Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever feel disappointed that you can't eat much?

I know. Weird question. After decades of being able to out-eat my husband (9" taller and does manual labor for a living), I should count my lucky stars that I can't eat much nowadays. And I've been at the WLS game for 6-1/2 years now, so you'd think I'd be used it by now. In the final 18 months or so of my happy coexistence with my band, I realized that I just didn't care about food all that much. It was wonderful to be freed from slavery to my appetite.

Since losing my band, and after living with my sleeve for 1-1/2 years, I now find myself very often feeling disappointed that I can't eat much at a meal. I love to cook, and the food looks and smells and tastes wonderful. I take a few bites of Protein, then veg, then maybe a starch, and I literally cannot eat another bite. But oh boy, do I want to eat another bite. Or 10. Or 100.

Does anybody else deal with this kind of thing?

thanks,

Jean

Oddly enough, I only feel disappointed that I can't eat very much when I see other people overindulging in food and having a good time! For example, if I'm out to eat with friends and everyone is enjoying all the good food, I'll eat my small portion, watch them continue to eat, and then I'll get bummed that I can't join them. It's such a weird feeling! Especially because I know that my association with food equaling a good time is so horribly wrong. I just try to focus on spending time with everyone and enjoying their company instead of the food!

Sometimes, definitely! When we go out to eat and there's this table FULL of awesome looking food and I know good and well I can only eat a fraction of it. There's ALWAYS going to be the 300+ pound girl inside of me that just wants to EAT EAT EAT! Just gotta try to keep her beat down as far as I can most of the time!

It happened just this morning at a Breakfast with co workers. I could only eat a tiny bit as I dont do well with tradional breakfast foods, ( hash browns, bacon, egg and toast),

and I split the plate with a co worker and still could nt eat hardly anything . One lady asked if it was from the band and I said yes, but I also had to remind myself that there would always be food in my world and that it was ok to NOT clean my plate ! I pushed the plate away, and was happy I did !

YES, sometimes I do. And at those times I feel thoroughly frustrated! I don't feel that way all the time, but when I do, I actually think about getting rid of the band so I can EAT. Then, in the next thought, I'm SO grateful that I have this device keeping from going back down the road to my own demise. This food addiction is insidious, and I know that I'll never truly be free of it. But I'm so much better, and limited in the damage I can do on "one of those days".

Edited by mrsto

I only get that feeling when I see a commercial and someone is advertising a great big juicy burger. I know if I went and order one I would be done in with one bite of bread, burger and bacon and whatever else is on it. so it would be a waste and probably very depressing. so just stay away from it. but they surelook good.

Sometimes, definitely! When we go out to eat and there's this table FULL of awesome looking food and I know good and well I can only eat a fraction of it. There's ALWAYS going to be the 300+ pound girl inside of me that just wants to EAT EAT EAT! Just gotta try to keep her beat down as far as I can most of the time!

My mom (who also struggled with her weight) was short and blonde (like me). She used to say that inside her was a tall, thin brunette waiting to get out. I have a short, fat blonde girl inside me, waiting to get out.

As you know Jean I tend to over analyze everything. My issue is the opposite of yours. I walk away from a meal constantly asking myself if I had too much. Not that I am excessively full or anything just I am constantly thinking about my portions and think "should I've been able eat that much?, Did I miss the satiety signal" I have been one of those lucky ones who got banded and lost interest with food. Head hunger is a memory that I don't have to work to hard at suppressing with will power.

I have not had a fill since Jan 29, 2013 and I have a 6 month follow up coming on April 4 so I am constantly analyzing and trying to decide whether or not I need a fill.

As you know Jean I tend to over analyze everything. My issue is the opposite of yours. I walk away from a meal constantly asking myself if I had too much. Not that I am excessively full or anything just I am constantly thinking about my portions and think "should I've been able eat that much?, Did I miss the satiety signal" I have been one of those lucky ones who got banded and lost interest with food. Head hunger is a memory that I don't have to work to hard at suppressing with will power. I have not had a fill since Jan 29, 2013 and I have a 6 month follow up coming on April 4 so I am constantly analyzing and trying to decide whether or not I need a fill.

Wow, other than the head hunger part, I could have written this. Still losing, close to goal, but I feel sometimes I'm able to eat too much. I have my appt 1 Apr and I question do I need a fill.

I eat pretty good 99 percent of the time. Since I've had wls I really don't feel satisfied with my food. It's not that I'm not getting enough, it's just it's not enjoyable to me anymore. Sounds crazy.

Edited by jamilyne 102668

I went to our annual Rockies baseball ticket dispersal meeting yesterday. We went to a New York Style restaurant and I ordered a sampler of ravioli, lasagna and stuffed shells. I only ate about 1/3 of it but the other guys around me were stuffing their faces with so much food it made me wonder as you have?

Each one of the other 3 guys would shove a large bite of something in their mouth and before they even chewed twice had another huge bite shoved in over the top of the last one. My old paternal instincts took over and I kept saying, "slow down and enjoy this wonderful food"(on the inside of course). My "on the inside voice" seems to be speaking a lot lately. Fortunately, it's on the inside so I'm no pissing too many people off.

I spent most of my meal in the nearly almost stuck stage of my meal.

I went to our annual Rockies baseball ticket dispersal meeting yesterday. We went to a New York Style restaurant and I ordered a sampler of ravioli, lasagna and stuffed shells. I only ate about 1/3 of it but the other guys around me were stuffing their faces with so much food it made me wonder as you have?

Each one of the other 3 guys would shove a large bite of something in their mouth and before they even chewed twice had another huge bite shoved in over the top of the last one. My old paternal instincts took over and I kept saying, "slow down and enjoy this wonderful food"(on the inside of course). My "on the inside voice" seems to be speaking a lot lately. Fortunately, it's on the inside so I'm no pissing too many people off.

tmf - my husband eats like that, and sometimes it disgusts me. I look at that way of eating and think "now, that can't be healthy". I don't say anything, because I have to remind myself that I'M the one who had surgery, not him.......or others who eat like that. But it is eye opening, isn't it?

Edited by mrsto

I know. Weird question. After decades of being able to out-eat my husband (9" taller and does manual labor for a living), I should count my lucky stars that I can't eat much nowadays. And I've been at the WLS game for 6-1/2 years now, so you'd think I'd be used it by now. In the final 18 months or so of my happy coexistence with my band, I realized that I just didn't care about food all that much. It was wonderful to be freed from slavery to my appetite.

Since losing my band, and after living with my sleeve for 1-1/2 years, I now find myself very often feeling disappointed that I can't eat much at a meal. I love to cook, and the food looks and smells and tastes wonderful. I take a few bites of Protein, then veg, then maybe a starch, and I literally cannot eat another bite. But oh boy, do I want to eat another bite. Or 10. Or 100.

Does anybody else deal with this kind of thing?

thanks,

Jean

no but there are times my mind thinks it can eat more then i know i need to or (can thanks to the WLS i have).....i am grateful i can only eat so much for it i was able to, i would surely be over 400 by now......me wearing 12/14's is better than anything could ever taste.......

I eat pretty good 99 percent of the time. Since I've had wls I really don't feel satisfied with my food. It's not that not getting enough, it's just it's not enjoyable to me anymore. Sounds crazy.

Doesn't sound crazy to me. My band somehow erased or at least greatly reduced my enjoyment of food. That was a really weird experience at the beginning!

tmf - my husband eats like that, and sometimes it disgusts me. I look at that way of eating and think "now, that can't be healthy". I don't say anything, because I have to remind myself that I'M the one who had surgery, not him.......or others that eat like that. But it is eye opening, isn't it?

Eye opening indeed!

Years ago, a Chinese friend told me a story about taking another American out for dinner (in China, where I used to travel a lot). She was aghast at the amount of food he shoveled in, complete disregarding Chinese meal etiquette (you take a few bites from the communal bowl and send it on to the person beside you; you don't take any more food until the neighbor on your other side sends another bowl of food your way). If it weren't for my friend cluing me into meal etiquette, I could very well have been another American gobbling food and hardly even tasting it.

At work the other day, I felt my eyes wanting to pop out of my head when I watched a coworker eat a sandwich in about 3 big bites. Whew! I'm glad those big bite days are behind me.