Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just made the decision

Hi--my name is Carol. I am retired, married for 49 years, mother of 3, and Grandma of 2 lovely young ladies. All reasons that I am tired of carrying around this extra weight. I have Type 2 Diabetes, HBP, High Cholesterol, and a knee replacement that required 5 surgeries in 7 1/2 months due to infection. I have a great deal of difficulty getting around, and am convinced that even though my knee won't get better, it will be more functional if I lose weight. I have yo-yo dieted off and on for many years. When I first checked into WLS, it wasn't an option due to cost. Now, that is no longer an obstacle. During a routine visit with my PCP just three days ago, I brought up the possibility of Lap Band Surgery. He was all for it. I have had the same physician for over 20 years, so I am confident that he knows me well enough to make that recommendation. The next day, I researched doctors, contacted insurance companies. and signed up for a Seminar 10 days from now. The paperwork was e-mailed to me. It is completed and ready to go. I can't wait to start this journey. I have actually started rethinking my food choices and activities already. Some of my friends have referred to Lap Band as the "easy way out". They obviously haven't researched it like I have. One friend lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers--something I was jealous of because I have tried that route several times. I just recently realized that Weight Watchers is no more than a tool, the same as lap band. We aren't all successful with the same tool. I'm almost afraid to throw this out there for fear of bursting this high-soaring bubble, but...please tell me if you have any experience with Medicare paying for this surgery. They assured me they will cover 80% after deductible and out-of-pocket expenses and my Medicare Supplement will cover the rest of any procedure that Medicare will cover. This sounds almost too good to be true, so I'm anxious to hear of others' experiences. I'll keep you updated--meanwhile, I'll be reading.

Hi--my name is Carol. I am retired, married for 49 years, mother of 3, and Grandma of 2 lovely young ladies. All reasons that I am tired of carrying around this extra weight. I have Type 2 Diabetes, HBP, High Cholesterol, and a knee replacement that required 5 surgeries in 7 1/2 months due to infection. I have a great deal of difficulty getting around, and am convinced that even though my knee won't get better, it will be more functional if I lose weight. I have yo-yo dieted off and on for many years. When I first checked into WLS, it wasn't an option due to cost. Now, that is no longer an obstacle. During a routine visit with my PCP just three days ago, I brought up the possibility of Lap Band Surgery. He was all for it. I have had the same physician for over 20 years, so I am confident that he knows me well enough to make that recommendation. The next day, I researched doctors, contacted insurance companies. and signed up for a Seminar 10 days from now. The paperwork was e-mailed to me. It is completed and ready to go. I can't wait to start this journey. I have actually started rethinking my food choices and activities already. Some of my friends have referred to Lap Band as the "easy way out". They obviously haven't researched it like I have. One friend lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers--something I was jealous of because I have tried that route several times. I just recently realized that Weight Watchers is no more than a tool, the same as lap band. We aren't all successful with the same tool. I'm almost afraid to throw this out there for fear of bursting this high-soaring bubble, but...please tell me if you have any experience with Medicare paying for this surgery. They assured me they will cover 80% after deductible and out-of-pocket expenses and my Medicare Supplement will cover the rest of any procedure that Medicare will cover. This sounds almost too good to be true, so I'm anxious to hear of others' experiences. I'll keep you updated--meanwhile, I'll be reading.

Congrats on your new journey. I love the band. I have had it for 1 1/2 years. I was almost 62 when I got it. My life is so much better. It is a tool and my tool reminds me to eat slow and small amounts

Congratulations on you and your doctor's decision. Best wishes to you.

Congrats and welcome to "the easy way out" NOT! Be prepared, this will be one of the hardest things you've ever done but will also be one of the most self rewarding journey's in your life.

Medicare has paid for some bands but there's one person, and I can't recall their name, whose hospital or clinic would not do the band under Medicare but would allow the sleeve? Seemed suspicious to me(the clinic) but that's what they were saying.

Your doctor's insurance person would know more than I anyway.

tmf

Good for you! It's your time to become a healthier human.

Just a little note about the friends saying lap band is the easy way out. This is why I wish I hadn't told anyone but my husband and maybe very close family. I put hard work everyday into making good healthy choices and exercising. I feel like when people know I have the band, it downplays all of my hard work. You may want to be very selective with who you tell.

Best wishes to you!

Congrats on making a decision to regain your health.

It is a wild ride and it is hard but it IS SO WORTH IT!!!!

A tool is only a good tool if you use it correctly…I agree with @@Leepers --I've told very few people about my WLS and that was the best decision for me…you will do what works best for you!

Best of luck…keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by chasingadream

I was very glad to read your advice. I was wondering about this very thing. I, of course, will include my family in my decision. Other than that, I have one very close Christian friend whom I trust to keep this to herself--it's always good to enlist someone who will pray for your success. I am not even going to share this with my TOPS group--there is one member in particular who will constantly be giving me all the reasons I should not have a lap band and will be watching for any sign of failure. TOPS, as a whole, neither advocates nor discourages the surgery and provides a division for those who choose to use that tool. I would like to hear from anyone who has not disclosed their surgery to "the world" and how they handle the comments when the weight loss starts showing.

Good for you! It's your time to become a healthier human.
Just a little note about the friends saying lap band is the easy way out. This is why I wish I hadn't told anyone but my husband and maybe very close family. I put hard work everyday into making good healthy choices and exercising. I feel like when people know I have the band, it downplays all of my hard work. You may want to be very selective with who you tell.
Best wishes to you!

I fall into that category….besides the closest of family and 2 really close friends only about 7 trustworthy "work" friends (out of 65) know about my surgery.

I have had an abundance of compliments as of late, that's what happens when your wardrobe finally catches up to the weight loss. I HAD to buy new clothes since the old ones were falling off of me and i did look ridiculous.

Let me begin by saying I DO NOT like being the center of attention EVER…especially when it comes to my appearance….good or bad! So all of the compliments are a bit tough for me but i am adjusting. Usually I just give a big smile and say thanks and keep on moving…but there are those people who 'corner' you and want to know what you are doing….so I give them an honest answer …."I am eating small portions that are high in protein…some carbs but not a lot and Im out and walking"….and that is the truth….so I left out the part about the tool…well they didn't ask about that now did they…LOL.

I feel that not everyone needs to know about MY decision. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life and I did not make it lightly. My ever supportive hubby and I talked and talked and talked and asked a gazillion questions to my doctor…we even went back for a follow up appt to answer all of our questions. So I do not need anyones unsolicited advice on something they do not really know about. And NOONE can understand where I was coming from at 280 pounds (my highest) when I made this decision. I have told a few more people lately but ONLY people I trust to keep it between us and people I know will support me as I continue my journey.

Sometimes I think people ask "what are you doing" like this has been some miracle weight loss that they can embrace and lose for themselves…and in some cases that is true but unfortunately in others that I know it is just them looking for gossip and waiting for me to fail…as I have many many times before….NOT THIS TIME!

So although I am learning to hold my head up high and take a compliment for simply that…and I am getting better at it…it is a new experience for me. Many of my colleagues I've known for 15 years working in the same school and they have always seen me as heavy so this is new to them AND me.

To be honest, I can finally see the changes to myself when I look in the mirror and it feels wonderful….so although uncomfortable at times it is nice to hear the compliments for what I've accomplished thus far.

Hope this help you @@Carol Annie !!! Best of luck to you!!!

Congrats on your choice!

I had surgery when I was 59, three years ago.

One of the best decisions I' ve ever made.

This seems like wonderful advice. I feel certain that I can follow your example. Right now, I feel like the 24th is years away--I can't wait to get started.

I fall into that category….besides the closest of family and 2 really close friends only about 7 trustworthy "work" friends (out of 65) know about my surgery.

I have had an abundance of compliments as of late, that's what happens when your wardrobe finally catches up to the weight loss. I HAD to buy new clothes since the old ones were falling off of me and i did look ridiculous.

Let me begin by saying I DO NOT like being the center of attention EVER…especially when it comes to my appearance….good or bad! So all of the compliments are a bit tough for me but i am adjusting. Usually I just give a big smile and say thanks and keep on moving…but there are those people who 'corner' you and want to know what you are doing….so I give them an honest answer …."I am eating small portions that are high in protein…some carbs but not a lot and Im out and walking"….and that is the truth….so I left out the part about the tool…well they didn't ask about that now did they…LOL.

I feel that not everyone needs to know about MY decision. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life and I did not make it lightly. My ever supportive hubby and I talked and talked and talked and asked a gazillion questions to my doctor…we even went back for a follow up appt to answer all of our questions. So I do not need anyones unsolicited advice on something they do not really know about. And NOONE can understand where I was coming from at 280 pounds (my highest) when I made this decision. I have told a few more people lately but ONLY people I trust to keep it between us and people I know will support me as I continue my journey.

Sometimes I think people ask "what are you doing" like this has been some miracle weight loss that they can embrace and lose for themselves…and in some cases that is true but unfortunately in others that I know it is just them looking for gossip and waiting for me to fail…as I have many many times before….NOT THIS TIME!

So although I am learning to hold my head up high and take a compliment for simply that…and I am getting better at it…it is a new experience for me. Many of my colleagues I've known for 15 years working in the same school and they have always seen me as heavy so this is new to them AND me.

To be honest, I can finally see the changes to myself when I look in the mirror and it feels wonderful….so although uncomfortable at times it is nice to hear the compliments for what I've accomplished thus far.

Hope this help you @@Carol Annie !!! Best of luck to you!!!

I am very excited about getting my surgery and even more excited when I read all of your positive feedback to others!

I also made my decision to have the lap band a couple of days ago. I have already started making small steps like eating smaller bites and slower. I know the closer it gets to time for my surgey the greater the challenge will be, but I am depending on God, my husband and all of you for support!

Edited by theard