Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight loss to expect???

I'm curious how much weight loss is expected with being banded. I heard one pound a day for the first month and then one to two pounds a week after that. I that correct?

YOu are incorrect. You will lose 1-2 lbs a week no matter when. The first month obviously you will lose more because of the liquid phase. It is quite common to actually gain weight once you get on solid until you get a fill or 2. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. I would say 10 lbs in the first month would be good, maybe 20 if you're lucky. Good luck.

I think the pound a day is more likely with gastric bypass. Lap band is a more "normal" weight loss process.

You will lose 1-2 lbs a week no matter when.
Well - that's not guaranteed. I've lost 2 lbs in the last month and a half or so.

The average loss runs something like 50% - 60% of your excess weight with an average sustained loss of 1 - 2 lbs per week. This means you may lose 20 lbs in your first week, and then nothing for 10 weeks. It does not mean you will lose at the rate of 1 - 2 per week, every week. It also means nothing other than "that's the average". YOU may lose a whole lot more, or you may lose a whole lot less. But it's important to realize that, unlike malabsorptive procedures, the band doesn't "hand over" weightloss, it's still up to you to lose it. And, as any time this is the case, you are going to lose as much or as little as YOU are able to.

This means there's no reason you can't lose more than the average if it's what you decide to do and if your psysiology will allow for it. It also means there's no reason you can't lose less than the average, if you don't make the necessary changes in your lifestyle.

In other words, you - not your band - will determine how much weight you can expect to lose.

I heard one pound a day for the first month and then one to two pounds a week after that. I that correct?
Oh, and to address those numbers specifically... I lost about 30 lbs my first week, about half of which would have been Water. By month six I had either hit or was close to 100 lbs lost. Since month six, I've really slowed down. I have a friend who was banded 3 weeks after me who has lost 9 lbs total. And I have another friend who lost almost 150 lbs in 8 months. So it just depends. If it's something you're considering, just go into it focused on doing the best you can, and -- my own advice -- really take advantage of your first 6 months.

It's going to depend on how large you are to start with... BUT... in general, most Bandsters lose in the 1-2 pounds/week range... with occasional stalls. I think that the 50-60% figure rings true as far as I am concerned. It's amazing though what a gigantic difference that made in my life... health, appearance, happiness, etc. I probably could have gone further had I not gotten preggers... but I was actually very happy where I was even if I never lost another pound.

One thing I want to point out is that some people stop losing because they can't handle more restriction... either it's just too tight or they're having reflux problems. That's why I really think you need to do all you can to make each fill work... and work with each fill. I really recommend people doing Weight Watchers or NutriSystem or something with their Band... rather than relying completely on fills. Seems to get you further, and you also have a built-in support system long-term.

Exercise (walking and swimming) helped my band. I know some people just do not have in time in their busy days. I started with about 30 minutes and have built up to 1 to 2 hours of exercise a day. I do not sweat just move.

edie

Pretty much as much as you're willing to work for.

It can go a number of ways.

You can be a perfect bandster, you can eat perfectly, exercise well and you can even do this very intensively, like Biggest Loser or something. Chances are if you do that you'll be a star loser.

You can be a not so perfect bandster, but still do mostly the right things most of the time. You'll be a moderate to slow and steady loser but will get there, as long as you eat well and exercise well most of the time.

You can eat well but not exercise, chances are you'll plateau out and stop somewhere a little above a healthy weight range but feeling great and looking MUCH better.

You can want fast weight loss but not be able to motivate yourself for many reasons to do what you need to achieve that. So you can keep getting filled tighter in a Quest to hit that sweet spot so that the band will do all the work. Chances are you'll lose quite well, but again stop short of where you want to be, maybe regain and definitely have lots of slimes, PB"s maybe unfills and refills and much mucking around. Some may even say this can lead to further complications. Or you can be lucky and just lose tons of weight.

Or you may be any or all of a combination of these, or none of them at all! Its a totally individual thing.

But one thing I do know - adopting the right behaviours to lose weight and get healthy and use your band as TOOL - generally pays dividends. Its up to you.

At the moment I am losing about a pound a day on average. I just started mushies though and the last couple of days I have been trying to eat more calories. Why? I don't want to lose 1 pound a day. I want to lose 1-2 pounds a week. Slow and steady. Now the weightloss I have gotten is great. I do really like it, my trousers are falling off, etc. But I worry about the health and skin and sustainability with the weight loss at my current rate.

I know a whole lot of it depends on me. How well I follow the rules, etc. For example, this not drinking after I eat thing is really super hard for me! So far I haven't made it past 15 or 20 mins. Someday I'll make it to that hour. But I mean I have food in my mouth. And I get thirsty! I've always drunk a ton with meals (like three full glasses or more) so I knew this would be hard for me. I might try rinsing my mouth out afterward to see if that helps some. And I know I have to actually physically measure stuff with a cup or a scale and not be lazy and not cheat and round up by a lot, etc. Its a huge change behaviorally. I fully expect there will be times when I don't lose weight because of me and my changes.