Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Northern California surgery date 3/10 looking for buddy

I am getting my surgery done at Stanford on 3/10/2014. I am in my liquid only diet phase and struggling. I could use some encouragement. I am having family members tell me how disappointing I am for going ahead with surgery. I am looking forward to a life at a healthy weight and don't understand peoples negativity. I just need a different perspective to help keep me motivated and on track.

Thanks

So they are jealous that you are going to get healthy? Feel better, and with a better quality of life? I'd ask them what they don't want you to be healthy.

Shoot I think insurance should cover at least one revision ... and 2 plastic surgeries for each person. LOL.

Vic

Hello! I am in California too (Northern CA, in Chico area); my surgery was in October 2013. You are doing something for yourself & your family so don't let other people's negative reactions undermine your decision. Many people don't understand how hard you have tried to loose weight in the past without success and what has led to this decision; I shut down some of my concerned family by reassuring them that I had done my research and understood the risks as well as the benefits which include a better quality of life, more energy, less health problems, more time on this earth, God willing, with my family - the list just goes on. :) This forum is a great place to talk about these things.

You mention struggling with the pre op liquid diet. Are you having a hard time sticking to it, going 'off' and having things to eat that your not suppose to? Is that what you mean? What is your liquid diet guidelines from your surgeon (everyone's are different)? Some people are allowed small portions of food, etc. I am on my pre op liquid diet too, just a few more days to go for me. 3/10/14 will be here before you know it!!!!! You got this!!!

Protein Shakes and carrots and Soup

Greetings Charlie707, I'm up in red bluff. I'm also scheduled for surgery on 3/19. I'm originally from Chico, but moved for work. What procedure are you having? Sleeve or Band? I'm having a sleeve. On ne if ya wanna chat.

Edited by Borders3

Hi Charlie,

I'm in the south bay. I had my surgery at Kaiser Fremont in May 2011. I've been at goal two years later this month. I'm guessing that you have co-morbidities because it looks like your starting BMI was less than 40. I see that you joined last summer, so I know you've been working towards this surgery for some time now.

I'm sorry some of your family doesn't understand how difficult it is to lose weight and keep it off without surgery. I suggest sticking to a line, such as "my doctor and I have have determined this is the best option for me."

Keep your eye on the prize these next fews days. Buy yourself some non-food treats to reward yourself now and after surgery.

I was scared as surgery approached, so I used that energy to clean house, get out my too small clothes, pay bills, stock up on non-perishables, load up some movies on the laptop or my DVR, and stock up on books and magazines.

I am so happy at goal. I feel so much better, my energy is better, and I spend less on food and clothes.

I'll be thinking of you on the 10th!

Lynda

Greetings Charlie707, I'm up in red bluff. I'm also scheduled for surgery on 3/19. I'm originally from Chico, but moved for work. What procedure are you having? Sleeve or Band? I'm having a sleeve. On ne if ya wanna chat.

Sorry, I meant to type 3/10.

Hi I'm in the east bay. I had my surgery 01/07/14, in Oakland. If you need a buddy feel free to contact me or add me as a friend. That's one of the reasons I chose to not tell anyone. Don't need the negativity. I did this surgery for my health. Someone who has never been overweight can never sympathize with what we have gone through. It's so much more than not fitting in your jeans. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.