Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I drink from a straw? Six weeks post op

Can I drink from a straw yet? I'm six weeks post op and would love to sip my cold drinks from a straw. Of course no carbonation..

This is one of those things that you will get a different answer to. For me, my surgeon was fine with it. About the only thing I DON"T drink from a straw is coffee and wine.

Some will say never, ever. coffee, alcohol and carbonation are other things that is debated. There are lots of folks that are banned forever from all the above. My only no no is carbonation. I can live with that.

I'm a year out now and I can safely say my sleeve has not exploded, stretched or any other bad thing from using a straw since a couple weeks post op.

That is me, though, I will always say follow your surgeons direction. :)

Good luck to you! You are gonna love your sleeve!

I was never banned from drinking with a straw, just warned to be careful how much I drank in one swallow. It takes a while to learn how much you can safely swallow and get used to drinking smaller amounts and then make it an unconscious habit.

I am thinking that using a straw would cause no problem if you do the same as when you sip a glass of Water - sip, no gulp! Take a sip from the straw and wait a bit to see how it feels. Pay attention to your body, just as you have already learned.

bodyweight.png?ts=1395715396

I found an awesome 32 ounce insulated Bubba cup at Target over the weekend. It comes with a straw, but I took it out and use it how you would if you were drinking a hot beverage. It closes shut for travel. The best part is the insulation keeps the ice frozen for hours and hours and the cup doesn't sweat. I preferred straws but with this thing, I almost don't miss them! I think it was around $14

post-203485-0-90596700-1395722109_thumb.jpg

They told me no, but because Im not a goo listener I tried it once and it made me so bubbly and full feeling, it made me feel sick. I'm six weeks post op too and I'd advise u don't even try it

I never stopped drinking from straws. Except that post op, I was a bit more careful about swallowing from it with air (which never happened)

My surgeon says no til 8 weeks post op. I totally forgot at 5 weeks post-op and was drinking my Biggby Iced Decaf Non-fat Mocha Mocha with one when I realized I wasn't supposed to. I texted my hubby and he laughed. I ended up continuing to drink it and didn't have an issue. I was just careful. I prefer drinking with a straw.

I've been drinking my Water from a straw the last two days and no extra gas for me. I'm actually drinking more water now because of it. Yay for me!!

I found that using the straw lets me take in more Water (my biggest problem post op has been no enough water) I have yet to have an adverse reaction. Everyone is different though, and as far as harm to your sleeve, some surgeons have no issues with straws, so I doubt it will hurt you.

Best of luck!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches