Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is wls soooo damn taboo to people?

I can understand if some people don't like the idea of wls, but why people act like we're doing something so crazy to our self..and they think people who pursue it didn't give diet and exercise 100%.was speaking to my sister today she's against surgery. .and she said she don't feel like I gave diet and exercise 100%. I told her I tried everything diet under the sun. .and nothing worked. .but she said if I gave it a good try for 6 months- 1 year. Then I would of seen results. .told her I have been trying for years. Now I'm 243lbs. How is that big enough. .should I wait til I'm 300lbs?.I'm shocked I stood my ground even though family don't support or agree with what I decided to have wls..Both my sisters are dieting working out and losing weight. 171 & 143 lbs. .and they trying to lose weight. So how the heck they think I'm not big enough. .I know they are concerned with possible complications. .can't weight to 4/15..and 6 months down the line. .just pray God protect surgeon & I during the procedure. .I'm a nervous wreck!

Hi Re, don't be nervous. All will be fine with your surgery. Humans for some reason are afraid of the unknown. We are like this with everything. People are against WLS because they are not familiar with it, have not read up on it nor have they done any research. All that will change in a few years I am sure because so many celebrities are having WLS. You are having surgery for your health right? Your health is your business and nobody else's so you don't have to have these discussions with anybody. Make your choices for a better healthier life and then go with it. A year from now when you are down 100 pounds and looking like a hot little mama.... your sisters will be dieting again and trying to lose the same 30 pounds they lost this year. Most of us can lose weight but keeping it off is a different story. The yoyo cycles we put our bodies through are killing us so its better to lose the weight and keep it off. If that can only be accomplished by WLS, then so be it. It's nice to have support of family a friends but it isn't 100 per cent necessary. If this is something you truly want .... do it and get your support from this forum. When your sisters see the changes in your life, they'll get on board with this, but if they don't...its okay...you will be healthier and you will live longer. And that is the bottom line.

Soooo well said..Thank you so much! ..that's exactly what I kept telling her..anyone can lose weight keeping it off is a whole new struggle. .she even said on of our family friend had surgery almost 2 yrs ago. .and she works out all the time. .and my sister said if someone have wls..why they have to still work out so hard? Told her because no one has wls and loses 100 lbs with any exercise. .she why would someone risk their life and she have to workout to lose weight. Told her that is why wls is not the easy way out..she feels if putting your body through that weight should just come off..I have no strength to keep arguing with rhem..my friends would be worst..didn't even tell them..judgmental queens !

It's so taboo because so many people - junk food companies/fitness gurus/drug companies - have a vested interest in keeping people fat and continually buying the next "miracle cure". They spend millions marketing their products to us and telling us it's our fault we are fat.

I'm not saying it's not my fault for being fat, but there are more factors at play that got me to 375 lbs than just my lack of self control over my eating habits.

food companies spend millions trying to find that "sweet spot" where the perfect combination of salty, sweet and fat combine to get the highest response from the test group. They are designing foods to target and increase our desire for the flavors.

I've often eaten a bag of chips, and as I ate more, I got hungrier - I was driven to eat till I was stuffed. How many times has that happened when eating an apple....NEVER! :-P

Edited by joatsaint

What a shame. My family,friends, coworker's have been such a huge support to me. Like the others said. This is all about you!! I am just short of 14 weeks post-op. I lost 65 lbs pre-op and have lost 105 lbs post. Find yourself a good network of supporters. They will help you through this wonderful journey. This website is a great place for lots of support.

It's taken me months to learn about this surgery so when I tell soneone about it and they express some doubt, I know it's because they don't know much about it so it's my chance to educate them. I've learned so much about my body's nutritional needs and how to make this surgery work for me, I just share that. I dont take any of it personally because we each have our own journey. Im doing something positive for my life and it isn't illegal, so I share and let them think what they want. How I live my life after surgery will prove the doubters wrong.

I like what Joatsaint said!!! So true. Follow your heart. I have absolutely no shame in getting this surgery (sleeve) and my date is tomorrow!!! I have told many co-workers and friends and most, not all are supportive. They had a piece on the NBC news last night about the success of WLS for people w/ type 2 diabetes. This is revolutionary stuff! I used to be very anti-surgery until I INFORMED myself about it. The people that are not supportive are usually not informed. Regular dieting does not work!!! Good luck to you on your journey!

It's just a tool, it's not a miracle.

I'm sorry they are being obstinate. This is why I only told my husband and my mother!

Honestly I think there's some jealousy from your sisters because they think you are going to be smaller than them without having to do any work.

Thanks for all the positive feedbacks. .I really thought they was going to be happy that I was going to hopefully lose the weight I have been struggling with. .and my sister made a comment that to stop using my thyroid disorder be an excuse for not losing weight. .that I have thyroid and thyroid don't have me..and I should work out harder than, someone that doesn't have hypothyroid. Also since I told her I don't want to tell any of our friends about my upcoming surgery. She doesn't agree with my decision and I should be honest with them. Since we are all dieting together and trying to lose weight. .me not telling them and all a sudden I start losing. .I will look dishonest cause I knew all along I was planning wls. Told her , I will tell them when I'm ready. .After surgery cause I can't deal with any extra negativity. .she thinks maybe I should leave our workout group cause they will give me backlash for not telling them my plans. .and she will look like a liar herself. .smh

Im my experience, the people that have been not completely positive about it are those that have seen others fail at the rny or vsg before me.

They understand that yes the suegery itself is a tool and not a cure all. We still have to make the healthy choices, do the exercise, and make those commitments for the rest of our lives.

I think a small percentage go into this with rose colored glasses..then act shocked at 6months or a year out when their hunger is just the same as before. Head hunger doesnt change. Only the tummy does.

But, most of us just need that help with the tummy. That itself gives us enough control to finally grasp health and lose the weight.

I think the head hunger gives wls a bad reputation. Think about this, at mayo clinic, in order to have wls there, you must FIRST complete 1 full year of intense psychological therapy. Then and only then will they operate on you.

Thanks for all the positive feedbacks. .I really thought they was going to be happy that I was going to hopefully lose the weight I have been struggling with. .and my sister made a comment that to stop using my thyroid disorder be an excuse for not losing weight. .that I have thyroid and thyroid don't have me..and I should work out harder than, someone that doesn't have hypothyroid. Also since I told her I don't want to tell any of our friends about my upcoming surgery. She doesn't agree with my decision and I should be honest with them. Since we are all dieting together and trying to lose weight. .me not telling them and all a sudden I start losing. .I will look dishonest cause I knew all along I was planning wls. Told her , I will tell them when I'm ready. .After surgery cause I can't deal with any extra negativity. .she thinks maybe I should leave our workout group cause they will give me backlash for not telling them my plans. .and she will look like a liar herself. .smh

Well I can sort of see her point in that. If I were you I would either tell them or leave the group. That's just me. You need to do what is right for you, not what is right for your sister or some stranger on the internet. But I will say that for me I would feel like it was unfair to them early on because at the beginning we do lose weight SO fast, and in a group setting women can be so let down if other people are losing faster.

If they don't know it could upset them and make some of them really discouraged.

Now if you were a year out and regained or wanted to lose the lady few, that's different. You are going to have to take a break at least for a while right?

Well I can sort of see her point in that. If I were you I would either tell them or leave the group. That's just me. You need to do what is right for you, not what is right for your sister or some stranger on the internet. But I will say that for me I would feel like it was unfair to them early on because at the beginning we do lose weight SO fast, and in a group setting women can be so let down if other people are losing faster.

If they don't know it could upset them and make some of them really discouraged.

Now if you were a year out and regained or wanted to lose the lady few, that's different. You are going to have to take a break at least for a while right?

It's best if I take a break. .since they will give my 2 sisters backlash..I told her I can just hang around during when we meet up as a group. But let everyone know I just want to hang around. .but I'm not doing and weight loss challenge cause my mind is not into it at the moment.