Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to avoid band slips & erosion

I eroded, and I was a perfect bandster, never used NSAIDs neverdrank carbonation, never overfilled, always called my doctorwhen somethingout of the norm was going on. I ate good, did not rely on my band to do al lthe work. I did everything I was told to do and I eroded. I was fortunate though to have such great success with my band by losing over 100 lbs in the 18 months I had it. It has been a year and a half since I eroded and I am maintaining my weight loss. I miss my band but I am determined to never go back to where I was pre band. Erosion is a fluke thing, can happen to anyone. The only thing you need to do is use your band to the best of your advantage and make it work for you in the event you ever erode. Dont foold around, lose the weight while you have the chance.

I eroded, and I was a perfect bandster, Dont foold around, lose the weight while you have the chance.

I read about a doctor who had done almost 1,000 lap bands who said he'd never seen and erosion. I asked my Dr. about that. He said it didn't surprise him as erosions are rare. I myself and not worried about erosion. Eating crap I'm not supposed to and PBing enough to cause a slip, yeah, that concerns me.

Eating crap I'm not supposed to and PBing enough to cause a slip, yeah, that concerns me.

Ditto Here!!!! I can be a good bandster.. I know I can.... but what happens down the road when I'm 60 lbs down... looking and feeling good.. and that pizza looks gooooooooood... (that's where the old me would go off plan and start the spiral back up the scale)

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow and welcome to bandland!:clap2: I know you have been patiently waiting for this day and you have been here supporting everyone else on the way. God Bless, Sunnysea

My big day is this coming Monday, April 30th, 7:30a. I'll sure miss the pizza and the big steaks but I wouldn't be able to enjoy them if I was dead.

Just like La Madam (Michelle, good to see you post and that you are still doing so well) but different in the sense that mine was a slip. I was a poster perfect bandster, right portions, no carbonation, no overeating/pouch packing, no NSAIDS, no pbing or sliming for months, by no means overfilled, and I had a slip. Being unfilled and mostly on liquids and soft food for 3 months did not resolve it. I am lucky that because I had no erosion that they were able to remove and replace the band. And because I had lost 90% of my weight at the same time I had a low profile port placed right above my left hip bone (never even notice it now and it was really starting to show when I wore more clingy clothes and sometimes uncomfortable when exercising). I also had a lower body lift done. So, yes there are some things to help prevent a slip but there can be other causes. I think it is very hard to be a perfect bandster as most of us do have an occasional treat and/or calories from alcohol

Have I been perfect since my rebanding, no (I still enjoy occasional ice cream/couple bites of dessert or a glass of wine) but I exercise more, have an even lower amount of fill, and am very careful and see my doctor if necessary. I have only had two fills since the surgery (almost a year) and could use a little more but like La Madam (and in case I ever lose the band), I watch my portions, I do not allow myself to gain more than 5 pounds before I buckle down again, and NEVER overeat, if anything I eat much less.

La Madam is such a wonderful example that the band is a tool and hopefully if we have to lose it, we now have the tools (emotionally) to maintain the loss. It is difficult because those hunger pains come roaring back and your head tells you that it is time to eat. When that happens I just drink another bottle of Water. I will NOT give in (Michelle, you were my inspiration even though you lost the band). I was totally prepared that I would wake up from surgery with a lower body lift and no band. I knew I could accept that thanks to La Madam. I consider myself lucky to still have one.

So, this is getting long but IMHO for a slip or erosion there are some known causes but there are also unknown reasons why things happen to our bodies and how the band reacts. I personally feel that my slip was possibly from exercising too much. I wanted to try to lose as much of my loose skin as possible before considering plastic surgery. Possibly all the crunches I was doing? Just my personal theory.

Hello! New here...but wanted to respond about the tips for erosion, slippage, reflux, etc. The main point is to get a comfortable fill. One that is not too tight, but jusssttt right! I am at a good point right now with no reflux or heartburn, or that overly full feeling after a meal.

I recently had a filler'er up after a seriously life threatening overfill that occured last year. I had slippage after I was over filled and couldn't get back to the doctor for a week. (My doctor was 4 hours away and the local doctor wouldn't see me bc he didn't do the surgery). With 5 days of constant vomitting and ZERO Fluid intake for that time period I was hospitalized for massive dehydration. I couldn't get down 5ccs of fluids without them coming back up. I lost 16lbs of fluids in 5 days. They had to give me fluids to get blood work drawn.

That whole ordeal of vomiting cost me my pouch. My stomach slipped and now my pouch is larger than it should be. My band works but I this past year I started to gain weight at a rapid amount with no change in my diet. Well, my thyroid was checked and whaddya know...I am now hypothyroid AND trying to get that managed. I feel like I have been double whammied!

As far as changing our eating habits with the band, what's starting to work for me is that 6 week body makeover that's kind of like the Atkins plan. I am finally reaching for better food at each meal now that I have an appropriate fill that was much more conservative than what I have in the past. It has taken me 3 years since being banded to stop relying on the hard stop.

People tell me that they are envious that I got the band for over eating. Only thing it doesn't fix is the psychological aspect of being banded. I really don't think I would do well not banded! LOL....

I agree with every one here, I never want to loose my band.I am only 7 weeks post-op and have already lost 39 lbs.I don't know how much of the weight loss is because of the band or just that I have convinced my self that I am not hungry. I eat very little, and never get the feeling of being full. I just set out very small portions and tell my self that is all I can have, and am satisified with what I eat.If nothing else the band has worked on my head (for now)!

I also agree with others that if I was to loose my band it would be a tough row to hoe. (STANDS UP, FACES THE GROUP. "Hello my name is Alan and I admit I am a foodaholic") I was able to quit smoking in Aug of 2001 and still some days crave a smoke so bad it drives me nuts, but I know if I have one, I might as well go buy a carton! OK I'm done now!

307/268/190ish

I'M WITH THE BAND

Tracy, i just saw your new signature! You are doing SO great! You are looking fantastic girl!

Can your band slip when you've had no fill yet? I've had a hard time eating lately. Can't seem to eat before PM and by then I'm starved. I seem to be able to eat salad but can get no protein/meat in without feeling like I'm going to vomit after the first bite. I did manage to get a small amount of ham in last night that had been pureed in the magic bullet. I canceled my first fill due to this problem. I'm also having a hard time getting in my Water, could this be the problem? I'm scared to death to call my Dr for fear of what he may say, (You have slipped). I have no reflux and have also lost no weight the last few weeks. I'm so stressed over thisI feel ashamed and find myself in tears, I failed. HELP

Can your band slip when you've had no fill yet? I've had a hard time eating lately. Can't seem to eat before PM and by then I'm starved. I seem to be able to eat salad but can get no protein/meat in without feeling like I'm going to vomit after the first bite. I did manage to get a small amount of ham in last night that had been pureed in the magic bullet. I canceled my first fill due to this problem. I'm also having a hard time getting in my Water, could this be the problem? I'm scared to death to call my Dr for fear of what he may say, (You have slipped). I have no reflux and have also lost no weight the last few weeks. I'm so stressed over thisI feel ashamed and find myself in tears, I failed. HELP

Bands can slip for no apparant reason, though the most frequent scenario by far is being too tight and trying to live with it - not the case with you.

You really should have a barium swallow test done, just to make sure. But even if there was a slip, it would not be you who had failed, but the band.

Some people experience total restriction with a slip, and some are suddenly "wide open", so there are no definite symptoms. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor. Putting it off can do no good.

I'm scared to death to call my Dr for fear of what he may say, (You have slipped). I have no reflux and have also lost no weight the last few weeks. I'm so stressed over thisI feel ashamed and find myself in tears, I failed. HELP

I agree with Carlene, get your BUTT to the Dr. ASAP. Don't pass GO, don't collect $200, call and make an appt. today. Putting this off could be a big problem down the road. Remember, the doctor is on YOUR SIDE, he's not the enemy. Steer your own ship and get out of these choppy waters. We're all behind you. Airwayman

Thanks Carlene & Airwayman for the support. I have a call in to my surgeon.

I'll preface this by saying that I have no real basis for this, its just my gut instinct, pardon the pun.

I do feel "safer" being looser. I just think that to be loose enough that you can eat most foods may require more in the way of willpower and just plain holding out on foods that you shouldnt overeat etc is to be less likely to overstretch your pouch or get blocked and PB.

I know, I know, if it were that easy none of us would need a band. But I was as bad a case as anyone, and I've managed after almost 18 months of banding to pretty much break a lot of those bad habits. You CAN do it over time, it takes a long time, but you can do it.

I can still "overeat" to the point where at times I stopped losing, and I"m sure I could gain if I wasnt careful. But I cant pig out, grossly overeat or eat a lot of things like bread, pizza etc. Its enough to keep me on the straight and narrow, but the weight loss, that for me takes the same work it ever did. Maintenance is what my band helps me with more than anything.

That's because its relatively loose, loose enough that I can eat a sandwich. I create a good part of the calorie deficit by exercise, rather than eating tiny amounts.

Its worked for me, it may not work for everyone, and I may suffer slippage or erosion down the track. But I do feel I'm doing what I reasonably can to avoid those complications.