Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Yau or Dr. Cobourn/Mumford?

Hello All,

I am new to this banding community. I wish to say that this site has been most helpful to me in terms of feeling good about my decision to proceed with banding.

I will have my telephone consultation with both clinics (Yau and Cobourn/Mumford) next week and will have to make a final decision on which one to go with. I reside in Edmonton, Alberta.

I am hoping that those of you who have considered and completed the procedure with either Dr. Yau or Dr. Cobourn/Mumford can share with me how you come to your final decision on which physician to go with. I know that both clinics and physicians have excellent reputation and going with either would probably be fine but this knowledge does not help me to narrow down my decision.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.:help:

Hello Cat,

I am from the Edmonton area too, although I am not banded yet I thought I would respond with my thoughts. First Congrats on making the decision to be banded! Second there is tons of info here and one thing I would check on is fills. I know that I can get mine in St. Albert from a Dr. Dr. Cobourn has trained to do them.

I think the Yoda's go to Dr. Yau and I am sure they could answer about fills there.

Great choice! Cat...

Hi Cat

I am scheduled for surgury with Dr. Mumford on May 3rd. I have heard wonderful things about all three doctors. You could look at the website RateMDs.com to see what other people have written regarding each of them. I would also consider how convenient their respective locations are. Dr. C/Dr.M are more in the suburbs near Toronto and more convenient from the airport if you are renting a car. If you are planning to use public transit and you are planning to stay right in the city it may be better to consider Dr. Yau. If it appears to you that they are more or less the same then it becomes more a practical decision for the surgury and, as Leslie said, for the fills and post -op.

Good luck with your decision

Joanne

Hi...welcome and good luck.

Basically, you've chosen two very well respected and experienced clinics and you will likely know which choice is best FOR YOU once you have done the consults. Everyone is different and look for different things....the reason you chose one over the other may be the very reason another would NOT chose that person (clinic)...that sort of thing.

Compare prices, post-op care, experience/knowledge, pre-op diets, etc....you will get a good "feel" for both once you have your consults.

As for me, I chose TLBC because their doctors were the pioneers in Canada with the surgery, the clinic was top notch and "looked" much more state of the art than the others, I was comfortable with the docs, staff, the pre-op diet was NOT Optifast, the lifetime free fills/de-fills, the post-operative care offered and provided etc. Also, the majority of staff on-site have been banded and so they can really relate to you; not to mention they are walking billboards of great success stories!

Overall though, whether you go with TLBC or the Coborn clinic.....you will be in good hands.

It is a very personal choice, keep in mind when you make the choice a lot of things your relationship is something that is lifelong. Go with who you are the most comfortable with.

I choose Yau because of his skill as a lap surgeon (he is ranked as one of the top one in the country) I was in the first 100 patients banded so Yau and Joffe were the only choices for banding back then. But knowing what I know now I would still choose TLBC, partially because they are the pioneers with the most experience. But some other points in favour with them for me:

I like the fact that TLBC has several banded patients working for the clinic so they understand the struggles you go through and can relate on a different level.

I also like the fact that TLBC also has skills in other weight loss surgeries, while you may never consider having another type of surgery it is nice to know if something goes wrong your surgeon who you have a relationship with already can help you and fix what is wrong or revise you to another weight loss surgery.

I like the fact that TLBC uses bands from all the band manufacturers and has relationships with all of them so they choose the best band for your body type, not just the best band in a limited manufacturers array.

I like that TLBC has post op support groups so they have face to face meetings, a nutritionist who can help you who specializes in WLS patients, I like the fact that they brought in a personal trainer to work with patients at one time. It show they are thinking about post op needs as well as pre op needs

I like the fact that they are going to start putting on, online seminars for patients who are out of town so you can listen in as a podcast or do the seminar live and partcipate.

I like that they have one on one counselling with staff if you are stuck to help to motivate you.

I like that they have meetings (bowling nights etc) for patients

I really jost like Patrick Yau and TLBC staff, Kathy P, Nisrine, Maral etc. and I trust them to keep my confidences and take care of me as a bandster

I know some of this stuff isn't as relevant for out of town patients but it is important in outlining a committment to their patients to saying they will do what it takes to help make you a success at banding. I also know no matter what if I need them they are just a phone call away.

Good luck on your decision, it is very personal, and very important.

I was banded with Dr. Cobourn. He was very informative and professional. He was able to answer all questions I had and made me feel very comfortable. I did not speak to any other physicians as Dr. Cobourn was the closest for me.

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to offer me your feedback.

Leslielee, it is nice to know that another Edmontonian is going through the procedure. We'll be able to compare notes in the future.

Joanne, good to know about the clinic location since I have no clue being from Edmonton.

Yoda, I have thought about the fact that Dr. Yau is the pioneer of the field here in Canada. My biggest concern with Dr. Yau is the follow-up procedures - in particular, getting the fills. I wish they would rectify this matter. Dr. Cobourn's clinic not only provide you with a direct referral but also include the fees of the fill within the initial $16000. I am guessing that the lack of out-of-town follow-up assistance from Dr. Yau's clinic has resulted in some potential lapBanders going to Dr. Cobourn. To be honest, I would like to go to Dr. Yau but may end up going to Dr. Cobourn for the reason mentioned above.

Susieq321, your feedback on TLCB is very detailed and all the points deserve consideration. I look forward to talking to Nisrine next week. At the present time, I do feel positive about TLCB but the issue of post-op fills (as mentioned to Yoda above) is still a concern for me. Maybe Nisrine can offer some viable solutions.

Lferland, you look great and thank you for your feedback on Dr. Cobourn.

At this preliminary stage, I prefer Dr. Yau but is concerned with post-op fill assistance. Today, I went to see an internist to discuss my high blood pressure. She was completely not supportive of my decision to undergo the Lap-Band procedure. She thinks that if I work out some more and eat less, it will do the trick even after I told her that I have been eating healthy and keeping active but that the lbs still just won't melt away beyond a certain point. The reason I am sharing this is show how judgemental and presumtious people can be (maybe more so among health professionals) so to get pre-arranged post-op support is so important. Otherwise, I would have to find a health professional that is willing to assist me without being judegmental. If I have to ask my own family physician (as suggested by Dr. Yau's CSR) and she says NO, it would really put me (and maybe also her) in an awkward position.

Again ladies, I truly appreciate your feedback and would of course welcome any additional feedback that you and others may wish to offer.

I think you will find Dr.Cobourn's out of town people pay 100.00/fill,unless something has just changed. Good luck with your decision.

Hey Cat....if you find your family physician is not supportive....I'd say it is time to look for a new physician....seriously!

Re. Dr. Coburn and fills ....all they do is refer you to someone.....you still have to pay anywhere from $50 to $250 per fill......(ie. if you don't get it done at this clinic).

Yoda, I have thought about the fact that Dr. Yau is the pioneer of the field here in Canada. My biggest concern with Dr. Yau is the follow-up procedures - in particular, getting the fills. I wish they would rectify this matter. Dr. Cobourn's clinic not only provide you with a direct referral but also include the fees of the fill within the initial $16000. I am guessing that the lack of out-of-town follow-up assistance from Dr. Yau's clinic has resulted in some potential lapBanders going to Dr. Cobourn. To be honest, I would like to go to Dr. Yau but may end up going to Dr. Cobourn for the reason mentioned above.

Cat, I am from Calgary, and recently banded by Dr. Coburn. Just to clarify, if you have your fills done at the clinic they are free for life, but as you are out of town you will need to pay for them.

I know there is at least a couple of Dr.s doing fills in Edmonton for Coburn patients. I think the going rate in AB is about $100-$150, that is what I pay in Calgary. I cannot stress to you enough the importance of that follow up care and fills. It is even more important that all the other stuff in my mind. If you do go with Dr. Yau, make sure you have arranged a place to get your fills ahead of time. I am very confident in my family Dr.s ability, but I would not ask him to do my fills, I want someone who is sure they know what they are doing and have done these before.

Also, being in Alberta,make sure that you apply to Alberta health care to be reimbursed for part of your surgery. I just got my cheque for $1036 yesterday from them. I can give you the details if you dont already have them.

Andrew

Hey Cat....if you find your family physician is not supportive....I'd say it is time to look for a new physician....seriously

Easier said than done these days in Alberta. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a family Dr. The walk in time at my clinic often exceeds a 7hr wait.

Andrew

Easier said than done these days in Alberta. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a family Dr. The walk in time at my clinic often exceeds a 7hr wait.

Andrew

Yeah, I know...same thing in Ontario...it is so ridiculous. I thought it might be a bit better in AB...guess not!! Sucks, eh?

Yeah, I know...same thing in Ontario...it is so ridiculous. I thought it might be a bit better in AB...guess not!! Sucks, eh?

Sadly, I think it is worse. With the number of people that are moving to Calgary each year there just arent the Dr.s to keep up with the demand. Also, in AB many family Dr.s are closing thier practises due to increased costs and no increases in fees paid by the province.

I was lucky to get my Dr. who had just moved to our clinic, he is the best Dr. I have ever had, but there are so many people without Dr.s these days that the walkin clinics are insane.

Andrew

Andrew - every time you post something your ticker has moved down!!!

You rock, buddy!

Susan

Thanks, hula girl has been doing the 2(lb) step the last couple if weeks which I am happy with, although I was down to 302 on Saturday after I was deathly ill with the skittles that have been going around our house.

I cant wait to break into the 200's

Andrew