Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone told you that this surgery is too drastic?

Dh just told his mom and she was not impressed. She thinks that what I did was too drastic. I told him that this was my decision. What are your thoughts?

No offense, but why do you give a sh@t what other people think? You obviously did what you thought was the right thing to do, so who cares what anybody else says? Besides, she won't think it was "too drastic" when you get to your ideal weight and are healthy, happy and keeping it off. Maybe educate her by having her read about the procedure and why it is just the best option for some people. You just keep going with your awesome self and try not to worry about what other people may think or say ;)

I have kept my surgical decision to just family and a few friends because I didn't want to have to hear others opinions on my life decisions I mean they aren't paying for it suffering through the pain or working for it we are so who cares!!! I had one uncle explain how much loose skin I would have and maybe I shouldn't have the surgery but I would rather live with loose skin than stay at 421 pounds :) surgery date hopefully by june

My mother in law thought the surgery was to drastic until she found out that my diabetes is out of control. Luckily she seen some good things about it on TV, no she is all for it. Truthfully your decision to do the surgery is really no one else's business.

Lol Oh I really don't care what she thinks, it's just that this was my first negative reaction. Everyone who I have told has been über supportive, so her reaction surprised me. She is a retired nurse in England and I really would have thought she would see the benefits. Oh well...

You chose to make a healthy decision that affects you for the rest of your life. It improves blood pressure and can cure diabetes. I am off 7 medications because I made the decision to have surgery. Wish I had done it years ago. Most of my friends have been very encouraging now. A couple sceptic at first, but have since come around.

Congratulations,on making a very brave choice to get yourself healthy.

Having this surgery was brave because it took a lot of guts to do it.

To heck with your MIL and her way of thinking.

She should be proud of you for taking matters into your hands and making this new life choice to be healthy.

You are doing great.

I heard that a few times before surgery but those same people have also now come to me and complimented me on how well I have done. I didn't let it bother me too much because it is not something you decide to do overnight and I knew what I was getting myself into. Especially since I knew I was bettering my health and life.

My mom was worried about me having surgery of course, but other than that, I had a bunch of cheerleaders for me. Not sure why your MIL was not happy about you having surgery. Maybe in a way she's jealous of you and your happiness. I know that's how my MIL always feels about me.

Hope things are going well for you!

i have not had the surgery, but will have my first consultation this month. i have diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromalagia, depression, and am 100 pounds over weight, plus i am having a very hard time with the smoking. I have been a smoker for 40 years. I am scared. my sister and my Aunt are telling me stories of how this person and that person died after surgery. Infections and so on. these people had theirs over 10 years ago, surely this has been perfected. what if you do not have a good support team? does it make it harder? how much help do you think i will need? i want to try the chantix i have heard this is a mind altering drug. i take so many drugs now how will this effect my other meds? i am truely frightened. i have 4 years before i have to purchase private medical insurance. with the obama care being so weird i probably couldn't afford the price with all my current aflicktions. Smokers immediately have to pay 50% more than anyone else; let alone having all the other medical issues.

@@marthaeb

sounds like you have a lot of challenges but you will find great support on these boards. Try posting specific questions in the subject line of your topic and you'll get answers to some of your questions. But, try talking to your doctor about your concerns too. I keep a running list on the memo function on my phone -- questions I want to ask the surgeon the next time I'm in. I just open up the app and start asking.

Best wishes!

My mom said it was too drastic. She since then went to my surgeons appt and is totally on board now :)