy and felt like I could not keep up, which of course I couldn't because my body was still and still is recovering from surgery. I am feeling better and better everyday and I finally feel like i have energy again.

I do also feel like I might get the "well, you wanted this""it was your choice" But I know it's just me being paranoid, because everyone is very supportive of my decision. I said to one of my friends one day "I think i just need a good cry". And sometimes I really think we do.:)

Thanks Laura, it's always good to know you aren't alone. Especially when your thinking is kinda muddled.

The thing is though, you did do this to yourself and this is what you wanted! You're going to do great; you're going to feel great and you're going to be thrilled that you chose this and did this to yourself! That doesn't mean you're living on easy street now, so give yourself a break. Allow yourself the time you need to get back on your feet, to mourn the loss of your old self and to get excited about all the wonderful things to come.

You're going to do awesome! <<hugs>>

Dan: Thanks for the cookbook suggestion. I think I'll order it later today. The recipe sounds AMAZING!

Heather: I agree with you completely, just about anything with wasabi is a good food in my book. (Damn, I want sushi!)

Laura and Waters: I agree with you guys, I feel that way too and I'm just over two weeks out. I got even more sore around the 12 day mark. I have been sleeping a lot (and I'm not taking any narcotics) and I just can't seem to do much around the house. I have been doing laundry and dishes, but not much more than that. I hope to get back into it next week.

Kland: Absolutely! We do need to give ourselves time to heal and mourn.

Hi everyone! I'm a lapband newbie too. I was banded June 21, 2007, at Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti, MI by Dr. Poplowski. They were really great with me there. I was supposed to go home the first day, but had to stay overnight due to some unrelenting nausea episodes and excessive drowsiness. I was glad to stay overnight though. It helped me to know they were there if I needed anything.

I just got to start my puree/mushee stage yesterday. I'll be on it for two weeks and then I get to go to soft foods that can be easily chewed. I made some tuna fish yesterday and ate a little yesterday and a little today. Today it made it down, but then it kinda got uncomfortable in my stomach. As soon as I stood up, it went away. I'll have to remember that next time that feeling comes.

I'm down 11 lbs so far. I wish it were a tad bit more, but I've been a slow loser due to PCOS, so I'll take whatever I can get. I'm so glad to find this forum! :)

Well, I made my appointment for my second fill. I will have it on July 30th. I know I'm still adjusting to the first one (I PB-ed again last night...so gross), but I don't want to have to wait two weeks if I am ready for it. I actually could have made it for July 23rd, but I didn't want to push it by having two fills in the first six weeks after banding.

Tell me if you think this is odd: It seems there are no "Fill Police". I think I could make a fill appointment every week if I wanted to. They just ask your name and book it!

HMMMMMM...dunno if that is good or bad.

Hey guys! Looks like we had a little "heat" in here yesterday! I understand where MOST of you are coming from with all the advice! I take some in stride and some I just skip! LOL

Anyway I weighed in yesterday and much to my dismay I had gained 2 lbs!!! GRRRRRRR I was sooo furious! BUT... I know it is mostly my fault! When I say "mostly" the reason is ... the Dr said for me to "eat till you feel full then quit" so that's what I've been doing!! Yes I know I have been eating more than I should be ABLE to eat yet they said to eat till full soooo what do ya do?!?! So I just happened to see the Dr in the hall yesterday and he kinda jokingly said well if you want to loose the weight rapidly go back on the liquid diet!! I didn't know whether to laugh or smack him!! LOL Basically what they have told me is to go back to 5 small meals a day which is a pain but when I was doing that I was loosing! Hopefully I will get better news from the scales next week!

You guys have been talking about "criticizing" family and friends about how much they eat and I can totally relate! The main thing I have gotten on to my hubby about it he eats SOOOOO fast!! Therefore he eats to much! He has told me repeatedly he is in this WITH me because he needs to loose about 100 lb himself! So far he has taken all my constructive criticism very well!! It was kinda funny last night at dinner he got so bored with eating because he was eating so slow! I was like yep I feel ya baby honestly I do! LOL He is a great sport and I'm glad he is doing this "with" me and helping me along! The only things I eat that he refuses to eat is tuna cottage cheese and yogurt! He is definitely cutting back and I am proud of him!

I know my Dr told me but for the life of me I can't remember ... how long to wait post op before being intimate? I am 17 days out and trying to remember if it was 2 wks or 4 wks? If anyone can help a sista out it would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

BTW I was practically begging my Dr yesterday for a fill and he said NO WAY not for 2 more weeks! I was kinda excited that he would consider one before the 6 wks! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO Sorry for the LONG post!

Holli, I noticed you are from Tennessee. What part of TN? Who is your Surgeon? I am in Nashville and my Surgeon is David Dyer.

Laura