Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Good morning Junies! Best wishes to all of our members being banded today. Don't forget to check in as soon as you're up to it. We all love to hear how you're making out ;)

I'm a tad bummed that I haven't lost a blessed OUNCE since my doc appt on Friday. But, I know I'm still healing, so my body is probably in consevation mode right now. I'm trying to be patient. It would be better if I could stay off of that stinkin scale! ;)

Snoopy: I've been thinking about you and praying for you and your mom this weekend. Let us know as soon as you know something.

Janine

The Bullet is a blender/processor. My DH found it for me at Walgreens but I think I have seen them at Walmart (cost less.) I like that it has plastic containers that you blend in and then drink from.

Miso is a great liquid stage item. It's a "change up" for the boring broths. My son found me an Instant package at HEB. I have to strain it because it comes with spinach and tofu.

Morning everyone!

Good luck to our banders this week! I'm very excited for you!

I have to share something though... I did really well this past week eating-wise. Just eating really healthy, trying to modify my portions, etc. Dropped almost 3 pounds. I went through a period for about an hour when I thought that "you know, I think I could do this on my own and not spend this XXX amount of money which could go towards bills." My husband was trying to be supportive, but I could tell he didn't think it was a good idea.

Sure enough, later that evening we went out to dinner to Mexican (since he is starting his diet tomorrow - Atkins), and I ended up eating a huge portion of my fajitas.

I realize I really need this surgery. I really need this tool to help me curb my portions.

Hello everyone. My name is Glinda and this is a big day of firsts for me. This is my 1st post -- i have been a looker at this site for several weeks. This is the 1st day of my 14 day liquid diet. I will be banded on 6/25.

You post that i have been reading have been so inspirational. Every minute at home (and at work when the boss isn't looking) i am reading something on this site.

I can't wait to get to know everyone.

Glinda

Welcome Glinda...congrats on your banddate, it will be here before you know it! I couldn't agree with you more...this is just the best site! So informative and supportive!!!!

Glad you're with us!

Toni

Hi everyone,

My thoughts and prayers are with all of today's bandsters. I go in tomorrow morning at 5:30. I was told that my surgery could be anywhere from 7 - 6pm - YIKES! Sitting NPO that whole time!!! But when I was at the doc's on Thursday for my pre-op the nurse told me that since I have to have my gall bladder out that they will probably do my surgery first - YEAH!! Hopefully I'll go in at 7. I think that waiting around for almost 12 hours would just be so nerve wracking. That happened to one of the ladies on my NW Washington site. She came in a 5:30 - waited till 6pm and then got bumped due to an emergency surgery (not bariatric). They gave her a bed and made her wait til the next morning.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous now. Last night when I was tucking my 3 and 4 year old into bed I just started crying. Thank goodness the lights were out and the kids couldn't see me. I was trying to explain to my daughter why she was spending the night at Nana and Papa's house. She's very bright so I can't just give her some pat answer. I told them that I was going to the hospital to have something taken out of my tummy (gall bladder) that wasn't working anymore. then she looks at me and wants to know how the doctor gets his hand all the way down my throat to my tummy! Kids can sure make you laugh sometimes!!! I just told her the doctors have other ways of doing things and tried to change the subject. I definitely don't want her to worry.

All of a sudden I'm just really worried about waking up after the surgery. My kids need me!!!! Am I being selfish by chosing to do something that could be potentially life threatening? I am very strong in my faith so I just have to keep telling myself that God will take care of everything.

Wow - sorry about the long post. Did anyone else have worries before the surgery? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My internet went down last night for like 13 hours!!! I'm 4 pages behind!

Good luck to all of today's bandsters!!

I had some scrambled eggs last night... it was the most amazing thing! You would have thought I was at a 5 star restaurant!! I felt fine, no restriction or anything. Nothing got stuck. But afterwards, my stomach was doing backflips all night! It knew I was eating something solid for the first time in over 2 weeks! It was pretty funny. That's the first time I've every chewed scrambled eggs 15 times a bite! LOl.. i guess it actually was liquid!

Well, I'm off to have some grits. Eating again is sooooo weird. I go back to work on Wednesday, so I really need to find my strength again! Hope this helps!

I got some new names for the calender I see! I'm on it!

Good Luck to everyone this week! I am afraid I won't have a lot of time to check in before surgery. I have a lot of work to do before being off for 4 weeks! I know that is a lot of time off, but I have sick leave available and my boss said take all the time I want, so I am going for it. It will be a good mental vacation also.

Pre-op diet is going much better. I am past my TOM, so that makes it easier. I still have to have something solid at least once a day, but I decided instead of blending my fruit with my Protein Shakes, I would just eat it, that seems to help. I only have today and tomorrow, then Clear Liquids on Wednesday. I was a little discouraged to be up 3lbs during my PAT, but realized that was my TOM retention. I have lost those again and hope to lose 2-3 more before surgery.

Hope everyone post-op is healing well and those on pre-op are surviving. I can't believe I am finally only 3 days away!

Welcome :wave: GlindaB glad you joined us...keep us updated on how you're doing.

Dawneb: I totally relate to what you're saying. My teenagers took it all in stride, but my 7 & 5 year old were a little concerned. Then after the surgery, my pulse and bp wasn't coming up...they called in a cardiologist, did an EKG and put me on a heart monitor. After everyone left my room, I broke down...I just cried and cried thinking "what have I done??? My kids need me!" Hubby was totally at peace and was very reassuring...because he wasn't worried, I felt a little comfort. Then the cardiologist came in to talk to me and told me I was just fine...my heart rate was slow, but steady and she felt confident I was just recovering a little slower from the surgery. Withing a few hours, my heart rate began coming up and by the time they discharged me I was back to normal. It was VERY scary to me, but my surgeon and the cardiologist weren't even phased by it! I'm sure you'll be just fine. This is a very emotional time and a big step. I think you'll be glad, in the end, with your decision ;)

MintyFresh: I know what you mean about 'needing' the band. I also started to wonder about it, when I was losing weight pre-op. I had the surgery June 1, the doc released me to try mushies on June 8. Well, yesterday, I got a little "stuck" when I was eating beyond my actual hunger! It hurt like the dickens, but it was actually such a relief to KNOW that this tool WILL work for me!

Hi Everyone! I am having the surgery done in ONE WEEK! :faint:

I can't believe it! This week will take forever to go by!

I am on week two of my pre-op diet. It has definitly been a learning experience. I am kinda tired of the stuff I have to eat/drink. They gave me different shakes, bars and Soups. Mostly stuff with lots of Protein. I can do fine during the work day, but when I get home its harder.

I am going to do lots of research this week to make sure I am ready. My nutrisionist says I will be drinking Water only right after the surgery, then move to 4oz of Protein Shake until that fills me up and then I can drink 8oz. Then when that fills me up I can move up to mushy stuff, like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, etc. So on and so forth... I think I can do it! Wait, I KNOW I can do it!

I tried to search for post-op food ideas, but got a whole lot of junk come up... Anyone got any suggestions on what they tired, or are planning to try?

I can't believe there are already like 50 something pages for us June Bandsters! I will have to read a lot to catch up! I hope to get to know you all well!

Ok I have 2 questions

1 can we EVER have mexican food again? My absolute fav. is chips salsa and fajita's!! YUUMMMM Going through MAJOR with drawls already!

2 do any of you have small kids and are finding it hard to not "starve" them?? I don't think to make him anything to eat because I'm not making me anything to eat ya know? Then he will finally tell me he's hungry and I feel so bad!