Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you consider/Have you done your own fill/unfill?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you consider/Have you done your own fill/unfill?

• Yes, I have done my own fill/unfill before
    • I've been to fill parties where a non-medical professional has done my fill/unfill
    • In a pinch I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had all the right supplies
    • Sure, I'd do it just to save money
    • No, I would never consider such a task
    • I don't know
    • What's a fill?
    • Other/Plz explain

I agree that your local hospital likely could do it--whether they would is the question, and often the problem.

While it is nice to be able to see the barium go through on a fill with fluoro, and most if not all Dr.'s require you to drink Water in the office following a fill--neither of those guarantees you that you will not react to the fill later, and be too tight or swell following a PB to the point of being unable to so much as swallow saliva.

When it happen to my SIL, she was fine with the Water in the office but withing about 8 hours she knew she was too tight. Just after we got home----our fill Dr. is over 6 hours away!

IMHO the best thing to do is be proactive, as opposed to reactive. Plan for those possibilities now! Speak with your local PCP, have them refer you to someone who is used to accessing ports. In my case it is my former oncologist--I set it up with him prior to being banded! I did my level best to cover all my bases, since I am rural, and not close to where my banding Dr, is.

There are any number of things that cause us to swell, and it is not all related to the fill, so I would suggest mapping out a strategy now, and not waiting until you are sick and miserable! Better to be prepared and not need it, than need it and find out they refuse to assume the liability of accessing your port! Many do refuse!

You are almost halfway Purplegirl--way to go!

Kat

I finally finished reading through all of these posts. Although I would NEVER encourage ANYONE to fill themselves or others, I sincerely don't see anything wrong with someone who has training to perform emergency unfills on themselves. I'm a RN who has experience accessing ports. I haven't done it in a while, but with the proper equipment and in an absolute emergency with no other resources/access to help, I would.

With that being said, we'd have to really investigate what constitutes an "emergency" worthy of an unfill. Being a little too tight and getting something temporarily stuck or not being able to eat a certain food, is NOT an emergency. If you're going out for the evening and want to be worry free in the resteraunt.....that's not an emergency. Being unable to keep fluids down possibly including your own saliva for an extended period of time (24 hours or more) IS an emergency. You put yourself at risk for dehydration, erosion and possibly band slippage in a situation like that.

I've been in a situation where I was too tight for an extended period of time. I could swallow the doctor's fluids in the office just fine, but months later........WHAMO! I was too tight. I had trouble with most solids, had pain nearly every day and sometimes even tasted blood. I can't tell you how many times I considered unfilling myself if I'd had the equipment. But I didn't and I had to wait to see my doctor. I wasn't at risk for dehydration or malnutrition. I was uncomfortable and the whole situation was inconvenient because I had to be even more conscious about what I ate (softer foods) and chew VERY, VERY well. But I didn't consider that an emergency and even changed doctors while I waited this problem out.

I am really frikin shocked that there are such things as Fill Parties! The thought of an untrained person sticking a needle in me is just a nightmare....Maybe they also participate in Lobotomy parties as well!!!!!

That's why I had surgery close to home - if I ever have a problem with being too full I can get to my doctor in 15 minutes-24/7. I don't know what doctor would touch you if you ever goofed up and damaged something (warranty wise)...I'd think long and hard before doing something like that on myself. If you are going out of the country on vacation that would probably not be the day to have a fill!

well, i've heard of botox parties but fill parties?!?? good Lord, what next? heart transplant parties?! lol....

i think thats ridiculously crazy and anyone who was willing to go through getting the lapband for the right reasons, being health and not just vanity alone, probably would never consider going to one of those parties.

just my opinion. i for sure wouldn't. i value my health more then that!

xoxo, christie

well, i've heard of botox parties but fill parties?!?? good Lord, what next? heart transplant parties?! lol....

i think thats ridiculously crazy and anyone who was willing to go through getting the lapband for the right reasons, being health and not just vanity alone, probably would never consider going to one of those parties.

just my opinion. i for sure wouldn't. i value my health more then that!

xoxo, christie

I agree with you a great deal. You know what I worry about? With the economy as it is right now and people losing jobs and insurance I fear people will not be able to afford fills and unfills and they will start doing this sort of thing. Then when they infect themselves how will they afford to have the band removed? :((

I voted "other". I guess I would try to figure it out if I was frantic and choking (I have access to stuff I work in the medical field). and had no other way, but I really hope I'm never in that situation. I would be really scared to do it myself. I would never attend a fill party. YIKES!!!

If you reach that point where you feel you just HAVE to get an unfill right away on an emergency basis, I really don't see the point, as if you are that ill, you will not find instant relief, especially if you have been sick and overfilled for days. This does not make sense to me.

The times I have needed an "unfill" were instances where it took a while to actually get to that point and instant relief did not happen.

As far as not having the money to pay, I still would not tamper with my band.

:thumbup:

If you reach that point where you feel you just HAVE to get an unfill right away on an emergency basis, I really don't see the point, as if you are that ill, you will not find instant relief, especially if you have been sick and overfilled for days. This does not make sense to me.

The times I have needed an "unfill" were instances where it took a while to actually get to that point and instant relief did not happen.

As far as not having the money to pay, I still would not tamper with my band.

:thumbup:

The more you vomit the more swelling that happens. When you swell to the point that you can't get saliva down you begin vomiting every 20 minutes due to obstruction and then you start vomiting blood. An immediate unfill is critical and it results in instant relief. If it does not resolve with a complete unfill surgery may well be necessary.

Yes, I agree with you there bubblebut, as I have been there, but I let it happen to myself and should have called the doctor's office days before. That was my fault really.

The nurse told me I would STILL have swelling even after the un-fill. That is the point I am making. You dont get better after an unfill in 60 seconds. Things don't get better right away especially if you are dehydrated and ill.

If you are that bad off you need to go to the Emergency Room and get hydrated. This is a serious situation not be be tampered with on our own.

Edited by maryrose

what a fascinating thread! I wouldn't even attempt anything with my band/port, but I'm glad someone mentioned finding a chemo nurse at the ER... that was a great suggestion! :thumbup:)

I would never. I'd be too afraid of puncturing something lol.

But I also have no medical background whatsoever. Kudos to these ladies who know what the hell they're doing. :thumbup:

I know I am new to the board but I just wanted to share that I am also an RN and I would NEVER fill or unfill my band. Yes, I can access anything in the hospital setting and yes I have worked level I trauma centers for the past 6 years but I learned a valuable lesson from one of the Dr.'s that works at this hospital.

He had a lapband and was filling/unfilling his band. Well, he missed and ended up perforating his intestines and fighting for his life on a ventilator in the ICU for several weeks. He still is in the ICU now. I would highly recommend people to not take this on by yourself. It could cost you your life.

If I had any other options--which here at home I always would, I would never do it myself. I think it would piss off my surgeon. But say for example I got stuck at the coference I'm going to in November..in St. Kitts, where goats rome around the only open air hospital--and I could not get unstuck, I would do it to myself. I am a doctor after all--if I'm qualified to stick needles in every other member of the animal kingdom, I figure I'm qualfied to do it to myself. I've even cauterized off my own wart before.