Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can vsg help in the quest to cure binge eating?

Can the sleeve be a tool to help you in your mission to cure a binge eating disorder?

I think so, because you can only take in so much...but YOU have to be ready to make changes as well...the sleeve is only a tool, if you don't make the right choices, you will not succeed...so don't look at the surgery as a "cure all"... you can still consume junk food, like chips or other crap instead of eating Protein and you will not have success... you have to be in the right frame of mind for this surgery.... now my biggest "binge" is raw almonds!!! Things have changed and I don't miss all the junk I threw down my throat before the surgery!!! ;)

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Though the amount of food eating at one time is limited, you can (unfortunately) still binge eat.

I say this not because I have this problem but rather I know the psychology behind binge eating. Once an episode starts, the person will eat till the urge stops. After VSG the quantity is limited to 1/2 cup (unless you eat slider foods that seem to never fill one up) but once that "full" feeling subsides, you can continue to eat till the full feeling again. I would imagine one could continuously eat all day till the urge has been satisfied.

This behavior needs professional counseling and one should not assume the surgery will force you not to eat through the problems.

To cure binge eating, I don't think so. As you have probably hear, the sleeve is a restrictive type WLS. As BGP points out, it is a tool, but you still have to make the right decisions. There are slider foods that I can still eat great quantities of. I can sit down and still eat the same huge bowl of ice cream as I could pre-op.

I, too, was a binge eater. Like you (I'm guessing), I wanted to be able to stop eating once I was full instead of eating until I couldn't anymore. I abused food and it controlled me. I was beginning to think of my next meal before I finished my current meal. I had to make a permanent change with my relationship with food.

For me, the sleeve was the answer. The restriction I feel came up on me quickly and I did mourn not being able to abuse food the way I had. But it also forced me to look deep into my soul searching for the reasons why I wanted to keep eating even though I obviously was full. This can be a highly personal journey of self reflection if you choose to do the work. Just know that the sleeve is not going to do the work alone. You are going to have to participate. To rob a saying and mutate it for my own use:

"The sleeve can move mountains, but bring a shovel!"

I think the sleeve helps, but until a person is ready to stop using food to sooth all emotional issues, it wouldn't solve all the binge eating problems. There are ways to circumvent the restriction of the sleeve, and for someone who isn't committed to the permanent changes to one's eating and lifestyle, it would be an expensive and risky surgery to undergo.

If one were committed to making those changes, then the sleeve can be a huge help in dealing with food issues. I used to feel hunger 100% of the time, both real hunger pangs and the "head" hunger too. The sleeve removed the physical hunger and made it much easier for me to deal with the "head" hunger. I still am learning a new relationship with food, but feel much more in control now than I ever did before the sleeve surgery.

I agree with PDXman ,,it won't cure binge ester. However I find it helps tremendously. ..I was a binge eater. I saw an eating disorder psychologist for 8 weeks prior to surgery. And seeing her every other week after my sleeve surgery. I use food when I am stressed, too tired or feel very anxious. The sleeve has def curbed my physical hunger ..but I have to still be aware of my head. When head hi pungent raises it's ugly head. I analyze myself ..figure out why I feel this way..and take action.. Either by slowing down, lay on soda and rest. I started a consulting job and this made me so anxious..nervous feeling. I had to talk to myself and say that my health i pis much more important than any job. Putting me as priority..not a job that I doing to fill up time I gave on my hands,

I can honestly say that I had a 'small binge" only one day. since surgery. Nothing could fill me up..mentally. However , physically I was sick.I ate the wrong foods. After I analyzed myself.,and understood what made me ear unhealthy foods. I got composed and went right back with eating my nutritious meals the rest of the day. In the past, I would intake about 2,000 to 3,000 calories of junk during a binge Mostly sweets. The "binge I had with the sleeve was about 500 calories. I did not beat myself up with this...cause I understood myself as to why it occurred. I did post on this website that day for encouragement. It helped tremendously. Prior to surgery , the all or none attitude (perfection) with my setting would send me on a binge for days.. I would say..oh I will try again on Monday.

One more thing, the sleeve has decreased my appetite tremendously, when I eat my Protein first, then veggies..I am very satisfied and I usually don't want another bite. Prior to surgery , I had a bottomless pit and never felt full..even after a binge.

You are getting advice from some Very Wise Folks here! I'm a recovering binge eater too. I was bulimic for 15 years then 'upgraded' to the binging only. :-) Vsg has been an excellent tool for me so far. My tastes have changed, esp with regard to sweets and chocolate. I actually took a bite of my song's Bosco stick the other night and ended up spitting it back out. Weird, funky, yeast nastiness. It's literally just how I felt when I was pregnant, during my first trimester.

I have had a few minor binges, but we're talking a tiny fraction of what it used to be. Not be able to alternate between sweet and savory REALLY puts a damper on things for me. I used to chase pizza with soda or ice cream. Now I cant imagine the stomach discomfort of drinking soda, and ice cream just reminds me of a frozen Protein shake! Who needs that?

Of course, the head hunger issues have to be dealt with constructively. After all, I just spent 45 years medicating all possible unpleasant emotions with food. Now I do things like getting on Bariatric Pal. I also find that exercise, my increasing strength, huge decrease in physical pain, better sleep, and increasing confidence are fantastic mood boosters.

I am so glad I made this radical commitment to my health!