Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when to stop?

I am on soft foods right now, ready to start trying regular foods very soon. I am concerned about how much I should be eating. It seems like I have more room now than I did 2 weeks ago. Is this normal? For example, I ate 1/2 sandwich with Peanut Butter for lunch today, and then finished the other half for a snack around 4:00 this afternoon. Is that too much? I don't feel uncomfortable, I'm just worried that it is too much food. I am terrified that I will stretch my sleeve out! Advice anyone????? :( :( :(

Measure your food and stop eating ;) Follow you nutritionist's recommendations and don't push it is my advice.

I don't know. I am almost four months out and haven't eaten bread yet. My son had some pizza and I had a few bites, but that was it as far as bread goes. I am eating eggs, tuna, veggies, meat, and maybe a tablespoon of rice or a couple of noodles.

My guidelines for soft foods were 3 oz. per meal max, so I would always weigh my food to make sure I was eating less than that.

I guess you must be allowed to eat bread? My dietician would horsewhip me for that -- I always have to do Protein first and was not allowed bread or any grains on soft foods at all. A lot of people find those kinds of refined carbs are slider foods and won't engage the restriction of their sleeve.

My surgeon makes a pretty tight sleeve, so I have a lot of restriction. I'm almost 3 months out and I wouldn't be able to eat 1/2 sandwich even now. In my soft food phase I could maybe handle 2 tablespoons of something. And speaking of sandwiches, I was told to avoid breads, Pasta and other carbs. Protein first, then veggies, then maybe carbs if you have any room. The protein fills me quickly and I might be able to handle 1-2 bites of veggies. Haven't had any bread yet, but I did end up with a couple noodles when I had a cup of Thai Soup (after eating most of the broth, a few bites of veggies and a couple shrimp).

I wasn't allowed bread for 6 months and I still am unable to eat it without feeling like crap. If/when I try, it must be toasted and I can only have a bite or two and I am stuffed. My first bit of advice would be to concentrate on soft Protein, not carbs. You will feel full longer!

I love French Onion Soup, so I bought a cup from Jason's Deli. I took the bread and cheese out of it, added a scoop of unflavored Syntrax and puréed it. The first couple sips were ok, actually better than ok. But it just isn't the same without that bread and cheese. I ate maybe 1/8 of a cup. Bread. How I will miss it. Sigh.

I measured at first..but very quickly out I would hiccup or my nose would run. At 5 months out i still get one of these 2 signs.

I am allowed to have light bread but I have been extremely careful about not having it very often. I am just worried that I will eat more than I should. But maybe my sleeve will prevent that. I just eat a few bites and then stop.