Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GASTRIC SLEEVE OR GASTRIC BYPASS... MIXED EMOTIONS

Well Hello... My friends call me Yathie.. And this is my story... About 4 years ago I wanted to do the operation,{GASTRIC SLEEVE} then came to almost doing it and change mind,{ SCARED OUT OF} Now my Surgery is scheduled to February 24 2014 and it's been a hell of an up and down mad roller coaster ride, In August of 2013 was my first visit with my surgeon on deciding which surgery is best for me. As I was hoping she would say the sleeve, which she did, but then 1 month before my scheduled surgery date, she changes mind in saying that maybe the gastric bypass would be best since I suffer from heartburn and even though I lost some weight for surgery my hearburn is still bad and also have a hiatal hernia.. Once she told me this, I literally had a panic attack not there of course, she told me think about it and i will call Tuesday. Tuesday comes and I changed my mind this week of thinking it over was killing me with anxiety and told her no im not going through it. So the next day comes and im thinking to myself what im i thinking calling back saying id like to keep it and continue surgery. So I was just wondering does the gastric bypass make you lose weight faster than the sleeve?? I just feel like i don't have great elasticity that ill be all wobbly and will hate my body more than i do now. Can anyone help out in answering my question? Thanks

I don't think the bypass is any quicker in the beginning, but overall I think you will lose more.

I don't want to put you off of anything, but I will tell you my sleeve 4 years ago failed. At first it was great but by 6 months I had zero restriction and it made my reflux worse and I ended up with 4 hernias. Plus my surgeon does not have any faith in the sleeve at all, and judging by the amount of revisions that he does from sleeve to bypass, I think he might be right.

I should add that when he did an fluoroscope prior to my bypass, my sleeve was huge, bell shaped and twisted...so I had the bypass two weeks ago.

But all that is just my experience...some sleepers are still doing ok after a couple of years.

I think the thing to ask your self and of course your surgeon is about the longevity of your tool and would you be prepared to go for a revision if the sleeve failed?

Once again, really not trying to change your mind, just giving you my experience.

All the best

Xx

After all the research I have done, I would NOT get the sleeve. There is an Increased chance of developing esophigal cancer later on, especially in people with GERD, reflux and Haitial hernia. My doctor suggested sleeve for me, but I insisted on RYN. My surgery is scheduled for June.

I was considering the sleeve or rny and through my research I also decided on the bypass. I only know one person personally who had a sleeve to rny revision (my cousin). It's just not for me... I strongly believe any of them will work if you work em' and what's right for me may not be right for you. I do hear a lot about the reflux problems so if you already have heartburn that would really put me off. Goodluck on whatever you decide.

Thanks all for your reply it, is truly helpful to me.. I think I'm good with what the Dr. suggested.. the rny i is... 9 days to go till surgery and my chest been hurting like crazy.. but I guess its normal right?. :D

I chose the RNY only because I am a strict 'rule' follower. The pouch needs strict regimens..such as Vitamins in the morning and in the evening for the rest of your life.. it hurts you when you mistreat it...it will disappoint you if you abuse it..it will 'dump on you' if you feed it wrong..I needed the most drastic surgery so that I could fully dedicate and focus on what needs to be done to keep me healthy and fit. RNY leaves no room for error, its an 'either you do or you don't..there's no in between. If you don't follow the rules, you DONT SUCCEED. Its as simple as that. If you cheat it, you cheat yourself..So says the extremeist..lol..Im a drone..lol

Although, I have found out, you can TRICK IT.l.oll..sugar free and fat free looking treats it will allow cuz the visual brain is telling it, its about to get something that looks like a 'sweet treat'...lolol..so see, it can be amusing at times..lol

I am in no way disregarding the other surgery's..they just as important and do what their suppose to do if you also follow its rules. But I do notice, other surgery people do eat a lot more variety of things ( I do envy that part)..I suppose everyone's different of course. But I surround myself with RNY people because even though were different people, we on the whole, get sick over the same things? curious...I think most of us secretly are still looking for bread that doesn't make us sick...lol..ok maybe that's just me..lol

<p>I am in no way disregarding the other surgery's..they just as important and do what their suppose to do if you also follow its rules. But I do notice, other surgery people do eat a lot more variety of things ( I do envy that part)..I suppose everyone's different of course. But I surround myself with RNY people because even though were different people, we on the whole, get sick over the same things? curious...I think most of us secretly are still looking for bread that doesn't make us sick...lol..ok maybe that's just me..lol</p>

Bread and chocolate are what got me to where I am, I avoid them like the plague now. But a year ago, give me a whole loaf of French bread and some butter for dinner and I am good to go! Lol

@Katring-->right!!!!!????...lolol..

I'm 5 months out from gastric bypass surgery. For better or worse, I can eat anything and everything. I have mixed feelings about this. Scared that i can eat the same things that got me in trouble in the first place, but happy that i csn enjoy a goody in moderation. I originally wanted the sleeve, but my doc suggested the bypass due to my type 2 diabetes. I also keep hearing that bypass is the "gold standard". I only wanted to do this once!

My doctor used that same term "Golden Standard" when talking about the bypass. I'm so confused!!!!

I never had the sleeve but I did have a band and was converted to rny last june after five years of heartburn,reflux and finally intestinal metaplasia (precurser to esophageal cancer) from all the vomiting. I am now 8.5 months out from the revision to rny and feel like a teenager again. I'm 20 lbs from goal, never had reflux or heartburn since the revision and eat all things in moderation. I have not had any refined sugar since surgery and frankly don't miss it. Whole fruit is my only sweet now and only after Protein. I eat better than I have in years. I have friends who have been succesful with the sleeve but if you have reflux or heartburn already I'd think long and hard about that path... I never experienced reflux or heartburn until I was banded and it was the worst kind of existence. I dont regret my rny one bit in fact I wish I had done it first back in 2008 when this journey started for me.

Best of luck in your decision. You must do what you feel comfortable with because ultimately the work is up to you and any of the surgeries are work regardless of what others think. Follow the rules, journal and seek support and you'll do great!

Blessings!!

Well like yourself. I started the Bariatic clinic in feb 2013 but after putting some efford into it I got scared out of it. Then I wasn't sure if I should have the sleeve or gastric bypass. Being that I have cancer in readdmission I should put objects inside my body. After researching the sleeve I realized that for my gurd (extrem acid reflex)that it will not take it away and not enough long term answers for me to be comifitable having it done. Yet gastric bypass has long term answers lots of patients no longer suffer from reflex after bypass. So I look forward to having my bypass done in april. Hope to hear more from you again. Best of luck. It can't be any worse than what got us to the Bariatic clinics. We all deserve to live a thinner healther happier lives.