Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback asked for: Burning pain in middle esophagus

Guest drowdie

Hello there, I'm day 6 post-op. When I lie flat, a strong, burning sensation comes on in the middle of my esophagus. Anyone, given anything for this? At discharge I was given Milk of Magnesia, and told to take it for an the anti-inflammatory properties. However, side effects of MOM is diarrhea which I still have. SO, anyone out there that experienced this same symptom, and what did you take for it? I don't have an MD back here in the States, following me.

Get an OTC acid reducer like omeprazole (Prilosec) and start taking daily. Also don't eat or drink for at least an hour before laying down and for SURE don't take any Vitamins, drugs and the. Lay down. Sounds like you are having reflux. If continues, you need to see a Dr. Soon!

Guest drowdie

Get an OTC acid reducer like omeprazole (Prilosec) and start taking daily. Also don't eat or drink for at least an hour before laying down and for SURE don't take any Vitamins, drugs and the. Lay down. Sounds like you are having reflux. If continues, you need to see a Dr. Soon!

Oh, I think I may have caused this situation. They sent me home from Mexico with large tablets of Cipro with instructions to start taking immediately (I cut in half, but still they hurt and they consistently got stuck going down). Mexico not only sent me home taking those horse pills, but they instructed me to start taking my regular medications (nothing serious, just a low dose anti depressant).

Am I truly the only one that this has happened to? Surely, everyone was given the same Cipro tabs on discharge.

Oh Lordy, I REMEMBER the night my meds (at that time) got stuck and burned for HOURS til I finally gagged it up somewhat.

Definitely sounds like reflux. I agree in the OTC Prilosec. I was discharged with a script for Prevacid for prevention. I would definitely call your doc and tell them you're having reflux and diarrhea. I'd only take milk of Mag if you are constipated. It's a potent laxative. You could be dehydrated from all that diarrhea.

Guest drowdie

Definitely sounds like reflux. I agree in the OTC Prilosec. I was discharged with a script for Prevacid for prevention. I would definitely call your doc and tell them you're having reflux and diarrhea. I'd only take milk of Mag if you are constipated. It's a potent laxative. You could be dehydrated from all that diarrhea.

I thank you for your response. I don't post lightly, and when I do, I am sincerely in need of feedback.

Both of your responses have mentioned go to your MD if you're not feeling better. Naturally, I do have a PCP, who is an internal medicine doctor, who agreed to continue to see me after my " elective, non-standardized" medical surgery outside the USA. My hesitancy to see him now, during these first two weeks post-op has to do with his Diagnostic Coding for reimbursement. My daughter has me frightened by telling after my surgery, that any health concerns that I may have that are related to this surgery, would be flagged by my insurance provider. So, I continue to critically rely on the feedback and information of those who are further ahead in recovery on this forum.

I hope in the future, more folks would step up and provide a response as the two of you did. Any relevant similar experience is helpful, and it's reassuring.

I'm a nurse but I know very little about insurance reimbursement. It would seem unethical for your PCP to refuse treatment regardless of where you had it done. If the OTC med doesn't work, please, please do not delay seeking treatment. This could advance to ulcers which are much more serious than reflux. Why don't you post another thread asking others what their experience has been when they had to follow up with PCP after having surg in MX? There are sonny who go to MX, I'd think there would be someone who knows about ins. Hang in there!