Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Canadians ?

Things are very different in Alberta. You get weighed at every appointment. And until you meet the surgeon and he gives the go ahead, it is not a guarantee. When you get accepted into the program here, that is just the program and not necessarily surgery.

Thanks BriWLS. When you say they only weigh you the first time, what visit are you referring to? I haven't been weighed by anyone in the bariatric program yet. Did they weigh you at orientation? That's the only thing I've done so far. Only my family physician, when she wrote the referral, has weighed me. You also said that they don't measure your BMI after you're on Optifast but that's not until your surgery is approved right?

Calgirl26 I will for sure keep your experience in mind. I'd be devastated to be denied WLS because my BMI dropped to 34.5. Maybe this is something I'll have to bring up at my social worker meeting in October.

My 1st appointment is with the social worker in October.

I don't see the dietician until February. Does it usually go in that order? Social worker and then the nutritionist?

Ohh so you are seeing the social worker first ( that's when you will be weighed) The appointment right AFTER your orientation is going to be the first time they weigh you so if your first one is social worker then she/ he will be the one that weighs you

Edited by BriWLS

Hey ! I'm from Brampton too :) I am 5 months post op I had my surgery in April and I'm down 73 pounds so far. If any of you have any questions let me know !

Hi, I'm from Ottawa and just 1 month away from my surgery. Holy moly, it's coming quick, if you could give me the most important thing that you have learned post op.. What would it be?

Wow how exciting ! You will truly love this journey, I know it seems extremely scary right now and during opti fast you might just break down and say WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING ?!? But believe me get through it because it is so worth it. The most important thing I have learned post op is that you can't be to hard on yourself when you hit those stalls because honestly you will come across many of them! You just have to hang in there and don't get discouraged. People around you like family and friends are going to react in different ways some more positive then others and you may even lose some friends along the way ( it happens believe me) and you do change overall as a person. You become more confident, putting yourself out there. Make sure you have a good support system after your surgery because you need it. I'm lucky I had my mom there every step of the way, you need someone to support you and I'm sure you will get lots of that on here too! So welcome ! If you ever need some advice message me anytime ????

Thanks BriWLS. It's almost depressing thinking that I have no choice but to remain at the same weight for what may well be a year or more.

It's so hard to just do nothing. I'm always trying to eat right (though I often fail) but sometimes I have good stretches where I might lose a few pounds. Now I feel like I'm being held hostage to my weight. No trying to eat healthy food or I'll be penalized. This is so frustrating. I'm really looking forward to seeing the social worker this month.

I was in the same boat as you. After you meet with the social worker I would still continue to try and go down in weight after that point. They won't hold it against you because part of the judgement of allowing you to go through this process is how many times you have tried to be on other weight loss programs that failed for you they make their decision off of that too. ALSO they want to see some improvements after the social worker appointment, they want to see if you are trying to lose some weight BEFORE the surgery this will show them your dedication to your goal. How old are you and what is your weight and height if you don't mind me asking ?

Edited by BriWLS

This is all so confusing......and maddening!

I thought someone said earlier that you still have to have the minimum BMI when you meet the surgeon and that's many months away for me. At my current BMI I have no room to lose weight and still qualify. I have a long history of weight loss, diets and regaining the weight since my teenage years, so that's no problem. I'd be happy to diet again but not if it's going to disqualify me.

53, 5'4" and 207 lbs.

I did mine at Toronto western hospital they only weighed me once when I went to the social worker AFTER orientation I was not weighed again UNTIL I met with my surgeon BUT you don't meet a surgeon UNLESS you have already been approved. Meeting the surgeon is your LAST step if you meet a surgeon that means you are getting the surgery they approved you.Then they put me on opti fast just before my surgery. Does that make sense ?

Sure that makes sense BriWLS. But were you under 35 BMI when you met the surgeon? I thought that if you aren't 35 BMI or over that the surgeon would then deny you even though you were initially approved.

I'm 5'6 I was 265 pounds so my bmi was about 40-41 you are about 5'2 207 pounds so your bmi is 37.8 that is above 35 morbid obese just like me AND you have been on many weight loss programs you have to mention that. Do you have high blood pressure or anything ? I didn't have any high blood pressure or diabetes, but I told them I've been over weight since I was a kid and weight loss programs never helped me maintain my weight. Honestly I think you will be fine just go to your appointments and be honest you want to make a LIFESTYLE change and this surgery does that everything changes, the way you think about food and exercise changes and you want this opportunity tell them that