Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I got my blood-thinning shots POST-op....anyone else?

I got one before and one after. I second the "stinging" part of the shot. The needle is so small you can't feel it going in, its the thinner that stings for a while. I still have a little bruise from it.

Did anyone else's doctors make them take needles for pain meds instead of drink/iv? I asked for pain meds twice in the hospital and got two HUGE shots in my shoulder area (in the muscle). Also still have bruising there! I declined the third until my prescription was filled!

Okay here my recipe of the day! I suck at measurements, but I don't really think you can screw it up.

Fake (but yummy!) ice cream

1 Atkins shake (I used the chocolate one)

1 powder weight watchers shake mix (I used vanilla, will try with chocolate later)

(optional - 1/2 serving Protein or whey powder)

get your blender out and pour in the atkin's shake. fill with ice so it's full, but so that the atkins shake still covers the ice a bit. Pour in the WW powder. Blend on high 30 seconds. Stick it in the freezer for 1/2 hour.

I swear after having all of these Protein Drinks, it feels like those chocolate shakes from wendys. Nice and cold on a hot day and tons of protein too! Plus you can stick it back in the freezer when you're done so you can have more later! In total it's not more than 300 calories and will probably last an entire day because it's so thick.

I have a fill question....I was banded Thursday (21st) and have a post-op July 6th, and a post-op nutritional class the 27th.

No mention of a fill. So, I am guessing that means it is at least August before I get one. Is that possible/normal/usual?

Seems like a long way away compared to some. I wonder if I will make it!?!?

:cry

Pippz - That fake ice cream sounds so good!!

I made a smoothie this morning from 6 oz strawberry yogurt (FF), 8 oz skim milk, 8 fresh strawberries, and a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder. It was so good!! I couldn't even finish it all and I'm still stuffed an hour later!

Look everyone! We're on page 100 of this thread!! We've come so far! We're almost all banded now!

I have a fill question....I was banded Thursday (21st) and have a post-op July 6th, and a post-op nutritional class the 27th.

No mention of a fill. So, I am guessing that means it is at least August before I get one. Is that possible/normal/usual?

Seems like a long way away compared to some. I wonder if I will make it!?!?

:cry

Hi Leenie....call your Dr.s office and ask. Most first fills happen 4-6 weeks post-op!:)

GL,

Toni

Hi all,

I'm 11 days post-op now and I'm starting to get really hungry. I also would just like to "eat" something. I started a clear liquid diet 10 days pre-op and I'm on one for four weeks post-op - that's almost 6 whole weeks of clear liquids!!!!! I was doing really well until last night when the wanting to chew something came on. Even cottage cheese would be good now. Oh well, at least I'm down 21 lbs since June 2nd, so that's good right?! I just wish that I could at least do mushies right now. Anything would taste wonderful.

My husband and kids had pizza last night!!!!! I thought I would go crazy. I actually went upstairs till it was gone just to be away from it. When I came down a piece of bacon had fallen off onto the counter so, I can't believe I'm telling people this, I chewed it forever then spit it out. It tasted sooooo good!

I'm going to try to stay really busy, maybe that will help, at least till I can go to the mushie stage.

My husband and kids had pizza last night!!!!! I thought I would go crazy. I actually went upstairs till it was gone just to be away from it. When I came down a piece of bacon had fallen off onto the counter so, I can't believe I'm telling people this, I chewed it forever then spit it out. It tasted sooooo good!

quote]

Good for you, Dawn! I would've ended up swallowing it. I have the LEAST self-control on this board!!!!!!! :tired Anyway, way to go! :clap2:

Toni

I'm so glad to hear that so many of you are convalescing well. I'm two days post-op and really feeling pretty good. I move around a lot and the only thing really uncomfortable is picking up something off the floor - ouch!

I told everyone about my plans so I have been inundated with phone calls, visits, and flowers already. But it helps keep me from being so bored.

I am drinking a 20 oz. Isopure Protein Drink per day and dilute it with 50% Water and that's all I have an appetite for so far.

I read somewhere that we are not supposed to use a straw the first week - did anyone use a straw and have any trouble?

Have a good Sunday evening and warm wishes to those being banded tomorrow!

Marlena

I read somewhere that we are not supposed to use a straw the first week - did anyone use a straw and have any trouble?

My doctor and nutrionist are really opposed to straws, but to be honest I've been using one almost since day one. In my house I can't leave an empty cup around, my daughter is an expert at knocking them over! The key with straws is to go as slow as humanly possible with one. It really isn't almost worth it, honestly, but if you have to, just do it slow!

My doctor and nutrionist are really opposed to straws, but to be honest I've been using one almost since day one. In my house I can't leave an empty cup around, my daughter is an expert at knocking them over! The key with straws is to go as slow as humanly possible with one. It really isn't almost worth it, honestly, but if you have to, just do it slow!

Wow...this is new news to me! I didn't know straws were a no-no. Can anyone explain why? I drink my Protein drinks with a straw!!!!

Toni

Hey all,

Dang, I was out of town for a few days and look at all the new posts! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well. I'm almost there...only a couple more days until I join y'all in bandland. This liquid diet, low carb, high Protein is rough but I'm getting through it. Luckily, I'll be up all day today, all night, all tomorrow, and will be too tired to stress out about the surgery on Tues.

In reply to the previous posts about straws...my doc said that straws were ok if people thought they were going to gulp too much while drinking. They actually suggested the toddler sippy cups so now I have a set of scooby doo ones. :)

Those of you that are close to being banded (and I think there is only a few of us left) yay! Almost there!

Well, it looks like I'm not going to be a June bander after all. After a long talk with my extremely supportive husband, I'm going to hold off until the beginning of September. There are a lot of things coming up in the next two months between his work (June is his busiest month of the year and he needs to get his numbers up by the 31st even though he is willing to take two days off and possibly not make his numbers) and our two upcoming family vacations to visit each of our folks. If I didn't do it this week, there would be no more than a 3-week break in between each of our vacations.

I'm feeling very confident though. I'm losing well on this pre-op diet, and I'm surprisingly not finding it as difficult as I thought. I still plan to do a variation of this diet (I'm not on all liquids like some) and then go for my band in September when the kids start school again and things quiet down (unless for some reason I actually have the staying power and lose another 25 pounds by the end of summer).

I hope you guys don't mind me following along on how you are all doing though!

Are you eating regular food? I was banded on the 18th also and am on liquids for 2 weeks and then mushies for 2 weeks.

He only told me to each mushies for a couple of weeks. No liquids. I was surprised at that! And a little grateful! :)

As far as the blood thinner shot, I got that preop..in the belly. Wasn't too bad.

And bloating went away about 2 days ago...so 4 days post op. Of course when i eat i feel a little bloated, but the constant feeling was gone Friday.

Well, it looks like I'm not going to be a June bander after all. After a long talk with my extremely supportive husband, I'm going to hold off until the beginning of September. There are a lot of things coming up in the next two months between his work (June is his busiest month of the year and he needs to get his numbers up by the 31st even though he is willing to take two days off and possibly not make his numbers) and our two upcoming family vacations to visit each of our folks. If I didn't do it this week, there would be no more than a 3-week break in between each of our vacations.

I'm feeling very confident though. I'm losing well on this pre-op diet, and I'm surprisingly not finding it as difficult as I thought. I still plan to do a variation of this diet (I'm not on all liquids like some) and then go for my band in September when the kids start school again and things quiet down (unless for some reason I actually have the staying power and lose another 25 pounds by the end of summer).

Wow Carrie.....I'm in shock! :omg: We are going to miss you going through this with us *this* month, but hope you'll stick around through Sept. and beyond....

September should be a good month for all....hopefully the Junies will be feeling restriction with 2 or 3 fills under our belts, and you'll be banded! :)

Have a BLAST on your upcoming vacations!!!

Cheers,

Toni

Hello ANNIE...you can get a ticker from many places, but the two most common are Graphical Tickers for your Signature, Message Boards, Blogs and Web Page and Ticker Central - The ULTIMATE resource for pregnancy, birthday, TTC, wedding, anniversary, christmas and more tickers to start. There are many options in putting your ticker together, so GO WILD, GIRLFRIEND! LOL :clap2:

Stef

Okay, so I'm ticker challenged. LOL! I created one, and tried to copy it and paste it where it says to upload, and it tells me invalid file.

I can't figure it out! What am I doing wrong. urrghh!

:help:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this! But I'm sure it's for the best!! I hope you enjoy your vacations and have a great summer!!