Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am currently in the pre surgery process for Roux en Y. I know I am making the right decision, but I still have fears and doubts. I would love to have a mentor. I am in the Twin Cities Minnesota area, but although a local support person would be great, an online buddy would be fine.

Thanks!

Hi BigDug,

I am in the UK so not local at all! However, I do know how it feels to be scared about having it done. I had my surgery on 11th Feb so I am 10.5 weeks now post bypass. I was reading the forums and scaring myself to death. I knew that I wouldn't develop all of the problems but it was hard to prepare myself for the ones might have. I was in Key West reading forums in the middle of the night in January thinking that this was my last holiday that I would enjoy, because my pre op diet was due to start a week after I got home. It was a real grieving process.

However..... if I had known then what I know now I would have been so relieved and reassured. I am now managing a really wide range of foods, just very small amounts. But I have my social life back which was really important to me. We put off a holiday to the States until May thinking that I wouldn't be ok until then. I would have been ok though and we just snuck in a quick mini break to Italy which went really well. I have lost 45pounds so far and much more from my highest weight.

When is your surgery planned for? Wat are you most concerned about? Can I help at all? I know how daunting it can feel and I am here if need support.

Claire

Hi!

I am in California, but lived in Minnesota for 6 1/2 years, if that helps at all! I am 14 months post-op and in maintenance now, after losing 93 pounds. I would have loved a mentor when I was going through the process, but didn't even know it was an option then. I think where you are now might be the scariest part...am I making the right choice, how will things change, can I really do this. If it helps at all, I would do it all over again if I had to. The first 3 months were the hardest for me, and I would be very happy to help you in anyway I can. I'm pretty darn open, so you can ask me anything!

Thanks Claire & Dot. I think I am most scared of my life changing. food has always given me a lot of comfort & joy (pun intended). I am worried that without the excessive amounts I grew accustomed to that I will at the least be irritable and at worst a nervous wreck.

I have already drastically changed my eating habits and I have lost 20lbs. However it has increased my stress level considerably.

Also, when I lost a lot of weight before (liquid diet, don't do it) I became very cold all the time, even in the middle of Summer. Have either of you experienced that? Does it ever go away?

Thanks

Dug

Hi Dug,

Yes, food is a social thing and it can be comforting too. I do understand that. I have found that I am never hungry, although I know that some people can still be hungry but fill up fast. So that irritability might not be an issue as long as you can keep doing things that you enjoy. I personally think it was good that I felt so worried before the surgery, because it has seemed so much ore positive since then, and much better than I feared. What do you enjoy doing, or what do you hope to be able to do after the operation?

I am cold a lot of the time, I have to admit, but I try to not let myself get too cold by anticipating it and wearing enough things. I often forget though and once I get cold it so difficult to warm up quickly, it seems to take a long time.

Eating comfort type foods can still happen, but hopefully you will find that you can't eat very much, and won't want to. We are all different though.

Claire

Hi Dug,

Yes, food is a social thing and it can be comforting too. I do understand that. I have found that I am never hungry, although I know that some people can still be hungry but fill up fast. So that irritability might not be an issue as long as you can keep doing things that you enjoy. I personally think it was good that I felt so worried before the surgery, because it has seemed so much ore positive since then, and much better than I feared. What do you enjoy doing, or what do you hope to be able to do after the operation?

I am cold a lot of the time, I have to admit, but I try to not let myself get too cold by anticipating it and wearing enough things. I often forget though and once I get cold it so difficult to warm up quickly, it seems to take a long time.

Eating comfort type foods can still happen, but hopefully you will find that you can't eat very much, and won't want to. We are all different though.

Claire

Thanks.

Fortunately I have a lot of hobbies. I like photography, amateur radio and brewing my own beer, among other things. I have a supportive wife this time, where during my liquid diet my relationship with my wife then was more of a negative than a positive.

I'm hoping the cold feelings eventually go away as one's body adjusts to less insulation. I have yet to see an answer to this however.

Dug

I'm two and a half years out and get cold all the time unless I have my new best friend - a sweater. You're absolutely right - less insulation. I don't like being cold but I now have a collection of jackets from lightweight all the way to parka. Since I live in So. Cal. I don't need much besides the sweater until we go camping in the mountains.

More sensitivity to cold is pretty common but I gotta tell you, it's a small price to pay in return for: type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, four or five medications, back and knees pain and 130 lbs - all g o n e. Cold? I ain't worried about no stinkin cold!

You're gonna love the new you (cold and all)!!

Dug,

Ugh...I did a liquid diet many years ago through UCLA, and do not recommend it either. I am definitely cold more often than I used to be, but it hasn't really been an issue. I always make sure i have a sweater or jacket with me...it's just become part of the adjustment. We have had some very hot days this year already, and I was comfortable, which was a relief. Living in Minnesota will just mean more layers!

As for irritability, you may or may not feel it. I don't remember feeling terribly irritable, but I think I was so afraid of food in the beginning, it was far less of an issue than I thought it would be. You will be able to eat great things down the line, and you will find new "comfort food" you didn't even know existed. I am constantly Googling or on Pinterest looking for Bariatric friendly recipes, and I have found some great stuff, which I would be happy to share when you are at that point. I also think I may be more strict with food than most people. I have not had Pasta, rice, pizza, Cookies, anything like that. The only bread I eat is whole wheat pita, and I no longer eat red meat. Again, that is a personal choice. I haven't missed any of these things yet. There are so many alternatives now. I have been really lucky...my husband has never had a weight issue, but decided to eat healthy with me. He's lost 30 pounds (from where I have no idea) and feels better than he ever has. If he wasn't on board with me, it would have been so much harder.

You can totally do it Dug! You will be happier and have a much better quality of life. Where are you going to be having your surgery?

Hi!

I am in California, but lived in Minnesota for 6 1/2 years, if that helps at all! I am 14 months post-op and in maintenance now, after losing 93 pounds. I would have loved a mentor when I was going through the process, but didn't even know it was an option then. I think where you are now might be the scariest part...am I making the right choice, how will things change, can I really do this. If it helps at all, I would do it all over again if I had to. The first 3 months were the hardest for me, and I would be very happy to help you in anyway I can. I'm pretty darn open, so you can ask me anything!

I'm pre op and in San Diego.< /p>

Hi Kendra!

How is it going for you so far? Have you had your surgery yet?

Hi Kendra! How is it going for you so far? Have you had your surgery yet?

It's going well. No, no surgery yet, I am still pretty far out. I am in week 4 of the 24 week program I have to complete before I can get a date.

Dug,

Ugh...I did a liquid diet many years ago through UCLA, and do not recommend it either. I am definitely cold more often than I used to be, but it hasn't really been an issue. I always make sure i have a sweater or jacket with me...it's just become part of the adjustment. We have had some very hot days this year already, and I was comfortable, which was a relief. Living in Minnesota will just mean more layers!

As for irritability, you may or may not feel it. I don't remember feeling terribly irritable, but I think I was so afraid of food in the beginning, it was far less of an issue than I thought it would be. You will be able to eat great things down the line, and you will find new "comfort food" you didn't even know existed. I am constantly Googling or on Pinterest looking for Bariatric friendly recipes, and I have found some great stuff, which I would be happy to share when you are at that point. I also think I may be more strict with food than most people. I have not had Pasta, rice, pizza, Cookies, anything like that. The only bread I eat is whole wheat pita, and I no longer eat red meat. Again, that is a personal choice. I haven't missed any of these things yet. There are so many alternatives now. I have been really lucky...my husband has never had a weight issue, but decided to eat healthy with me. He's lost 30 pounds (from where I have no idea) and feels better than he ever has. If he wasn't on board with me, it would have been so much harder.

You can totally do it Dug! You will be happier and have a much better quality of life. Where are you going to be having your surgery?

I'm having my surgery at Fairview Southdale in Edina MN. My surgeon is Dr. Benn.