Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this really gonna happen....smh

Hi guys and gals,

I am starting to loose my excitement and I think I'm starting to feel as if this isn't gonna happen. I am sure that my lack of patience plays a very big role in this but this process is also very long. From the moment I found out my insurance would cover the sleeve procedure I was over the moon but because of depression it seemed like I had no follow through. Anyway, I finally made some effort and met with my surgeon and the dietician. At the same time I made an appt for the psychological eval but they didn't have any appts for more than a month. Needless to say with all the appts being s spread out and not really knowing the next step, it's starting to feel unreal again. In response to this I think I am eating more and self sabotaging.

Does anyone understand or has experienced this?

Yes a little. I was originally interested in August of 2012 but my insurance didn't cover it. It took a while to get me switched to my husband's insurance but I meant with my surgeon in August 2013. I only have 2 nutritionist appts left out of 6 and the closer I get the more excited I get. I think it probably just seems overwelming right now. Once you get some appts out of the way it will get easier.

You are absolutely right, I will feel better once I'm closer but that's the thing, I don't know where I am exactly on this journey. No one has specifically stated I need 6mo of nutrition or what....I'm lost. I have an appt on Tuesday and hopefully they can give me a timeline.

They should but every doctor and insurance if different. Mine set up a bunch of appts for me and they gave me a timeline.

Yep totally know how you feel. The initial referral for the surgery went in at the end of last July, and it's been a process ever since. I am so close yet so far right now... Just waiting for a call for an appointment with the surgeon and then after that they will schedule surgery. It doesn't feel real at all yet though. Probably won't feel real until I'm on the operating table lol. It's been a lot of thumb twiddling but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Good luck!

Does it ever become a bit much, watching others take the steps we are anxiously awaiting? I want to write a post about my surgery date. I'm sorry guys I'm just venting. This is more mental than physical right now.

Does it ever become a bit much, watching others take the steps we are anxiously awaiting? I want to write a post about my surgery date. I'm sorry guys I'm just venting. This is more mental than physical right now.

I didn't get my surgery date til the end of January and I started this process in September. It's been 6 months and it seems to have really went by super fast.

Watching others only motivates me more. I get to see so many successes. It's great.

I can honestly say that I'm happy I had sessions with my nutritionist. She only works with bariatric patients and at each appointment I gained a wealth of knowledge. Also, this site has helped prepare me in so many ways.

April

I know exactly how you feel it's been 7 months for me and I just got my surgeon appointment, hang in there, it's ok to vent we all understand, but remember you did not get to this point overnight and you are getting closer to a new you, feel free to vent anytime we truly understand, please feel free to email me .

Your insurance company should be able to give you a timeline for what you will be required to do. My surgeon told me that the timeline comes from my insurance company, not from him. Different employers choose different coverages & requirements, so I was going to have to follow what my husband's employer had selected. It ended up being 3 months of doctor supervised diet (which was only going to see the surgeon once a month & getting weighed, no specific "diet" to follow), a psych eval, clearance from my primary care physician, and 3 monthly meetings with the NUT. I was also required to get cardiac clearance, pulmonary clearance, and an endoscopy in the 2 weeks prior to the surgery. It took me about 4 months to finish all the requirements, and I had surgery last June. Good luck to you!

Ok folks I'm feeling a lot better today. Just left the doctors office and we are starting the various tests that are required. I feel like the ball is rolling and As BTW: I have reached the 14 day mark as a NON-SMOKER....OMFG I never thought it was possible but God is good! I think my surgery will be in June but I'm praying for May.

Ok folks I'm feeling a lot better today. Just left the doctors office and we are starting the various tests that are required. I feel like the ball is rolling and As BTW: I have reached the 14 day mark as a NON-SMOKER....OMFG I never thought it was possible but God is good! I think my surgery will be in June but I'm praying for May.

Congrats!!

You guys....OMG!!!!! I met with the nutritionist today Dr. Berger. She is freaking awesome and broke it done in plain English for me today. Ya''ll, if I hadn't been a smoker I would be having this surgery like next month....damn cigarettes lol. Anyway she explained the Vitamins I should be taking and I completed blood work. I met with the dietician and both ladies said EARLY MAY....OMG...WTF....this news almost brought tears to my eyes because it was accompanied by a clearance from my dietician. So one more appt with nutrition and the official psyc appt. Folks the ball is rolling and I am freaking excited and nervous....

I am so glad I joined this forum. I appreciate your support and encouragement. Yall rock!!!!!!!