Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to avoid band slips & erosion

I was constantly be overfilled for a year and then two to 3 weeks later it would get tighter and I ended up with reflux and a slip that has now corrected itself

Just making sure I understand you correctly, your band slipped but it corrected itself? How did that happen? Did it fall back into correct place when you weren't as filled? :) I'm very curious!

I have also had a slip that went back into place after being unfilled for two weeks. I wholeheartly agree that being filled too aggressively makes the band slip, I would caution anyone to please be careful of this. I try to look at it this way, I did not gain all my weight in one year, not even two, so what if it takes a while. You still have to live.... so I have decided that a little fill here, a little fill there, some exercise and it will come off.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :nervous :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I completely agree with the analogy of the alcoholic resuming drinking "socially" and the band being removed. Face it folks, we are foodaholics for life. Removing the band will, eventually, increase hunger and there is a significant chance a bandster without a band will, over time, resume the old lifestyle and gain weight...a lot of weight. Just like the alcoholic or an ex-cigarette smoker, we're addicted forever. JB

I just experienced the same situation. I got my first fill and it felt a little tight but i was getting some stuff down. Then a week ago it really tightened up and by the time I was able to see the doctor for an unfill the band had slipped. I am now unfilled and will be that way for 6 weeks :) and then will be able to get another fill.

I so agree on the aggressive fill scenero. I think a lot of doctors are trying to get higher weight loss records so they sometimes overfill instead of gradually reaching a good fill level. I was constantly be overfilled for a year and then two to 3 weeks later it would get tighter and I ended up with reflux and a slip that has now corrected itself and I have found that at my lower fill level I can eat some bread and some pasta; but must be slowly and not a lot.....which has made for a much slower weight loss; but definitely less painful. I think some doctors feel you should only have Protein and salad..........but I tell you in order to get a chicken breast down - your fill also has to allow some bread.....cause if you can't eat the one........you'll have a heck of a time getting the Protein down also.

Yes, that is one of the many theories. For some time they thought NSAIDs were the evil-doers. (Motrin, Naprosyn, etc) They realized that is not accurate. But they are still looking.

Any chance you can point me towards some info/literature that supports this? I am cautiously on anti-inflammatories for a back injury and am very interested in this about-face in this theory.

Any chance you can point me towards some info/literature that supports this? I am cautiously on anti-inflammatories for a back injury and am very interested in this about-face in this theory.

I'll try to find it. I read soooo many on line articles and journals that I don't remember where I read one thing from another. I'll look for it.

"Either way, I realize and have come to terms that there WILL be another surgery eventually. The band is not designed to be life long only long term to change eating habits so that you learn to live without the band."

I am very interested to know where this information comes from - what is the source? Inamed? This is not in any literature I've read or heard about. From what I've read there is no reason to ever have the band removed, unless there is erosion or too much slippage. Please provide the source.

Thanks!

Kelli

She Smiles- I don't have any literature, hopefully wasabubble can find some for you.. but my doctor is weary of NSAIDS also and told me to try to stick to tylenol/aleeve for now. I miss my advil lately, I have bad back inflammation due to scoliosis/overweight/herniated disk. I would love to find out NSAIDS aren't responsible for anything adverse on the band.. Of course my flip side is, I am expecting to be in a lot less pain once I lose 50+lbs!

My doc has always said ' if you can keep the band for three years your chances of keeping it for life are good' AND it is meant to stay in 'for life'. I think he just meant most problems with erosion/slippage tend to show up within the first three years. I'm praying I can keep it for life - it's awful clear to me I am a food addict and while some of my behaviors are changing I'm sad to say if it came out I would probably be eating again like before.

I am open to that being different but it's been almost 2 years and I still find myself fighting lots of bad habits, unconscious behaviors etc. I recognize this is not true for everyone but I'm a nut/hard head case.

She Smiles- I don't have any literature, hopefully wasabubble can find some for you.. but my doctor is weary of NSAIDS also and told me to try to stick to tylenol/aleeve for now. I miss my advil lately, I have bad back inflammation due to scoliosis/overweight/herniated disk. I would love to find out NSAIDS aren't responsible for anything adverse on the band.. Of course my flip side is, I am expecting to be in a lot less pain once I lose 50+lbs!

The reason NSAIDs are not great for us is because they can harm your pouch. If it dissolves in your pouch vs. your stomach then it messes with the inside of your pouch.

The reality is that they still can't identify exactly what causes erosion. For some time they thought it was chemicals such as NSAIDs, caffeine, etc. Then they decided it was the band was too tight. Then they decided it was the way it was stitched into place.

The truth is nobody really knows and it hasn't been proven one way or another. The study I referred to earlier was brand new and they have only ruled out NSAIDs as a cause of erosion, they still don't know why it happens.

I have bad back inflammation due to scoliosis/overweight/herniated disk. I would love to find out NSAIDS aren't responsible for anything adverse on the band.. Of course my flip side is, I am expecting to be in a lot less pain once I lose 50+lbs!

I strongly believe that my back pain was due to my excess weight, I had LOTS of tests, and lots of physio which didn't help all that much - I used to take the anti-inflammatories daily, and now, I take them maybe once a week or two when it flares up. I think my loss of 70lbs has been the main contributor to this, so hopefully you will have the same results. Back pain is the worst!

That said, if I do take it, I take a soluble feldene tablet immediately before eating my dinner as advised by my GP and band surgeon. There is less chance of it doing any damage if it is disolved in Water (and won't sit as a large hunk in your pouch) and will be "worked through" the pouch in the next hour or so with the food.

I take a time release NSAID (Arthrotec) regularly. My band surgeon said it was fine to take it and it has not caused me any problems, and I am over 2 years post-op.

If I take regular aspirin it bothers me a lot. I burp the aspirin taste back up for hours. Pre-band this was not an issue.

I think whatever meds you take, wash them down very thoroughly so they don't sit in your pouch. Buy a pill splitter and cut the large ones into smaller pieces.

"Either way, I realize and have come to terms that there WILL be another surgery eventually. The band is not designed to be life long only long term to change eating habits so that you learn to live without the band."

I am very interested to know where this information comes from - what is the source? Inamed? This is not in any literature I've read or heard about. From what I've read there is no reason to ever have the band removed, unless there is erosion or too much slippage. Please provide the source.

Thanks!

Kelli

I went looking for it, but couldn't find it.

Last year there was a thread about this. Someone (it may have been Wheetsin, but I am not sure) quoted the Inamed handbook and page # where it said that the band was never intended to be a lifetime device.

I did find this thread that discusses the bands durability:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24476&highlight=intended+inamed+life+device

Someone (it may have been Wheetsin, but I am not sure) quoted the Inamed handbook and page # where it said that the band was never intended to be a lifetime device.

I'm not going to leave my band in forever. I'm going to schedule surgery to have it removed and live the rest of my life without any restriction. I plan to schedule this surgery for April 30, 2047. On that date I will have had the band in place for exactly 40 years and I'll be 99 years old. When I get home from the hospital the sky's the limit.