Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WA-Seattle, Tacoma, Kitsap or King counties

Would love to see some type of support meetings started in the Seattle or surrounding area. I do have a monthly meeting with my surgeon's office where we get about 15 to 20 people per meeting, but feel that a weekly meeting would be more helpful. Anyone in the Seattle, Tacoma, Kitsap or King counties interested?

Heck, we weren't even able to organize a single get together of this group in the Seattle last year ...

It's challenging but you can do it. We had the same problem here in NYC. I've been on this site since December 2012 and it took till January of this year to finally have our first get together. You just have to find a place, set a date and send out email after email. We had five people at our first meet and greet. I hope we have 15 or 20 this time around. And hopefully even more the next time. Just take the lead and go for it. Good luck.

All you need is to want to get together. You can be as organized as you want to be or you can be as casual as you like. I met gowalking on this site when I joined after having my surgery she lives in NYC and I live about 50 miles away out on Long Island, but we made it work!

We got together and we enjoyed each others company, we found that a larger group would need a little more structure then it does to have just a handful of people. We were lucky enough to be able to meet with Alex and help bring the idea to the masses of BP.

For me being a part of these groups is a given. It's something that I believe is a necessity for success after WLS and there is no question about it for me. I am also an active advocate for research and treatment of obesity. It's not for lack of something to do in my personal or professional life, it's because it is something that touches my life in every aspect of my being.

Being overweight impacts more then the chairs I sit in. It impacts me as a person and every person I interact with, so it is a breath of fresh air to meet with others who have walked down the same path and who can relate to each other. It is in sharing our stories and experiences that helps us to better understand ourselves and those around us and find the strength and courage that we need to make changes in our lives and the path we walk.

So go for it, set up your meeting and greet and if you have one friend that comes to the meeting, you have your group started! The next month reach out again and maybe that friend will bring a friend and before you know it your in a prell commercial! (Only kidding) Sometimes all it takes is for someone to open the door, and throw out the welcome mat.

I would love to meet and socialize with some of the local folks on this board, don't get me wrong. I am just saying that many people already go to their surgeon's support group or, in my case, I choose to get my support online. I went to one from my surgeon's office in person (post op) meeting and decided it wasn't for me.

I did attend several meetings at Overlake hospital in Bellevue pre-op and it was very helpful in me deciding to proceed with bariatric surgery however. They have a monthly (or maybe it is twice a month) with a very good leader and it is open to all.

Anyway, I do agree that the only way to make something like this happen is to just DO IT because just talking about it didn't work last summer...LOL

If you haven't seen this thread, you might want to post something here:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/284945-any-washington-state-sleevers/page-6

Edited by CowgirlJane

I'm in - and I live in the Eastside (of Seattle) area.

My surgery is next week - and I've gone to that Overlake group too. It's quite good, I agree. Randy does a terrific job of moderating it. They are also open to allowing others to come, not just people using Overlake's WLS clinic, and they meet again on Saturday.

Please PM me if you'd like to lead or co-lead this support group!

I'm in Everett, I'd love to participate.

I am in Mountlake Terrace and still pre-op. I would love to participate or even be an organizer as I go through this process. This is Snohomish County, where I live...

Edited by cryss

I am in Mountlake Terrace and still pre-op. I would love to participate or even be an organizer as I go through this process.

We'll provide materials and training. PM me if you're interested.

Count me in. i would love to attend and meet others in our area. I'm in Auburn between Seattle and Tacoma. I would be happy to help out with organizing and coordinating the event.

I'm in Kitsap County and I met a woman from this site who lives in Gig Harbor who is interested in starting a WLS group in this area. I am very interested too. I live in Bremerton.

Thanks to those who have replied. I am currently looking for locations. I may have someone in the Kitsap area that can help and one of the social workers at my Bariatric clinic lives over here and practices part time over in the Kitsap area so will be asking him next week if he knows of any place that is available. I was thinking a once a month meeting, probably a saturday for no more than 2 hours at least for starters.