Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico bound

Leave at 630 am tomorrow for Mexico. Problem I have is that no one in charleston that I can find will support me when I return. It seems they are biased against Mexican surgeons and/or the type of band they use down there. Does anyone know of any doctor in charleston that will help me with fills when I return?

Sorry I don't know anything about Charleston or the Mexican bands, but I just want to say best wishes for your trip tomorrow and your newly-banded life. Obviously the after-care component is really important so I hope you are able to find just the right medical professionals to work with stateside. Do you know whether they "prime" the band? Some surgeons put Fluid in the band at the time of placement. Also plication with lapband seems to be a trend and many plication patients do not have fills at all. I have no idea whether these are good options, but just putting more out there for fodder.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

I know the band is primed and I am expected to have fills on a regular basis. There Is a place that will support me, but they require a 300 dollar fee upfront and mandatory presence of their surgery seminar. Then they want to charge 480 bucks per fill. Seems awfully high for some saline added to a tube with a needle.

Johnny1313 Congrats!!

I'm not sure why the U.S. Doctors are so indignent about treating patients from Mexico ( God Complex)? I've heard mostly becasue they don't want to be responsible for another Dr's mistakes. But interesting that If that same Dr. ignores his patinet that needs the band remove another US Dr. usually has to do it becasue that first Dr. doesn't listen.

Equally amazing is that HALF of the US surgeons were proctored to do the Band from a Mecixan surgeon. *SIGH*

Double standard?

YIKES and yes that is HIGH for a fill, but normal for the upfront fee. as they didn't do the band they want to recoop that loss from you seeing as they didn't place your band.

Advise: FInd a GOOD aftercare program it's what you'll NEED MOST!!

Johnny1313 Congrats!!

I'm not sure why the U.S. Doctors are so indignent about treating patients from Mexico ( God Complex)? I've heard mostly becasue they don't want to be responsible for another Dr's mistakes. But interesting that If that same Dr. ignores his patinet that needs the band remove another US Dr. usually has to do it becasue that first Dr. doesn't listen.

Equally amazing is that HALF of the US surgeons were proctored to do the Band from a Mecixan surgeon. *SIGH*

Double standard?

YIKES and yes that is HIGH for a fill, but normal for the upfront fee. as they didn't do the band they want to recoop that loss from you seeing as they didn't place your band.

Advise: FInd a GOOD aftercare program it's what you'll NEED MOST!!

"Equally amazing is that HALF of the US surgeons were proctored to do the Band from a Mecixan surgeon" Where did you hear/see this? I find it hard to believe?

Overall, I believe most Mexican surgeons are competent and reliable. But it's easy to just take names/numbers and pump out patient after patient when they have no obligation to follow-up with same patients.

To the OP: You may have to go outside Charleston to find a surgeon or fill clinic. The fees they're charging are obviously high and should be in the range of $250 or less. If you have to pay $250 or more, you should be getting fills under fluoroscopy so that the clinic isn't dragging out the process to make a (big)buck.

Good luck.

Go, Johnny (sorry, cannot resist -- not like you haven't heard that one a million times!)......anyway, nice you know your band will be primed so you won't have to make that trip to many times. Hope all goes swimmingly and I have to say I wish I was in Mexico right now. First day of spring in NH and we have more frozen gluck on the ground to Celebrate. Best wishes for a good trip home and a speedy recovery! I have had my band a little over four months and I am thrilled. It's not just the weight loss, it's the feeling of peace around food.