Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IT WORKS! SLOW LOSERS REJOICE!

Oh my! I have been eating ranch with carrots! Salsa and hummus sound like great ideas! Any other tips?? What else do you eat? Has anyone are popcorn?

Oh my! I have been eating ranch with carrots! Salsa and hummus sound like great ideas! Any other tips?? What else do you eat? Has anyone are popcorn?

I haven't had popcorn. But if you eat it without butter I'd say it's probably a healthy alternative. I would imagine if your tummy can tolerate it you should be okay. A friend of mine had a Weight Watchers recipe where she put cinnamon on the popcorn. Holy cow was that good! I had it pre surgery but am thinking that might be a good snack.

Another snack that I like a lot is beef jerkey. Packed with Protein and lower in calories. You have to be careful with it and not eat too much. Plus it's high in sodium so if you have any heart issues that could be concerning. But it's my go-to snack if I want something immediate. I also love greek yogurt (has to be plain with some stevia). The already flavored greek yogurt is super high in sugar so my NUT recommended plain. I add some frozen fruit and mix in the sweetener and I'm good to go with that.

Bottom line, find what you like and read the label. If it doesn't fit with your nutritional goals, find something similar that does. Think before you eat. And, stop mindless eating. Your nutritionist should be able to help you walk through some good food options. if you don't have a nutritionist, get one. You need one. ;)

Maybe that's my problem. People can really tell I'm losing, however the scale is barely moving. I use my fitness pal and my calories average 550-750 calories a day. I do get plenty of Protein. I will try upping my calories a few days and see how it goes! Thank you for sharing!! : )

My NUT said per studies with the AMBS (American society of Bariatric Surgeons) successful bariatric patients consume about 1000 calories at approximately 1 year post-op. After 1 year post-op average calorie intake is around 1200 calories to maintain weight loss. Calories needs may vary some based on the age, sex and amount of activity for each individual. If your calories are too low, your m etabolism will slow and your body will go into starvation mode holding onto fat stores. A calorie intake of 500-600/day is simply too low for successful weight loss.

WOW!

I averaged between 450 - 650 calories per day and I never had a problem with a slow and steady weight loss. I reached my doctor's goal in five months. I reached my goal (5 lbs less) at six months. Between month 5 and 6 my calories did increase to 650 - 800, never over 800. I've been at or below goal since Dec 2010.

I never did buy the "up your calories to lose more weight" - I thought it was hogwash. Upping my calories did nothing but increase my weight prior to surgery, there is nothing to make me believe it would be different post-op. I maintain at 1200, if I increase my calories to 1300 for a couple of days, the scale goes up. The PhD that does the psych evals for a bariatric team here in Dallas, as well as he heads up the monthly support groups, agrees. He said there is no scientific data to support the starvation mode theory unless we are being held in a POW camp.

In my case, staying away from breads, fried foods, sweets, Pasta and rice.....things like that is what kept the scale moving for me until I hit goal. I know everyone is different, and we have to find what works for us.

Celebrate every pound gone!!!

I never did buy the "up your calories to lose more weight" - I thought it was hogwash. Upping my calories did nothing but increase my weight prior to surgery, there is nothing to make me believe it would be different post-op. I maintain at 1200, if I increase my calories to 1300 for a couple of days, the scale goes up. The PhD that does the psych evals for a bariatric team here in Dallas, as well as he heads up the monthly support groups, agrees. He said there is no scientific data to support the starvation mode theory unless we are being held in a POW camp.

I averaged between 450 - 650 calories per day and I never had a problem with a slow and steady weight loss. I reached my doctor's goal in five months. I reached my goal (5 lbs less) at six months. Between month 5 and 6 my calories did increase to 650 - 800, never over 800. I've been at or below goal since Dec 2010.

In my case, staying away from breads, fried foods, sweets, Pasta and rice.....things like that is what kept the scale moving for me until I hit goal. I know everyone is different, and we have to find what works for us.

Celebrate every pound gone!!!

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm glad that 450-650 calories worked for you. It didn't for me. That's why I wanted to share what my nutritionist said and what worked for me in a matter of a week. I was so overjoyed that I felt I just needed to share.

Like you said, everyone has a journey they need to follow. For me, this was my big "Ah Ha!" moment. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone. My hope is that by sharing what worked for me might help someone else who was in the same rut that I was in.

Bottom line, this forum is to share all viewpoints and let others know what's working, what isn't and share your frustrations as well as your successes. We are all working TOGETHER towards the same goal - to be HEALTHY!

Good luck to everyone on your journey. Please continue to share, ask questions, post pictures, etc. This is an amazing community of people!