Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my consult tomorrow and Im already scared, Im afraid I could die, sounds drastic I know, but if I do not get this wieght off I know my life will always be a struggle, I enjoy reading all the positive posts from everyone, and I really want this to work for me, I pray god calms my nerves and I can enjoy a healthy future, thanks for listening.

post-194431-0-31938500-1392105636_thumb.jpg

keep this in the back of your mind as you are fulfilling all the requirements for surgery. everyone you come in contact with, your doctor, nutritionalist, psyhchologists, sleep apnea doctor etc. all want you to have this surgery and are on your side. they all recongnize that you are making the most important decision in your life that is hard to do. God is with you. And never leaves you. remember that. good luck

I was terrified of surgery and ,above all, anesthesia.

I thought I would die and never come back from it.

I was so scared of dyiing, that I was not even afraid of pain ( which was actually absolutely manageable).

I now realize that I was afraid of the changes that WLS would bring into my life.

My psychologist told me that the fear of anesthesia is the old fear of darkness, and darkness is connected to death in our minds.

Also changes scare us because they make us leave the well known and push us into the unknown, which is difficult to foresee and control.In a sense changes are similar to death..

This is the reason why I was so terrified.

I thought it over and over again, trying to calm me down.

I cannot say I was completely successful, but it prevented me from running away from the hospital on the day of my surgery.

I have my consult tomorrow and Im already scared, Im afraid I could die, sounds drastic I know, but if I do not get this wieght off I know my life will always be a struggle, I enjoy reading all the positive posts from everyone, and I really want this to work for me, I pray god calms my nerves and I can enjoy a healthy future, thanks for listening.

you wont die and you will be FINE

you will wake up and you will lose weight

follow and do what your doctor advises you to do

and MAKE yourself well.......you can do it..

What others said. It is not bad surgery, BUT, it is surgery. They do put you under. Do take it seriously, but also, relax. Best wishes.

I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and I was a bit nervous. It was all so much easier than I thought it would be. I felt like I was in the hands of nightly-trained professionals and I just needed to relax and be positive. I have a pretty good sense of humor and I think that is a good coping mechanism for me.

When I started my process I decided to get a therapist at the same time as I wanted to ensure my success by addressing the underlying issues that cause me to overeat. Anxiety, stress, boredom, habit -- we really broke those down to determine very specific triggers. If you have a lot of fear, you may use food to quell that and you might worry how you'll cope. Just know you are not alone; there are people to help you and you are stronger and more determined than you may give yourself credit for. Choosing yourself and your healthy future is a very powerful thing. Power can be a little scary -- oh my god, what will happen if I'm powerful? Well, I'll be happy and healthy, that's what. I'll have fun and enjoy my life. I'll be at peace! Nothing to fest there......

Ha, meant to type nothing to FEAR there, not fest (sorry can't correct on my iPad). But don't worry, the fest is not over either. My life is still very festive, just in smaller amounts at appropriate intervals rather than the constant grazing while wondering what's next.

In October I wrote the exact same post.... Surgery was by far the best thing I have EVER done and everyday I think.. Thank god I went through with the surgery. I feel amazing !!!! I won't lie, I did freak out on the day of the surgery and you will go through 1000 different emotions during this journey BUT every second of it was worth getting to where I am today! Good luck : - )

It's natural to be afraid. I was. I'd never had surgery. I totally thought I would die. But it all worked out and was over before I knew it. The pain was manageable and recovery quick. I totally am glad I did it. I'm 60 lbs down now. It's worth doing and everyone is there to help you. Good Luck!!

Being nervous or even scared is perfectly normal and if you had no reservations at all about the actual procedure then I would think you were a robot. That said...

I was 450lbs going into Surgery. I was very nervous about waking up. I made a point to sit and speak with family just in case something happened to me. I made sure going in that everyone knew that I made this choice and it was what I wanted. I could not going living like I was or it would be a matter of time before a heart attack or something else took me. At least I was going on my terms...

I hear you! I am scared too! I don't think I will die, but what if there is a complication? What if I have to have another surgery? And another and another?

I guess that's a common feeling. But, I'm still going to go through with it. The benefits will outweigh the risks and I just hope I do well! Hang in there!

- K

thank you everyone! I feel better already! :)

With any surgery it's scary. Believe me I know it's a big decision. The reason I chose lap band because the risks are minimal. I will be honest and tell you the first week after surgery you are going to think..

What did I do to myself???

It's the pain talking

If you follow your dr. you will have great results. It will change your life forever!

Just look forward to the big change you are about to make.

And even if you are nervous it won't matter, they give you the gas and you are out in a second. It will be the best sleep you have ever had :) no joke

I was also terrified. But it was the single best thing I've EVER done for myself, and if I had known how easy it would be (and how natural it would ultimately feel) I would have done it years and years ago.