Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced bandsters input needed!

Tell me what you think......

I was banded on August 23rd. My first fill is suppose to be Nov 23rd. Well I leave for Vegas on Dec 2nd for my 30th birthday and I am contemplating on getting the fill when I return. I have heard that sometimes the fill doesn't kick in till a week later and what happens if it kicks in a week and 2 days later when I arrive in Vegas and the doc filled it too much?

What would you experienced bandsters do? Would you wait or go for it?:cry

You do not want to be on vacation far from home and your doctor and be filled to tight. No fun then! I waited til I got home from vacation to have my fill I went to Vegas also .

You don't want to be far from a doctor that can unfil you in case too much restriction suddenly kicks in. I live in Vegas, and the doctors here won't touch patients banded elsewhere. There's only one doctor here that does fills - his name is Dr. Francis Teng. If you insist on getting your fill first, maybe you should call Teng's office and ask if they'll do a partial un-fill in case you suddenly become too restricted while on vacation.

Wait until you get back from Vegas! Why take a chance messing up a great trip? Just try to eat "Bandster" portions and have a wonderful birthday!:D

Odd Man Out, here! First, two months is a little longer wait than usual, so is there any reason it couldn't be moved to the 9th or 16th? Just thinking aloud. And there is IMHO no reason to put it off. Many of us drive or fly hundreds or even a thousand miles or more to have a fill. We wait around a day or two and then fly home. I think you have plenty of time.

But if he could move it to the 16th, you'd have enough time to adjust to it so you could at least have a bite or two on Thanksgiving. If your tummy is senstitive, two days after a fill on the 23rd, you might still be on liquids...no fun.

I'd wait till you get back from Vegas. The band is a long term tool and isn't going anywhere. I am sure your still restricted enough that you won't eat as much as pre-band and considering this will be your first fill I think it would be safer just to wait so that you can be around in case you do feel too filled. Just MY opinion. Teresa:)

It is pretty individual for fill times. I am just about 5 months out and haven't had a fill yet, while most others really need one at the 6-8 week period. I think it just depends on how tight they got it on there and how you individually react to certain levels of restriction. I find I still have to be very careful about chewing or deal with the consequences of a PB and my weight hasn't actually plateaued for more than one week. Being over-filled is more serious than being slightly underfilled, especially if you are still losing. I have a long ways to go before I reach goal and I don't want to run out of fill room either. Best wishes, Teresa

I was told by my doctor they wait 3 moths for a fill because they want the band to scare in place and they want my body completely healed. I lost 33 pounds my first month. I was on 2 weeks of liquid (protein shake, milk, broth and juice) now I am in my puree stage and my meals consist of no more than a 1/2 cup at each meal.

Breakfast

3 tablespoons of fruit

3 tablespoons of a starch

2 tablespoons of milk product

snack

Protein shake

lunch

3 tablespoons of Protein

3 tablespoons of veggies

2 tablespoons of a starch

Snack

Protein Shake

dinner

3 tablespoons of protein

3 tablespoons of veggies

2 tablespoons of a starch

Snack

Protein Shake

I can mix up the tablespoon amounts as long as I don't exceed 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup)

I called my doc yesterday and I should be getting a call back today and I am going to tell him I am hungry! Well see if they will either do the fill sooner or if I can have more to eat.

My surgeon said that fill times vary per person. You need to get a fill once you've stopped losing weight for a few week period. There is no set time to get one because everyone is different. Go with how you feel.

I like the quote it's a lifetime tool, enjoy your vacation, then get the fill. That's my opinion.