Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

(I guess I should join you all...............I just got my approval-surgery is set for next Wednesday, June 13th...............I feel soo nervous. I know lots of people get this procedure done, but suddenly I am nervous about dying during the surgery! Anyone else feel this way? Any words of wisdom???)

Hi Quadmom,

I was so nervous yesterday for my surgery. I am doing this to hopefully add a lot of years to my life, but I was extremely nervous about dying on the operating table. My doc's both Dr. Smith and Dr. Karn (he's the anesthesiologist) both came in and reassured me and spent a little time talking me through the whole prodcedure. The good news is that once your under it is over before you literally know it.

What you are going through is perfectly normal. Hang in there girl!

Michelle<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hi, all!! They just called! I'm scheduled for 12:30 on Friday, June 15 with Dr. Scott Ellison of Weight Loss Surgical Center in Overland Park!

I'm so excited! :faint: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

hey nina, how many incisions have you got. how are you feeling

Hi Dini!

I have 5 incisions. I am doing good - the gas is "leaving" me.

Nina

Hi All! I'm back from my one week post-op visit. I was pleased to have shed the 10 pounds I GAINED from all the Fluid they pumped in me & swelling PLUS another 3.4 pounds! I'm on my way down, down, down!!! Just noticed that I am NOW closer to 200 pounds than 300 pounds! That's a plus.

Another plus....ready for this???? The doc went over the post-op diet again, 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks mushies, 2 weeks soft, then trial and error after that. I told him I was STARVING and that the liquid wasn't cutting it and could I PLEASE try a mushie or two in the day. He said that the 6 week "guidelines" were just that. He said everyone heals differently and I must be a fast healer and have little restriction. He said to use my best judgement and go VERY slow and not to challange the pouch. He said he didn't see any reason I couldn't try to add a little mushie if I was that hungry. SO, I bought some canned chicken breast and I'm getting ready to puree that with some low fat mayo and chill it. I'll try a tablespoon full tonight and see how it goes! I think I can make it now :)

I guess I should join you all...............I just got my approval-surgery is set for next Wednesday, June 13th...............I feel soo nervous. I know lots of people get this procedure done, but suddenly I am nervous about dying during the surgery! Anyone else feel this way? Any words of wisdom???

Hang on....whoa....wait UP! You have 7 month-old QUADS + THREE other children living under your roof?!?!?!? And you're getting banded?!? :omg:

You are my H-E-R-O :clap2::):clap2::)

....and no, God won't let you die. I promise! :) And so will your Dr.

Big Hugs! :)

---Toni (mom of two singleton girls who prayed for safety from above and guiding hands over the Dr., the Anethetist and staff and everthing worked out just fine!) You'll See!

Oh...was anyone told to come off caffeine before surgery? I was advised to not have caffeine (or very little of it) after surgery and was told to start now to avoid the withdrawl headaches on top of everything else. Anyone have any hints for this? I'm having a hard time with it...

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while. Before the surgery I got very nervous and did not want to go on the boards at all. Today is the first day that I have felt like myself since the surgery. I had my post op visit yesterday and tried to bring some of my concerns up with my doctor but he basically said they were normal. He did tell me that I have to eat more though. I have been very tired.

Best wishes to everyone that has had their surgery and are recovering and good luck to everyone that is due for surgery soon.

First of all...Hotty, I love ya! Thanks for keeping up with your awesome calendar! Can't believe how blue it's getting!!!!! We're banding together like C-R-A-Z-Y!

{{{{{{{{{{{ Rhonda }}}}}}}}}} o2bthin----again, I'm so sorry about your Mom. :) There's no doubt she's looking down at you and is so proud!!! I'm with you: I have trouble staying asleep at night, and I take Lunesta for crying in the night! When I can't sleep, I come see what this board is up to! You have so much on your plate. Congrats on you son's graduation, but I know you must have a lot of emotions going on with that, too! BTW, this is off topic, but I *still* use benefiber/metamucil/fiber choice tablets dujour once/day, usually in the morning with Breakfast, to keep my blood sugar in tact.

Dakota....congrats on your band, and I can't believe how quickly you were mobile. I milked this band for all it was worth and didn't even TOUCH the treadmill for 7 days! Even then I only walk a half mile and it was s-l-o-w-l-y! Good for you, girl!

SimplyMe....have you seen the posts from Stefanie42467? She got banded in Hurst, TX, too, but with a different doctor, I'm pretty sure. Small world!

Speaking of small worlds......NINA GIRL! Are you by chance in Houston, TX?!? I am! And we have a St. Luke's Episcopal hospital here! How cool would that be if we were neighbors!?!? Even if you're not lucky enough to be a Houstonian :) I'm so glad your banding went well, and despite the gas you were out there hittin' it too. I'm so proud of everyone being so darn active!!!!!

...like Thinner----you active soul! Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story and CONGRATS on your 25 pound weight loss! Holy smokers that is awesome!!!!

Speaking of 25 pounds down the tubes....way to go JackieP!!!!! That is fantastic! And I loved the tip about eating fruit at the end of the meal if I'm dying of thirst (which you know I will be!) :speechles

Hi Twinkletoe...congrats on your banddate! And to answer your question, I think I speak for all of us when I say we all have LOTS and TONS of willpower. We only need the band because......hang on. I'm just kidding! Diets that restrict are HARD as HECK to maintain---some see it as lack of willpower, but diets just aren't maintainable! At least for me! So I would, for instance, join Jenny Craig. Lose 20 pounds, and gain back 30. This band is going to help me choose my foods more wisely (e.g. Proteins first, then veggies, etc...) and in limited amounts. Viola! I'll lose weight, be motivated to move more (exercise) and God Willing maintain it! HTH!

Beckie....Congrats on your banddate, too! I can tell by your post you are happy as a clam!

FarmerE....Welcome to our family! :biggrin1:

MM---High-Five on the Dr. appt! :clap2: I'm coming over for dinner tonight at your house. I want mushies, too! No, seriously though: remember yesterday we both had Soup at a restaurant? Well, it was sooooooooooooo good, that I'm going back tonight for more! (but it sure would go great with your chicken!):)

Whew...sorry if I missed anyone! Ok, I've bugged you people more than enough for now.....but you KNOW I'll be back to post more....

....in like 5 minutes! :omg:

Cheers!

Toni

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while. Before the surgery I got very nervous and did not want to go on the boards at all. Today is the first day that I have felt like myself since the surgery. I had my post op visit yesterday and tried to bring some of my concerns up with my doctor but he basically said they were normal. He did tell me that I have to eat more though. I have been very tired.

Best wishes to everyone that has had their surgery and are recovering and good luck to everyone that is due for surgery soon.

Nvalicia----so good to see your post! You were one of our frontrunners and it was a week ago today you got banded!!!! I hope you are feeling more strong every day and please post whenever you can. We're all eyes and ears!

Cheers!

Toni (couldn't even wait 5 mins. to post when I saw yours!!!)

Oh...was anyone told to come off caffeine before surgery? I was advised to not have caffeine (or very little of it) after surgery and was told to start now to avoid the withdrawl headaches on top of everything else. Anyone have any hints for this? I'm having a hard time with it...

Dr. Pinnar is a MEANIE! :) Are you sure he didn't just say carbonated drinks? I don't know why you can't have tea and coffee? !? My doctor allows it. It was allowed on day 1.

Anyone?

Sorry I can't help. BTW, Hi. My name is Toni, and I'm a caffeine addict. :)

(though it's cut down tremendously since giving up Diet Cokes!)

LOL...yeah it is kinda rough. I know they said carbonation is going to be rough but I think they just mean initially no caffeine due to it being on the restricted list until I'm off the liquids. (I'm hoping that's what it is at least..)

Yeah, I'm a caffeine addict too! Especially since I work midnight shift.

Hi all!

I'm back! I am glad to here that the ladies who were banded are doing so well!! :clap2: I was banded on Tuesday, the surgery was about an hour and a half - the doctor said it was fairly simple. I stayed overnight at St. Lukes Epsicopal and come home on Wednesday. Thursday is when I had the dreaded gas pain so I walked my block 3 times, took Gas-X strips & sipped warm tea and by the afternoon I was MUCH better. Although I am burping alot today, I feel good. I started my full liquids today and I am not hungry at all. So far so good.

I am so happy that I had all of you ladies for support!

Nina

{{{{NINA}}}} I am SO glad it all went well for you. Glad you're feeling better all the time and NOT hungry! That's the BEST part!!!

Nvalicia: Glad you're doing OK. It's pretty normal to freak a little before surgery. I am lying low from all my friends here, cuz I don't want a million questions :)

Just got back from a 4 mile bike ride! That felt GOOD! Gonna take the kids swimming tonight...if the pool's open that is! Feels good to get active! :)

yes, i have 7 kids at home! my 4 babies are the best-i adore them and i am so u nhealthy right now-i just hope i am making the right decision to live longer for them..............