Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you that take stool softener, how often do you take them? Only as needed? Two or three times a week or every day?

Pooky... I have issues with getting constipated very easily... Maybe because I take narcotics on a regular basis so my surgeon told me to take 1 stool softener nightly... If I still have issues take 2-3 as needed. I also have to make sure I get a minimum of 64oz of Water daily.

I always tended to be constipated even before my surgery. After surgery the problem was worse. My PA told me to take 4 stool softeners every night. The generic version is VERY cheap at Walmart. Problem solved, I'm happy to say. :-)

Because I had my gallbladder removed many years before my RNY, I hadn't had too much of an issue with Constipation. That all changed after my RNY. My surgeon recommends that I take a stool softener every other day.

OK I've gone 4 days without going. But I don't really feel like I have to either. I have been taking 2 softeners a day for about a week now and it was working good so I'm wondering if I just cleaned myself out and don't have a need to go yet? I'd be worried if I felt I had to go but couldn't...but I don't.

Edited by pookybear

For those of you that take stool softener, how often do you take them? Only as needed? Two or three times a week or every day?

Hi pookybear

I had to get on Iron tablets 5x a week what has worked for me that is a natural stool softener is this tea I get from the Asian store call ballerina tea. Don't get the extra strengh one it gives you stomach cramps but the regular strength work great. My nationalist said it was fine. It's all herbs and you drink a cup of tea and depending on how backed up you are you will have a bowel movement that day. Good luck

Is anyone using colace? Is it okay to take the little gel caps? I am 2 weeks out and looking for help in this area.

I take the Walmart generic version of colace daily and they are gel caps, my dr. Said I can take 1-3 daily as needed.. Depending on my severity I change up the dose.

I had problems before surgery and still have problems. My doc suggested Sennaca. Its natural and I dont have bad cramps