Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over a year later and I still have a leak...

@ thank you :) it means a lot to me that people are wishing me the best, it gives me strength since it gets very hard at times.

@rj's/beginning wow, that sounds so rough. I guess I've been lucky that I haven't had to have another surgery yet, my new and super awesome doctor wanted things to hopefully heal on their own so he has tried to get in there as little as possible. I feel very, very lucky to have found him, he's even seeing me pro bono( he doesn't take my insurance). He's a very nice man, in fact all drs I have had to deal with over here have been extremely nice and encouraging. I just hope my insurance approves a cat scan soon so we can start working on the next step.

@@metoonow I'm sorry you've also have had complications but I'm so glad that your leak has healed itself and it's not stubborn like mine :) don't worry about the weight gain on tpn, I hated it too! But it'll come right off when you're off of it.

Thank you I just can't wait to be free again I work 2 jobs and to sit home is killing me.... Also good because of the Crohns I am not a candidate to be converted to the RNY....wish us all well and quick healing

Sitting around at home gets old very quick :) I hope your next appointment brings you all good news and you're back to your normal life soon.

I am so sorry to hear about the leaks and all here. My heart goes out to all of you. At the same time, thank you for your honesty in letting others know the situation. I don't think that this information needs to frighten people but to educate them into considerations and to be prepared for any issues.

That's what happened to me and another friend who was on TPN. I have gained some but it is Water weight from edema.

@@metoonow I'm sorry you've also have had complications but I'm so glad that your leak has healed itself and it's not stubborn like mine :) don't worry about the weight gain on tpn, I hated it too! But it'll come right off when you're off of it.

@LilMissDiva Do you mind me asking why they're converting you to a bypass so long down the sleeve road?

No I don't mind. Ever since I have been lap banded I've dealt with extremely bad GERD, and when i was sleeved it was not as well known that the sleeve can make it even worse back in 2010. It was okay for a long time but in the past 6 months or so it has gotten so bad that I can't even keep a bite down without it urping back up. It's causing me a horrible cough and I sound raspy sick all the time. Not only that it's causing me very bad gastritis.

Tests have been done and tests showed that though I do not have really bad trauma such as ulcers or cancer, I do have some inflammation, a very misshapen stomach (due from surgery) and my esophagus pretty much doesn't hold anything in. So, my new surgeon is going to revise me to gastric bypass since fixing the sleeve and doing a Rose procedure would be far too risky. I'd have a lot more risk of leaks and posible revision to bypass anyway.

ETA: leaving the situation as is would be a certainty to end up with esophageal cancer or barretts esophagus. Def not a risk I'm willing to take just so others will think of me as a "success"... lol I really don't care what others think. I have to save my quality of life and my life in general.

@LilMissDiva Do you mind me asking why they're converting you to a bypass so long down the sleeve road?

Edited by LilMissDiva

You were able to get another surgeon? In this area, the big 2 places have non compete agreements. Then the one other hospital that does them in the area will not perform them because certain doctors "fraternize" with other doctors. Either way, they won't do it once you're touched by another doctor.

I also developed GERD/reflux after surgery and its been bad at times. Just depends on what I eat. So I've got no chance at getting it fixed.

Another reason why you should investigate thoroughly - and my blog is getting updated to reflect my records and others experiences so that people can be educated, which always makes for the best possible outcomes for the patients.

I learned very quickly when I asked one place, what am I getting for my money and they said oh don't ask that. You are the one paying thru copayments and the like, your sick leave, etc. so get the best you can for your money.

You are doing this because YOU are worth it - make the investment.

You have been through soooo much!!! I feel for you. Your story made me cry. I have esophageal spasm from the surgery in 2012 which is NOTHING compared to what you are going through. I will pray for you. You need some relief and a break.

i'm so sorry you had a leak. i had one too, started getting treatment for it three months out (it was contained so i didn't get sick) in november and i'm still hoping for a miracle with the latest and last option before they start thinking of surgeries like what rj's had. i have a clip that was put in a few weeks ago.

doesn't it seem when you get to the dealing with this around half a year it starts just becoming what you are and your life revolves around feeds, and you just feel like your life, period, is being held back. i thought by now after losing 100 lbs and everyone says i look so great i'd be happy and free. but i just show them my jtube hookup and say yeah, i'm still healing from this...

i hope you have support! you will get it here.. :)

A Jtube? Did you get TPN first or other things?

no. they never gave me that. i am actually glad, it sounded fricking scary. but i have issues with hydration, i just came home tonight from the ER, had to get a bag of Fluid cuz i was dizzy and sick which = dehydration.

Dang I had TPN for 5-6 weeks. Really stunk but unfortunately I'm headed back in that direction. Most all my labs are good but I have every sign of worsening malnutrition. I really don't want to go through that again but its temporary instead of a feeding tube. Considering my skin peels apart now, a surgical procedure would NOT be a good idea for me.

I'm surprised you got one. How did your doc manage that?