Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Friday I will be stepping on the scales. It is my one year bandday. I just can't believe it has been one year. About a week and half ago I was at the Docs for a fill and we were discussing my weight loss. I was all down because I wanted to have lost much more, feeling like I have not done much. He was real quick to correct me and said I had done very well. This is a life change, and the lap-band is the crockpot while by-pass is the mirowave. It is going to take more time. It will not all be completed the first year. He told me that studies show that the amount of weith loss with the band will be close to the amount with by-pass in a three year period. I am lucky, my doc has the band himself, so he understands the feelings I am going through.

Laura,

That is really cool that you doctor has gone through this! How long has he been banded? Can you believe it is so close to our bandaversary's! Mine will be May 7th. I mananged to stick to liquids at lunch. I had chicken broth and sugar free Jello. I was doing fine until they just delivered a huge amount of BBQ and all the fixings for the entire Emergency room staff. I am staying out of that room. I think I will make myself another shake just to fill me up. I learned something when I was researching stretched out pouches. It said to stay away from "slider food" I.E food that slides down easy, because it will not set in the pouch and give you the feeling of fullness. It just slips right through to the lower stomach. Well, that is entirly how I have been living since I got the band. I have to stop that. When I am off the 5 day shrink the pouch back diet. I am going to stop doing that as a rule. It will be hard, but I have to stop. I will look for that article and try and copy and paste it. It was very interesting.

Blessings, Weazer

Oh my, sorry to be so chatty, but i just took a couple of minutes to search around on the 5 day pouch test site (the first link I sent you) If you click on all the tabs, it gives you really wonderful information. Be sure and check it out thouroughly (sp)! I can't wait to get some time to really read it!

Weazer

Thanks for the links, Mini. I think we all wonder at times if we have stretched our pouches. Going to look at them now. :-)

Weazer...

I don't think I've stretched my pouch, but that sounds like a good "cleans" to get rid of those carb cravings. Those carbs just seem to creap back in, and beofre I know it I'm craving sweets again. If I just stay away from the carbs I don't crave them so much...maybe someday I'll learn to do it the easy way and just leave that cars alone!!!

Sue

Hey Leg and Sue,

I think it will be great for us even if our pouches arn't streched out. Like Sue said, the cleans and weaning ourselves off carbs will be a good thing. I really enjoyed the site. I had no problem with the liquid diet yesterday. I did have to go out with my new son n law for his birthday and they had no clear Soup, so I had shrimp. I figured the Protein would be best. But, I could have easily had chicken broth and been totally satisfied. Today, stricktly the liquids. I am really enjoying this 5 day pouch test. I think it is kicking me back to where I need to be.

Blessings all, Weazer

hey guys,

I,m not doing so good I've been really down, but I see that you've had 6 fills and your up to 3.25cc I've had 9 fills and I'm only @3.2cc no wonder it's been so hard to loose. I am one of the first 3 lap bands done by this dr. and I think hes been afraid to put much in at a time. May 18th will be 1 year and I've only lost about 40 lbs. but I'm not giveing up!

Edited by shell850

I think I'm going to go back on the liquids for 14 days or so, try to kickstart the weight loss again.

I've been on liquids since Friday morning... I've had my share of Soup, Jello, milk and cream of wheat.. today I had about a 1/3 cup of FF refried Beans for lunch... ate VEEERRYY slow... and went back to liquids tonight. I'm not sure if I can say that I felt a difference... but I certainly was not hungry in between meals.... hopefully I'm onto something here!!!

.... And I've come to the conclusion that my stomach... looking all deflated with all that loose skin.... looks like an angry old man. I think I'll name him..... any suggestions?? HAHA!!

Shell,

Sorry that you have been down. Please come back here more often! Well, 40lbs in a year is nothing to sneeze at. I have only lost fifty. I think allot of us have lost about the same. You know this band won't do the work by itself. We have to take the bull by the horns and work with it. Some of us are doing the liquids to get us back on the right track. It is really helping me. This is my third day. I am going to keep doing it till at least Saturday. I think it will be harder on the weekend. I may do this for a few weeks except on weekends..then on weekends stick to to high Protein and low carb diet that I should have been doing all along. I am determined now to work with the band..not against it! We can do this!

Weazer

Melissa,

Hmmm, what could we name him..or is it a her? How bout Shar Pei..or just Shar for short!

Blessings, Weazer

Okay, I am joining in with the liquids. I will start in the morning. I just need to do something to jump start me. I am craving way too many sweets and carbs. So here is to the liquids.............

Laura