Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Letter to the Editor

This was in my local newspaper, as a letter to the editor in the "Opinion" section....thought I would share it....

/

/

/

The Fountain of Youth is a pool of your exercise-induced perspiration. As a 91-year-old retired family physician, I rake leaves from the many trees on my property, and I did some shoveling of snow during this last storm. A few years ago, I painted most of my house.

Like the doctors mentioned in the Asbury Park Press article, “Physicians heal themselves,” Jan. 28, I too was in terrible shape a few years after graduating from medical school.

Like them, I returned to a sport in which I participated in high school and college — fencing — only to regain improved conditioning, never expecting to compete. However, I did start to enter tournaments on a local level and then nationally. What a great feeling to be in good condition again.

I eventually became a volunteer high school coach for 14 years, played softball and ran in the Senior Olympics in my 60s and then became a tennis player and enjoyed the sport into my 80s.

While I was practicing medicine, occasionally a young man in his 30s would want medication because he was out of shape. I would ask him if he exercised, and usually he would say no because he didn’t have any time. I would then ask him if he watched any sporting activities on TV, and usually he would say yes, and I would then tell him to suit up for the game in a sweat suit and exercise during the game.

If he didn’t think I was crazy and followed through with exercises, he always improved his general conditioning.

B 52...... How many times have I heard about the benefits of exercising, and how if you hang in there long enough in the beginning when you are actually dreading the MERE THOUGHT OF EXERCISING, that your life can turn around? How many times???? My husband and I joined a gym eight months ago (the fourth time I think) and I actually spent hours dreading when he would say,"Let's go to the gym." Dreaded going those first six weeks.... Then, as you know, things started to change.... Mobility, Strength, Flexibility, Endurance!!!!! Now, we both exercise 6-7 days/week. I HAVE TO GO..... My body needs for me to go. As a side note, my husband is now 50 pounds lighter and has become a runner!!!!

B 52...... How many times have I heard about the benefits of exercising, and how if you hang in there long enough in the beginning when you are actually dreading the MERE THOUGHT OF EXERCISING, that your life can turn around? How many times???? My husband and I joined a gym eight months ago (the fourth time I think) and I actually spent hours dreading when he would say,"Let's go to the gym." Dreaded going those first six weeks.... Then, as you know, things started to change.... Mobility, Strength, Flexibility, Endurance!!!!! Now, we both exercise 6-7 days/week. I HAVE TO GO..... My body needs for me to go. As a side note, my husband is now 50 pounds lighter and has become a runner!!!!

AMEN! If I miss a day at the gym, I feel like crap all day.....

At first it is a chore, until the rewards start to come, eventually....

What a great article and greater man!

I've caught the exercise bug - I find I want to push my body to see what I can do and it feels good.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches