Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I bought some "Any Whey" at GNC. It's tasteless and is meant to be mixed in other foods. I haven't tried it yet cause I don't start mushies til TOMORROW!!!! But I read a lot about it on other threads, and people like it a lot.

So tomorrow I get to start on soft mushies! Scrambled eggs, grits, oatmeal...etc. I'm soooo excited! Yesterday was the first day I've been really hungry since surgery. The funny thing is... I ate (well, drank) more than I have been and felt really guilty and like a failure kinda. Then I added up all my calories for the day and was at 1000. What the heck?! The reason the band works before restriction is called STARVATION! Anybody can lose weight eating 700 cal a day!! Hope today is better!! :hungry:

HottyToddy,

Thanks for mentioning the Any Whey! I think I'll head over to GNC this evening. I can't wait till I get to the mushie stage - I have my food processor ready! I am craving steel cut oatmeal.< /p>

Nina

Toni, I meant Wal*Mart! LOL

Shoot...I got excited for a minute!!!!!! ;)

Who are all the near Houstonians? Toni, Nina, Minty and ??????

Ok I have 2 questions

1 can we EVER have mexican food again? My absolute fav. is chips salsa and fajita's!! YUUMMMM Going through MAJOR with drawls already!

2 do any of you have small kids and are finding it hard to not "starve" them?? I don't think to make him anything to eat because I'm not making me anything to eat ya know? Then he will finally tell me he's hungry and I feel so bad!

1 - I hope Mexican isn't out - it is my favorite also. I am afraid the chips may be a problem, my surgeons suggestion's say no crunchy crumbly things, but I would think you could enjoy the meat and veggies from fajitas. I am planning on refried Beans during mushies.!

2 - Don't feel bad - he should only eat when he is actually hungry. I think that will teach him good habits - not to eat because there is food, but because he is actually hungry. I am worried that I have already given my 4 year old BAD eating habits, she asks for food all the time and will eat anytime there is food nearby. We are taking out all the unhealthy food and bringing in healthy Snacks only and trying to cut back on her portion sizes if appropriate.

1 - I hope Mexican isn't out - it is my favorite also. I am afraid the chips may be a problem, my surgeons suggestion's say no crunchy crumbly things, but I would think you could enjoy the meat and veggies from fajitas. I am planning on refried Beans during mushies.!

2 - Don't feel bad - he should only eat when he is actually hungry. I think that will teach him good habits - not to eat because there is food, but because he is actually hungry. I am worried that I have already given my 4 year old BAD eating habits, she asks for food all the time and will eat anytime there is food nearby. We are taking out all the unhealthy food and bringing in healthy Snacks only and trying to cut back on her portion sizes if appropriate.

Holli and Missy,

I am going to a support group for bandsters tomorrow night. It's a big group, and they always meet at a Mexican restaurant. They:

1. Eat chips and salsa

2. Order off the appetizer or childrens menu or ala carte (e.g. one cheese enchilada)

3. Order off the regular menu and take 3/4 of the food home.

Hope that helps! ;)

---Toni (could eat Mexican every day!)

Glinda - Welcome & good luck with your band. You are amongst great company!

Holliwagz - I pray to God that Mexican food is not out. It will help my sanity to have something cooked in lard & all cheesed down every once and a while ;).

Nina

Wow it's hard to keep up with this site! While I am trying to catch up reading the posts I haven't read yet, the next thing you know there's another page of posts!

Two days into my mushy foods and I am soooo happy:hungry:! I can't believe canned peas and refried Beans taste so good! Before this I would never have eaten refried beans.

I have had no problems transitioning to mushy foods. I've had eggs, peas, parmesean encrusted talapia (we have a grocery store that makes it and you take it home and reheat it), refried beans with lowfat mexican blend cheese and canned chicken on top (so far my fav), and applesauce. This morning was the first morning since my surgery where I woke up and my stomach wasn't growling.

And yippy,:clap2: last night I was able to sleep on both my right and left hand sides for a couple hours each. Prior to this, one hour on either side and I felt like my large incision was being pulled.

MINTYFRESH - I hear you about needing the surgery. My friends were floored when I told them I was going to have this surgery. (They have been friends since childhood and they too are overweight like me.) I told them that at 42 years old it's obvious that I need some kind of professional help otherwise I would have lost the weight by now on my own, and since my current insurance will pay for it, I want to do it now because 5 years from now I don't want to be saying to myself "I sure wish I would have had that surgery 5 years ago!". I don't think they were too keen on the idea of me having the surgery, more so cuz any surgery is risky, but this one seems relatively safe since there is no cutting on the inside like gastic bypass. The hard part for me is that they are all back home in WI while I am here in Richmond, and I do feel like I am going thru this experience totally on my own. Luckily this site helps with that aspect!

HOLLIWAGZ - I have a friend who had lapband surgery a year ago and everytime we go out to eat we go to a Mexican restaurant. My friend eats some chips and salsa and then is able to get thru maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a taco salad.

QUESTION FOR THE GANG - There's one thing I don't understand. With just the lapband on and no fill, does the lapband itself squeeze my stomach?

Hello to all i'm a newbie on here my date with the band is June 22 YEAH!!

I'm on the pre-op diet right now wow it's hard but getting easier just wishing the 2wks would hurry up. I'm so excited to get started.

I too live near Houston and thanking God I have a tread mill it is way to hot to be walking outside post op here. Well hope to get to know all you!!

THANK YOU all so much!! I don't guess I ever knew there were more ppl than my mom and I that are addicted to Mexican food!! LOL I even asked my surgeon today at my consult and he just looked at me like HUH?? It was funny! Good to know that it's not OUT completely there is a GOD!! :-)

Holli -

Did you find out if you are going to be banded or RNY? Was today the day?

Welcome newbies!

Toni - How are you going to a Mexican rest right now? Girl YOU are superwoman! There is NO WAY I could pull that off right now, and I'm on mushies!!

thinner1 - My understanding about the band right now... I have the 10cm band. I measured that and that's about the same as when I touch my thumb and index tip together. Then my stomach is inside of that. I figure I'm about quarter size without any fills. That's not enough to restrict fluids or mushies (which is what you want while healing... NO pressure on the pouch).. but if something wasn't chewed properly it could get stuck. With swelling it might be smaller than that. My doc tole me before surgery that the hole would be about the size of a dime. But I'm assuming he means after fills??? I dunno... that's just my theory!

Hello all you June Bandsters. Looks like everyone is doing well that has been banded so far. Wish I were still a Junie, I'd only have 2 weeks left, but now I have 3. Oh well, at least I have the date.

Hottytoddy, can you try to help me out. I'm trying to figure out how you got all the June names onto the calendar. I'd like to do this for the July group, if you don't mind.

Good Luck to everyone getting banded this week. You're in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Lynette

Hey, I'm new here, I'm getting banded on the 18th. I started my pre-op diet today, I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through this next week, today was hard!

bcrazy i know how you feel trust me i couldn't stand to be around myself the first couple of day's what is your pre-op like?? mine is

2 carbs for bf

shake for lunch YUCK

1 serv lean meat and 1 serv green veggie for dinner

shake later but i never do the 2nd i hardly get down the first one.

lots of Water no sodas for me. it's tuff but hang in there.

Holli -

Did you find out if you are going to be banded or RNY? Was today the day?

Welcome newbies!

Toni - How are you going to a Mexican rest right now? Girl YOU are superwoman! There is NO WAY I could pull that off right now, and I'm on mushies!!

thinner1 - My understanding about the band right now... I have the 10cm band. I measured that and that's about the same as when I touch my thumb and index tip together. Then my stomach is inside of that. I figure I'm about quarter size without any fills. That's not enough to restrict fluids or mushies (which is what you want while healing... NO pressure on the pouch).. but if something wasn't chewed properly it could get stuck. With swelling it might be smaller than that. My doc tole me before surgery that the hole would be about the size of a dime. But I'm assuming he means after fills??? I dunno... that's just my theory!

Hi Hotty!

The meeting tomorrow night is at a Mexican rest., but I'm just going to order a side of refried Beans with queso on top! Doesn't that sound delish??! My body *feels* like it can eat anything, though. I don't know what size band I have, but I'm guessing it must be a biggie! I loved your explanation to Thinner...makes perfect sense! :)

I went to the gym today, and after the treadmill just a little discomfort with weight machines at the port area, so I think I'm 90% healed!

I just can't wait for my fill. Maybe I'm in bandster hell, because I'm ready to be done with the mushy diet and ready to get on with "it"!

(patience, Toni, patience.....!!!!):biggrin1: