Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Michele/Dawn/Hopefull - Welcome back..you all sound like your doing great and experiencing the norm, gas and more gas!! It is a nice feeling not to feel hungry yet either. It is hard at times when cooking for others not to slip something in your mouth! I was baking for my son's wedding coming up and did lick the batter, oh well it is a mushie, right?:P

Toni-Portion control...boy do I hear you girlfriend!! As the swelling goes down and the hunger returns, it is difficult to figure all this out. I decided I needed to measure it and only put that in my bowl or dish. The Protein is hard with out a scale? But I hate to buy another thing. Maybe when you go out to eat, ask for a bread plate, put what you can eat on that and ask for a to go box and put the rest away then? As I am writing, I think I will do this too when I hit a restaurant! ;)

Serena -that ticker is a tricky thing. I finally was able to fix mine yesterday and get the pointer to come up to change it! Don't ask me how I did it.

Pacu I am not sure why each doctor has such a different process! Some of us seem to be on liquids for 1-4 week range? I am on mushies one week post opt. to last through 3 weeks, so this is for a 3-4 week time frame before introducing other foods. Hang in there!!

quadmom It is hard not to cheat a bite of food. You will be ok, like said, chew and chew. I nibbled on a tortilla chip yesterday and grinded it down, but it tasted good. chips and salsa are one of my favorites!

Belly color?? Mine is back to normal, actually some are almost all healed. My doc used super glue and inside stiching, so you can hardly tell. Where the port is, it is still tender and the large black and blue bruise is fading fast..

I am off to the pool today, to bad about how I look, I need some tan! I am a white ghost!!:)

Lets keep this June group going strong and have a big party somewhere next June!

Julie

I'M WITH YOU ON THE REUNION NEXT JUNE. THAT WOULD BE A REAL HOOT!!!!! :whoo: :whoo:

JACKIE

I hope everyone is doing well. My throat is finally feeling better and I'm hoping to get to the gym tomorrow and start going on a regular basis.

Now, I don't want to sound like a b*tch, but I feel like I should say something about the "cheating" on chicken nuggets and tortilla chips. The few weeks after banding are for HEALING. Yes, it sucks to be on liquids (I would kill someone right now for something "real" to eat). But your doctor put you on this liquid diet because it's necessary. If you do not give your band time to heal you could cause some serious damage. From what I have been told, if you eat something solid, your stomach needs to work more to digest it. The more it works early on, the greater the chances of slipping your band. Is it really worth it for a bite of some real food? If you think so, then go ahead. But I don't think any of us had this surgery done so we could cheat. It's 2-4 weeks out of your entire life where you can't eat real food. Stick to it and you will succeed. But if you start cheating now -- at the MOST important part of your lapbanding experience, what kind of precedent are you setting for yourself in the long run?

I'm not pointing fingers, believe me. I watch my husband eat dinner every night and it kills me that I'm sipping on Soup and he's munching away at something delicious. Or even if it's leftover baked Beans and a slice of pita, it looks better than any lobster of foie gras I've ever had. But I knew this wasn't going to be easy. And I have to stick to my diet if it's going to work.

Be strong, Junies! Resist the urge to cheat and risk losing your band! :)

Good morning, everyone! Happy Sunday and Happy Fathers Day! Make it a good one!

I wish everyone a blessed week and a LOSING week!

Stef

Just wanted to update quickly - 2 days post-op and doing good. I have muscle cramping in my left abdominal wall... its above the posrt site, by another incision. Also, the area directly below my port site is numb. Has anyone else had that? Its weird!!

Went to Wal-Mart with some friends yesterday to get broth and Jello and stuff. The walking was good, but by the time we went to checkout I was feeling ill. And of course the checkout lane was CRAZY long. I made it through OK, but won't be doing that again.

My cats (2 of them) are being very good - only jumped up on my tummy once so far! Lol. But I need someone to come over and scoop out my litter box. I just can't bend over with this abd muscle cramping! It hurts enought to SIT!

OK... I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm gonna go park it on my comfy recliner now!

I'm two weeks out now and am doing pretty good.

My doctor's general guidelines are all liquids the first week after surgery, mushy foods weeks 2 & 3, and then regular foods weeks 4 and on. So I have been on mushy foods for a week now. I have problems getting in all the foods and Water recommended. A couple times I have felt that I have eaten too much because I start getting pressure in my chest and lower back pain. When that happens I go out for a walk and that helps. So now as soon as I start feeling the pressure comng on, I stop eating. I am very cognizant of the fact that I don't want to stretch my pouch and esophogus, or having my band slip. That being said, I haven't been pureeing my foods, but instead I try to make sure that I chew them really well before swolling. My Proteins have consisted of eggs, refried Beans, canned chicken, and permesian encrusted talapia (a local grocery store cooks the fish and all I have to do is reheat it). During this first week of mushy foods I have only lost 2 pounds.

I went out to lunch for the first time with the gang from work (they know about my lapband). I made sure we went somewhere where I could order eggs. I got a cheese omelet. I would eat slowly and then put my fork down inbetween bits. There was way too much cheese for me in the omelet so I ate around the edges and picked off some of the egg from the cheese. Next time I will just order 2 scambled eggs, I ordered a water but only took a couple sips of it during my meal. No one made any comments about what I was eating.

I haven't had the shoulder gas pain for a week now and then suddenly last night it returned with avengence! I also got a pain in my left side, like a side stitch. I ended up having to sleep in the lazyboy with a heating pad like I did the first couple days after surgery. The pain is still there today. Has anybody else out there had a relapse of the gas pain?

Good luck to everyone being banded this week!

I thought I would update too! I'm on day 2 out of surgery and feeling pretty good. I'm not having a hard time taking it easy! Yesterday my upper abdomen felt so bloated and it was horribly uncomfortable. Today. that seems to have subsided somewhat and my chest feels kind of tight. When I get to talking, it sounds like I've been running a marathon. I do keep getting that annoying feeling of needing to burp....ugh. Not too bad, just the next phase, I guess.

I'm not hungry at all and am working to get my Protein down. I'm on liquids for another 12 days, then I can add some full liquids like mashed potatoes, creamy Soups, oatmeal, etc. Then, at 4 weeks, I get my 1st fill and can start carefully adding solids.

I'm feeling so empowered right now!

2 weeks out and the last couple of days my incisions are pink and itchy!!! All of them!! I haven't done anything differently so maybe my stitches are dissolving and more healing is occurring?? I don't know but they are splotchy pink and itching like crazy!!! No heat or oozing... not infected. something new everyday!!!

2 weeks out and the last couple of days my incisions are pink and itchy!!! All of them!! I haven't done anything differently so maybe my stitches are dissolving and more healing is occurring?? I don't know but they are splotchy pink and itching like crazy!!! No heat or oozing... not infected. something new everyday!!!

I know what you mean, Hotty.....my Dr. looked at my Tummy on Friday and he said (referring to my port and one other incision), "don't pick or peel the scabs" so I thought, "then please don't itch!" I've been putting Mederma on them, but not faithfully like 3-4 times a day as suggested on the package....

Lucy, on Friday night I overate and may or may not have done damage / future damage. I wish I would've had your conviction.....I appreciate your post. I must be a weakling----just have been feeling very healed and ready for the next level! I know...too much, too soon.

Janine...thanks for the restaurant suggestion! I'm vowing NEVER to let Friday night happen again. Today I ordered a bowl of chicken pot pie Soup, and it was DELISH, but I wouldn't let myself finish it. Progress! :) Hope you had fun in the sun today...it was a rainy day here. :cry

Kland, Thinner, Suzzie...glad to hear you are doing so well!

Hugs to all!

Toni

Musical Momma

I can totally relate... I started dieting 8 weeks pre-op and I find it hysterical that people are only know noticing any change after I've lost 16kg (36lbs) and I'm over half way to goal!!!!

I didn't tell many people but still feel the pressure from them to carry on losing fast... which just isn't going to happen!

Has anybody else out there had a relapse of the gas pain?

Yes, I had the exact same experience as you. Had it bad for the first 5 days post op, then nothing for a week. Then yesterday both shoulders started hurting and I had a really painful, sleepless night with a heat pack. It's still not better now.

To whomever asked, my port site is also numb when I rub my finger over the skin.

I had some thicker Soup than usual last night (blended minestrone) and a larger quantity than usual (have two more days until mushies). I quickly got very and uncomfortably full. Taught me a lesson. As I'm self-pay, I cannot afford any complications. It would send me bankrupt.

For extra motivation (hopefully not to put anyone in a panic), my doc's sheet says:

It is very important that you follow these instructions carefully. If you were to eat solid food or drink large amounts of liquid quickly at this stage, you could rupture the stitches that hold the band in place - you may not feel any discomfort or any physical awareness of this occuring.

Another poster explained that when solid food enters your stomach, it will expand and contract to try to digest it. This movement could stretch or rupture the stitches.

KT!!!!!!! I can't believe you're half-way to goal, and then some. That is OUTSTANDING! Holy Crow!!!! Keep it up! I just can't believe it. You're an inspiration :)

Toni

For extra motivation (hopefully not to put anyone in a panic), my doc's sheet says:

It is very important that you follow these instructions carefully. If you were to eat solid food or drink large amounts of liquid quickly at this stage, you could rupture the stitches that hold the band in place - you may not feel any discomfort or any physical awareness of this occuring.

Another poster explained that when solid food enters your stomach, it will expand and contract to try to digest it. This movement could stretch or rupture the stitches.

OK, Insub...that does it! Where is the pile of sand I can go stick my head in???? Now I'm worried beyond sick. <imagine whining voice> ....but I was just SO starved Friday night, I didn't know when to stop until it was too late. And to the contrary, I DID feel major discomfort. Please, Lord, let everything be OK.

Unfortunately, I may have done some serious damage. Ugggggggh. Let me be the poster child for the rest of you! Then some good can come of this. You DON'T want to be in my shoes right now.

How can one tell if the band has been moved? A Flouroscope? I guess I'll find out at my first fill.....

Toni (who can't take it anymore!):paranoid

Don't panic Toni. You are he longest banded. Those instructions are from my Dr and refer to the first two weeks. I just thought that it was extra important to the just banded in case the reason why we can't eat solids wasn't properly explained to them.

I think it is natural to worry that we have damaged our band. I am worried myself after my thick Soup. I say assume it hasn't happened and then just check everything's OK at the first fill.

Hey there everyone!! You all are doing great! It has been a while since I have posted/read so I had a LOT of catching up to do today! I am 6 shakes and 1 day of liquids till surgery!! WOOOOOHOOOOO I have had the week from "down under" that is for sure! I won't go into ALL the details except for what happened today! I have so far been able to go "out" with my family and drink my shake and eat my strawberries (the center said I could do this) but today I was gonna go out with my dad for fathers day and well we ended up at a Mexican restaurant (which is my most favorite). Anyway I thought I could do it but when I sat there and was watching my family eat the chips and salsa and knew the fajita's were coming I lost it!! It was horrible! The main thing that kept going through my head was "how have I lost such control of myself for me to HAVE to be in the position"? My very kind and understanding husband just got up and took me home where I sat here and read the last 3 days worth of post's which helped me allot! Thank you all for all of your words of encouragement!! I can't wait to "not want" food!! BTW I have lost 4 more lbs!! woohoo