Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Got the call a little bit ago saying I am to report to the hospital at 10:45 tomorrow with a surgery at 12:45. Any last minute tips or suggestions before going in? Think good thoughts and say a prayer for me. I will report back as soon as possible.

Bigsexy (soon-to-be JustSexy),

The only advice I have to have plenty of Gas-x, good pain meds, and a clear vision of what you want your life with the band to be like.

I'll be praying for you!!:clap2:

Nina

Got the call a little bit ago saying I am to report to the hospital at 10:45 tomorrow with a surgery at 12:45. Any last minute tips or suggestions before going in? Think good thoughts and say a prayer for me. I will report back as soon as possible.

Good luck!!

Bill scare...beware before reading!!

My dh told me to call the hospital because they were sending my bills to his insurance( which is the one that is covering, bcbs fed) but we weren't sure if they were sending the bills first to mine, primary, which has to deny the bill first before the secondary will pay for it, even though they approved the surgery, what a dumb process......

Hospital bill for surgery and next day.... $38,000!! :speechles

I told my dh, if you self pay it ranges from $13,000-18,000, he said I got the DELUX BAND!!

I could not believe it, my insurance better be on target.. or I will be running to another country...:)

I've been drinking occasionally with a straw and haven't seemed to have any problems. No one told me to avoid them, but it seems like all of our doctors have different opinions.

I also bought a few sippy cups before surgery to get me used to taking small sips and not big gulps. Playtex makes some that don't really look like they belong to a 2 year old, I got them in Target. I don't have anything against Dora the Explorer, but I wanted something a little less juvenille :)

Lucy I agree about the quiche. One of my favorites. Upon my return to work, we had a Breakfast, go figure my luck. Well, someone made a kale and cheese quiche, I ate the filling, it was outstanding. I just made 4 quiches for a brunch, they are in my freezer.

Stef good idea about small containers. On a cheaper version, I buy the small ziplock ones, they work great too.

bigsexy and Marga Good luck tomorrow. you will do GREAT.

My advise is to stay calm, realize this is a healthy choice and God will have you in his hands!! We will be anxious to hear back from you at the end of the week!

Simon Welcome to June Bandland!!

I am sitting here eating a cup of spaghetti with meat sauce, all allowed, but I am eating it really slow! So far almost an hour, the good thing is it is good cold. I had a rough day with hunger today. I felt hungry for the first time before the next meal. I am about 3 weeks out. Is this the time you all who were banded before me, June 7, felt? I can't wait to talk to the doc next Tuesday!

Have a good night!! Check back later.

Hey all,

I'm doing just ducky! I headed in to the surgery center at 0600. They took me back to pre-op around 0620ish. All the nurses that came in, the anasthesiologist and her sidekick came in to answer any questions that may have popped up since I last talked to her. The nurse that was assisting came in. Dr. Pinnar and his sidekick came in. Everyone was sooo calming. I was extremely nervous about the anasthesia. The nurse gave me Oxycotin and something heavy for the nausea right off that bat. I think the Oxycotin made me a little loopy because I started describing my craving for a hot dog and everything that HAD to be on it. My parents were there laughing at me. Surgery was set for 0730 so the nurse came in around 0715 to say something about us getting started. I vaguely remember the anasthesiologist saying something about starting the "magic cocktail" and the next thing I know I'm being awaken by another nurse in post-op.

Started to panic about being nauseated so they gave me another dose of the meds and on the scale of one to ten, I was a seven in pain so they gave me another dose of something else for the pain.

I think she kinda hurried me to the second part of recovery a bit because I didn't feel ready to switch to a chair being all discombobulated and everything but I did and they brought my parents back. I made it down to a fourish in the pain scale. They made me go to the bathroom....never had someone watch me like that....but I went. My parents helped me to get dressed and we headed out. Stopped by CVS on the way home and stayed for a few minutes. I wasn't sure they were going to release the meds to Mom for me but mom came back and said they would. So dad took me back and dropped me off at home to go back to pick up mom. I don't remember much about the car ride other than that part...and we are only about 20 min away from the hospital.

I've spent all day in the recliner, in and out of consciousness. I'm staying a few days at my parent's house for that reason. They are being soooooooo sweet. Dad keeps pushing the recliner back and getting me settled after I get up to walk around. He also brings a fresh ice pack when he thinks the other one isn't cold enough anymore. Dad also told me it was time to go inside when I wanted to walk up and down the walkway for a few minutes..."because he didn't want me to get worn out" :)

I have five incisions, all closed with steri-strips and no idea what size band I have. I asked the surgeon ahead of time and he laughed, stating he would have to see which one fit when he got in there. *Side note...I'm glad I wasn't too loopy because I probably would have told him he is HOT. LOL.

Thanks again for all the support guys. This went a lot like everyone else had said it would and I know that what I am feeling is normal. I couldn't have ever gotten the information and advice that you guys have given from any of my friends.

Hope everyone else that was being banded today is doing well. Good luck to everyone else and sorry for the loooong post. :)

I am sitting here eating a cup of spaghetti with meat sauce, all allowed, but I am eating it really slow! So far almost an hour, the good thing is it is good cold. I had a rough day with hunger today. I felt hungry for the first time before the next meal. I am about 3 weeks out. Is this the time you all who were banded before me, June 7, felt? I can't wait to talk to the doc next Tuesday!

Have a good night!! Check back later.

I started to feel hungry about a week out, luckily small amounts fill me quickly!

I had my banding yesterday, june 25, and am home today. I'm feeling pretty good but got woozy on the car ride home (my friend isn't a smooth diver). My surgeon and hospital staff were fantastic. But it is nice to be home and in my own bed. I'm going to force myself to take it easy and not push myself too quickly.

So far just Jello, broth, and juice. I think the preop Liquid Protein diet is to make those taste like the best food ever.

Pain is minimal. I'm going about 6 hours between doses of the liquid percocet. I'd say that the pain is a bit worse than a really tough ab workout with a trainer.

I'm glad to see our latest bandsters back home and doing relatively well.

I am five days out now and still having some pretty good "tearing/ripping"" type pain to the right of my port incision when I try to get out of bed, or roll onto my tummy (basically when I use my abdominal muscles). I am using my belly pillow and wearing my binder, but WOW. Other than that it's still a bit sore around the lower incisions. I get my staples out Thursday afternoon.

bcat and FarmerE: So glad to hear that you are home and doing well.

BigSexy: My advice is to expect discomfort for a few days and then if it is not as bad as you expected, then you will feel fortunate. If it is, then you will know it's the norm. I'm four days out and really starting to feel back to normal. I've used the down time to email and talk by phone to friends and relatives - I'm usually in such a hurry but this gives you the perfect excuse to take the time. Best wishes!

If someone is putting that "fill" calendar together, I got my date today. It's July 19, 4 weeks after my band date.

Hello to all the June Bandsters. Congrats to all of that have been banded this month, and maybe a few that will be banded this week still.

I'm in the July thread, and I just wondered what unflavored Protein powders everyone has tried so far. I've tried the Unjury, but didn't like it too well.

Thanks for anyones opinion.

Lynette

The fill calender isn't gonna happen... :confused:

Toni got a fill yesterday at 3 1/2 weeks... my first fill is at 8 weeks... All the folks getting banded at the end of the month will probably be in August... I think it would be WAY too difficult (for me anyway) to keep up with and post 3 or more seperate month calenders for fills.

On that note... I would like to update the other calender but even it has gotten out of hand! Now that we have all the different threads in the June 2007 subgroup, not everyone is posting in this thread! Soooooo, that makes it very difficult!!

I'm going to post a thread in the subgroup where people not on the calender can put their date and I will just post the calender there!!

Ahhh... solution!:whoo:

:whoo:Hi everyone! I just weighted myself, 8 days post-op, and I have lost 8lbs since the surgery! Thats a total of 23lbs since I started my journey (15lbs pre-op and 8lbs post-op)! I am so pleased! I hope it just keeps coming off! :whoo: