Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS and Divorce

I am just curious if anyone wants to chime in on this topic. Is there a correlation between WLS and Divorce?

I have heard that before on here. I think that some spouses have a problem with the person that they are with losing weight and may feel intimidated or something. I am sure if you look up threads, there will be more information.

You ok or just random question? I've seen a lot of other posts on here about divorce. For me, I've been on a weight roller coaster for a while. When you're overweight, you tend to put up with more crap from a partner as we feel who else would want us? But when we lose the weight a number of us find the confidence to kick the piece of crap to the curb. I know when I had lost a bunch of weight (not tied to surgery just one of my previous attempts) my husband and I had more problems since I stood up for myself more.

I'm divorced now too. But that was before surgery.

Edited by kimk1999

I was served divorce papers the day after I got home from lap-band surgery. To be fair we had been separated for 2 years and his decision to divorce me had nothing to do with the surgery. I'm not even sure if he knows I had surgery. I must say that my reasons for getting surgery were indirectly related to my ex. Since I having only myself to care for I finally took the time to focus on my needs. I got a WAAAAAY better job than I had, with excellent benefits and I thought, 'check it out and see if it's for you' and here I am today. Happier healthier and stronger and now enjoying life better than ever before.

People do get divorced with or without wls. That's very true - it may have happened regardless. You have to do what makes YOU happy!

Edited by jamilyne 102668

KimK - I'm doing fine. I was just curious. I lean more to towards the thinking that if a couple gets divorced after WLS there were problems there to begin with. I also agree with what was said about gaining confidence and deciding you may be in a relationship where you deserve better.

I know of two people who had affairs after they had WLS surgery. They enjoyed the new found attention they were getting and decided the grass was going to be greener on the other side. In both cases, it wasn't. I just happened to talk to one of my gf's about her affair yesterday so this topic was on my mind. As those of us who are married or in long term relationships we know, it takes work to make a relationship work. Just like we who are dropping weight and feeling better about ourselves it can sometimes take a little while for your significant other to catch up. My hubby is having to get used to a more active and outgoing me. For instance, I would never go to any of his work functions because I was embarrassed of how I looked, but his friend is getting married next weekend and he was surprised when I sent in the RSVP for two.

I guess, what I'm saying is if your not prepared or secure in your relationship WLS can be a point of contention for couples.On the one hand I'm happy for those who leave dysfunctional relationships because they find their voice, but on the other hand I'm sad for the folks who get thin and lose their minds wanting to relive their youth and forget about their family. Just my two cents.

You ok or just random question? I've seen a lot of other posts on here about divorce. For me, I've been on a weight roller coaster for a while. When you're overweight, you tend to put up with more crap from a partner as we feel who else would want us? But when we lose the weight a number of us find the confidence to kick the piece of crap to the curb. I know when I had lost a bunch of weight (not tied to surgery just one of my previous attempts) my husband and I had more problems since I stood up for myself more.

I'm divorced now too. But that was before surgery.