Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOT ADAPTING TO PHASE 2...HELP!

OK, I am 6 days post op and I have been following the restrictions for the clear liquid phase these past 5 days...my post op instructions indicate that I should be starting the full liquid phase and incorporating the Proteins into my "meals". Wanting to adhere, I proceeded this morning to make a 1/4 cup of thin and soupy cream of wheat(using skim milk and a whisk). After consuming 4 baby spoons full, I got COMPLETELY ILL!! DIZZY, NAUSEA, FEELING THAT THE food WAS STUCK AND EVENTUALLY VOMITTING. UGH! This is a feeling that I do not want to experience again. Has anyone else had a similar effect when transitioning between phases? I left a message with the nurse, but I am waiting for the return call. I am thinking that I was not ready for something so "heavy" I have tried the sugar free pudding, Jell-O, popsicles and I can even drink 11oz of Premier Protein over a 3 hr. time span...Am I doing something wrong here? Any input would be appreciated

Maybe its too early for cream of wheat? I was told not to start eating cream of wheat or creamy Soups until the "mushies" or pureed stage which is two weeks after. One week after surgery, I started incorporating Protein shakes for Breakfast and broth throughout the day.. some applesauce but it gave me bad heart burn. Maybe the cream of wheat is too starchy for 6 days out :(

I am three weeks out and I am still not allowed cream of wheat for 4 more days. I was on Protein Shakes only for the first week after I returned home. (but i do think some people were allowed sugar free pudding or fatfree yogurt).. Anywho, I couldn't even tolerate certain shakes because they were too thick. I can't say I experienced exactly what you did, but I did feel nauseaus after drinking the think ones. I gave up drinking those and only drink one type of Protein Shake now.

Thanks Ladies, I was questioning if this was truly too soon to try such a heavy substance. The nurse just returned my call and stated that my stomach isn't ready(as some others are) so I have been restricted to Clear liquids only for the next few days and then reintroduce 1 new thing at a time every few days. Though the cream wheat is on my full list, I am moving it to the puree list.

I'm on liquids for 3 weeks before I can start the stage 2 diet. Based on the different responses , it looks like you have the shortest number of days on the liquid diet.<br><br> I hope you feel better

don't rush it, there are reasons. I thought I was feeling great just started purses just 2 weeks out, surgery was Feb 18 th RNY. Thought last night I would try a couple of small shrimp with my refrained Beans, BAD CHOICE in pain all night ,thought I was having a heart attack. I'm having trouble getting in all my Protein and fluids, so I though it would be ok for some protein, not easily digested no matter how much you chew, lesson learned, I'm trying two Premier Protein shakes Breakfast, lunch, two snack fit Greek yogurt with 1 scoop unflavored protein, Jello, Popsicle, Soup w/ 1 scoop unflavored protein and as much Water as I can possibly take, I always feel full, just head hungry. Let alone all the supplement...., I'm also tying to log everything on a really cool appt "lose it" feel better. Spirits go up, weight goes down

On the bright side a month from now this will all be a long forgotten nightmare. It sucks but it's short lived. Hang in there, you all are doing great

Honestly, if you have trouble choking down shakes like I do, you should try optimum nutrition Gold Standard double chocolate Protein shakes with skim plus milk. Taste like hot cocoa on ice! delish and not thick at all. The powder has 24 grams of Protein per scoop. The milk has 11 grams. Goes down so easy and its like dessert for breakfast.

Cream of wheat may be too heavy. If you are on full liquid Soups without noodles pureed, Jello, Protein drinks.I really liked V-8 fusion. Avoid Tomato based because it may cause too much acid.

Cream of wheat may be too heavy. If you are on full liquid Soups without noodles pureed, Jello, Protein drinks.I really liked V-8 fusion. Avoid Tomato based because it may cause too much acid.

I tried Cream of Wheat on day 6 after surgery (Feb 25, 2014). I made it extremely liquid, using low fat milk, and I used Splenda to sweeten it. It was wonderful, and I had no problems at all with nausea. Actually, I haven't been nauseous at all with this surgery. I'm still on full liquids until next tuesday. Tonight I tried refried Beans watered down with chicken broth, with a bit of mayo, melted cheese and salt for flavor, and it was wonderful. My nutritionist said as long as it would go through a straw, it would be considered a full liquid, and I could eat it, but of course, not to use a straw. She also said to err on the side of caution if I wasn't sure whether or not I could tolerate something.

I tried Cream of Wheat on day 6 after surgery (Feb 25, 2014). I made it extremely liquid, using low fat milk, and I used Splenda to sweeten it. It was wonderful, and I had no problems at all with nausea. Actually, I haven't been nauseous at all with this surgery. I'm still on full liquids until next tuesday. Tonight I tried refried Beans watered down with chicken broth, with a bit of mayo, melted cheese and salt for flavor, and it was wonderful. My nutritionist said as long as it would go through a straw, it would be considered a full liquid, and I could eat it, but of course, not to use a straw. She also said to err on the side of caution if I wasn't sure whether or not I could tolerate something.

I'm on full liquids till Tuesday as well but my nut won't let me have refried beans till the puréed stage starts... I'm sooooo looking forward to it and I don't even like beans lol

Edited by Splatt83