Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant & banded- advice needed!

Hi guys! I've always been able to count on this forum when I need advice!

I was banded in April 06, and have been dealing w/ a horrible infection this whole time. It's a long story.... but needless to say I DON'T recommend going to Mexico!!! Because of the infection, I wasn't able to get a fill this whole time, and had only lost 40lbs right after the surgery. FINALLY a couple weeks ago, I was at a point to where (even though the infection was still there) my doctor agreed to fill me. I was sooooo excited to be able to start loosing weight again, and have lost 14lbs since the fill. IRONICALLY... the SAME day I got my fill, I found out I was pregnant!!! From what I've read on the internet, I will now have to get an unfill so that the baby can get the proper nutrition. Is that right? Does anybody know?????

I informed my current (american) lap band dr that I was pregnant. She didn't mention anything about an unfill... just to stop taking my antibiotics, and that we wouldn't be able to do anything more about the infection until after the baby is here. I believe after the baby is here, she is going to want to remove the band all together. I feel like this next 7 mos is my last chance to loose weight w/ the band. But that can't be good for the baby(??)

I haven't gotten the chance to see an OB doc yet. Im trying to make sure the food I do eat is nutritious and taking Vitamins as well. Does anyone know if the OB dr will require that I have an unfill?

Wow, I feel for you. Both of the things you are doing are things we pray for, but not at the same time, so this must be really hard for you. First, please, let me say, get a second opinion with another lap band doctor. If you are carrying an infection, I don't understand how the doctor can say.."well, we'll wait until after the baby is born to deal with this'. Infections can get into the bloodstream and cause major damage, including death. Pregnancy takes a lot out of the body, so having an infection while pregnant is a lot more intense then having one while not pregnant. DO NOT IGNORE THIS, PLEASE!!!! :omg: Besides, I wouldn't think an infection is good for the baby. Also, I would get with an OB/GYN as quickly as possible and get the two doctors talking (but NOT the lap band doctor you spoke of in your letter). Your health and now the baby's health are the most important thing, and you can always get rebanded (or hopefully just refilled) after the baby is born. You are young, and that means a bunch. Your body has more strength and can rebound from all this if you listen to good doctors, take you Vitamins and do some reserch too.

I hope all works out for you, and I am happy for you on the pregnancy, but I can understand the dissappointment on the lapband. You and the baby will be in my prayers. :)

Thanks for your quick reply!

I do agree that I should get a second opinion. I was a little shocked when she said that I would just have to live w/ the infection (without treatment) until after the baby is here. I do trust her though, she is a great Dr and took me on as a patient when no other American Dr would (that I could find).

She did have me on levaquin, which I'm unable to take while pregnant. And like I said, I think we were at the point of discussing removal of the band. But that would be too risky of a surgery right now (I'm guessing). I have another appt in a couple weeks, so we'll see what the plan is from here. But in the meantime I will definately take your advice and do more research.

Thanks again for your advice and prayers!!