Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally gonna get a lapband or sleeve

Thank you for your insights, you both have good points. I am thinking about getting the sleeve, but they also told me they do something where they fold your stomach into itself when they do the band, anybody heard of this?

Just to add... I took one week off for surgery. I had my sleeve surgery on a Monday and I was back at work the following Monday. Nobody knew I had surgery, it was business as usual. I think the by-pass a lengthier recovery and I am not sure about the band.

Well I'm afraid of the sleeve because there are a lot more complications with that and I like that the band is reversible. My BMI is 41 and I am 38. I'm hoping the band will help me get off about 50 or more pounds and still allow me to eat, but force me to eat slow and not overeat! My dad died at age 65 and weighed about 500lbs and I watched him lose over 100lbs probably 3 times and eventually gain it all back and more. His death has been my motivation to not try yo yo dieting, but search for a different type of solution.

I was the same as you. My mom was obese and so was I. I got the lapband in 2008 and it was great for the first two years and then I had a lot of serious issues from the band. I ended up with intestibal metaplasia which is a precursor to stomach cancer. I was diagnosed with that in january 2013 and made my decision to have the band removed and revised to rny thst same month. My revision was june 2013 and I am now 145 and 15 lbs from my goal. Unfortunately my mom just died on wednesday from complications from a lifetime of obesity and I vowed back in 2008 I would d I whatever it took to not go through the humilistion sadness and embarrassment of obesity any longer. Even at the end when we decided to bring my mom home with hospice it was a battle because of bed sizes. ny mother was 6 foot tall and weigh 330 lbs but because of chf she haf 60 lbs of Fluid on by the time she died. People are cruel and not understanding of large people and our healthcare system is broken beyond belief. Sorry to prattle on but I want you to weigh all of your options. The band is a phenomenal tool but dont go into it just because it can be 'reversed'. There are repercussions to anything we do to a body. So make sure you understand the maintenance and signs of issues. I loved my band but now that it is gone I realize how thankful I am that they caught the intestinal metaplasia early and I listened to my body to tell my dr something was wrong. And yes, fills are expensive. Expect several a year barring issues. PM me if I can provide further insight

Well I'm afraid of the sleeve because there are a lot more complications with that and I like that the band is reversible. My BMI is 41 and I am 38. I'm hoping the band will help me get off about 50 or more pounds and still allow me to eat, but force me to eat slow and not overeat! My dad died at age 65 and weighed about 500lbs and I watched him lose over 100lbs probably 3 times and eventually gain it all back and more. His death has been my motivation to not try yo yo dieting, but search for a different type of solution.

I had the rny. Best decision ever!! My surgeon only does rny or band. My orthopedic surgeon said no to the band because of my history of mersa and I am facing a knee replacement down the road. Regardless of the surgery you have to follow the diet and exercise plan they give you. I don't know anyone who didn't experience ups and downs prior to surgery. There were ups and downs post surgery also. I'd I had it to do again...The only thing I would change would be waiting so long to have it done. I am just shy of 2 years post surgery. 4 yrs. From my top weight...at my son's wedding. I am down 135 from that day. I have lost a whole woman! My quality of life has improved immeasurably. I can slide down slides with my grandson. I can dance for hours. I am comfortable on the back of a motorcycle! For the first time ever I know I am a sexy vibrant woman. You will always be able to find people who have struggled post surgery...my experience with them is that it is their inability to follow direction. Stick with those that are having success. That's what I am doing.

Thank you for your insights, you both have good points. I am thinking about getting the sleeve, but they also told me they do something where they fold your stomach into itself when they do the band, anybody heard of this?

This is band with plication. I had it and they work very well together

I had the sleeve. Was going to lapband to start but I had my come to Jesus monument . I was going to gain it back so I needed something more permanent. I have met my goal weight 320 down to 175 in 9 months. Off all meds type 2 only synthroid left. I am down to what I was went I had my first kid and he is now 21! My life is back because my health is back. Think hard about it but we support u no matter what!

I had gastric bypass and they repaired my hiatal hernia at the same time. Easy peasy. Mine was all covered by my provincial health care plan. It did require jumping through all the required hoops first though.

Band here. For me, I was scared of the drastic internal changes of the sleeve and my surgeon didn't do bypass. I liked that there wasn't anything drastically done to my internals and that it should be reversible if things didn't work out (granted there are bad complications with the band as well as any surgery). Do your research and figure out what lifestyle you want and complications you can handle. I am 33, BMI was at 36 with co-morbidalities and really needed something to help me lose weight for fertility reasons. I hope to get pregnant with the band and that seemed to be one of the better options.

This is almost an impossible pros/cons list strictly speaking. You'll probably have to end up going with a gut feel.

Both the sleeve and band can be successful and have complications... just different ones. It's a really hard decision and it's different for different people.

Personally, I don't consider the band to be "reversible". It is a permanent change to your body. Even if you have it taken out your body will still be changed by multiple surgeries.

If you do ever need to have it removed you are not truly "reversed" back to how you were without the band. Your body and life will be completely changed, either by

- band erosion or slip: very serious, sometimes life-threatening, damage to your stomach (not exactly "reversible")

- having difficulty with vomiting or no weight loss or mechanical failure of the band: but you'll still have the damage to your abdomen wall from repeated surgeries to put the band in a and one or more further surgeries to take it out (so leaving your body altered and so is not truly reversible in my opinion)

My opinion is coloured by my personal experience. I had a band for 10 years, it worked, I got to healthy BMI and maintained it, I loved my band :) Then the band failed mechanically and I have had several surgeries to fix the problem and finally remove it. Since band removal I've regained weight and seriously obese again :( and struggling mentally without a band... I miss it! I cannot begin to explain how frustrating it feels. Also, personally it doesn't feel as if the bad is reversible, I've had lots of surgeries and anaesthetics and scars and damaged abdomen wall. There is damage, but I have to keep moving forward.

So after much thought and serious consideration I have decided to have yet another surgery. I'm going through all the preop assessments and hoping to have my date for gastric sleeve confirmed in May.

Edited by Band2Sleever