Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be 64 in March

I just wrote a reply on another thread about this. I was born in 1950. Had the RNY in 2003. I lost a lot of weight (too much, at one point-) but have had quite a few problems such as kidney stones and osteoporosis. And yes, I have followed the proper diet and taken the right supplements. Don't want to scare anyone, but apparently Im not all that unusual. I have mixed emotions as to whether I should have had this surgery. But I think I would have died if I hadn't. Its a puzzle. Anyone else out there who has suffered some of the severe post op problems like me????? How do you cope, manage, etc.??? Thanks.

I just wrote a reply on another thread about this. I was born in 1950. Had the RNY in 2003. I lost a lot of weight (too much, at one point-) but have had quite a few problems such as kidney stones and osteoporosis. And yes, I have followed the proper diet and taken the right supplements. Don't want to scare anyone, but apparently Im not all that unusual. I have mixed emotions as to whether I should have had this surgery. But I think I would have died if I hadn't. Its a puzzle. Anyone else out there who has suffered some of the severe post op problems like me????? How do you cope, manage, etc.??? Thanks.

I'm afraid that you're not the only one with second thoughts I personally have had all three surgeries started off with the lapband in 1999, the duodenal switch in 2003 and the bypass in 2009. Health wise my health is declining due to malabsorption of Vitamins and nutrients regardless of how much i adhere to the requirements and regular blood tests what i have personally come to know is that one should never have their intestines tampered with as it is there that we gain our absorption of nutrients and Vitamins for better health. I was perfectly healthy when i was fat i had no illnesses or comorbidity's other than the fact i was fat I only looked into surgery due to discrimination in the workplace.

Thanks for replying. My story is pretty bad. I began falling a few years back (probably due to a medication I used to take-) and because of the osteoporosis, I severely fractured my right femur.....basically changing my life in negative ways. I also have fractured a rib and needed neck surgery because of osteoporosis. I have had 4 kidney stones. The urologist told me to STOP the Calcium citrate, which I recently found out was the wrong thing to do. There's more but I wont go on and on, I hate to whine. But Im scared. My health is not what it should be. For instance, Im chronically anemic and recently Ive come to believe Im hypoparathyroid (low blood calcium). My hair and nails stopped growing! and I have cramps in my toes...classic signs. Good grief! Yes, Im happy not to be obese, but....feel I wasn't told strongly enough the true risks involved, nor was I even offered the option of a lap band. I realize that for the morbidly obese, an RNY is considered best but the patient should be told the big picture and allowed to choose. I dontknow - I may have opted for the RNY anyway.....I guess we all believe we're "immortal", huh?

Thanks for replying. My story is pretty bad. I began falling a few years back (probably due to a medication I used to take-) and because of the osteoporosis, I severely fractured my right femur.....basically changing my life in negative ways. I also have fractured a rib and needed neck surgery because of osteoporosis. I have had 4 kidney stones. The urologist told me to STOP the calcium citrate, which I recently found out was the wrong thing to do. There's more but I wont go on and on, I hate to whine. But Im scared. My health is not what it should be. For instance, Im chronically anemic and recently Ive come to believe Im hypoparathyroid (low blood calcium). My hair and nails stopped growing! and I have cramps in my toes...classic signs. Good grief! Yes, Im happy not to be obese, but....feel I wasn't told strongly enough the true risks involved, nor was I even offered the option of a lap band. I realize that for the morbidly obese, an RNY is considered best but the patient should be told the big picture and allowed to choose. I dontknow - I may have opted for the RNY anyway.....I guess we all believe we're "immortal", huh?

Savannalady, Trust me you are not whining if anything i'd like to hear more as it is hell to suffer in silence and not have any support, It is good to express yourself as by doing so it helps you and others work out whats wrong and in doing this you maybe able to correct some of the damage done by taking more Vitamins etc.

With your low Calcium you need to bring that up by taking the following

calcium citrate 500mg 3 times a day

Vitamin D3 5000 units a day

Magnesium chelate 500mg 3 times a day

and with the anemia apart from taking the Iron supps or transfusions add 2mg Copper daily (you can get this from the GNC store)

then get your bloods checked in three to six months to see if your levels have improved also get your thyroid checked too and your Vitamin B1, B12 and Zinc.

Edited by Miss M

Thanks. I am taking all those supplements now....did my own

research. As an RN I should have done thatyears ago but foolish me, I trusted the doctors.

What else can I tell you about "my story?"

One thing I should tell you is that the medication I stopped taking almost 18 monthes ago was Klonapin, a benzodiazepine (you may have heard of Valium or Xanax, same class of .... BAD drugs! The withdrawal was absolute hell, and lasted for monthes. Women who take this type of drug are much more prone to falls, fractures of the femur, and other bad things. You're only supposed to take them 2-5 weeks; I took them (prescribed-) for 30 years! Good grief! I took them to go to sleep....now I don't sleep hardly at all but at least Im not falling all the time. Its been a long haul. My leg hurts despite an implanted pain pump, but I keep busy in spite of it. Heavy exercise is out of the question but I walk.

I have thought that without the major surgery, I might be dead due to the weight.....morbidly obese people don't do well with the lap band.

Tell me more about yourself, please...? Im curious. I am an open book, Ill tell you anything you want to know. Its good to get back in touch with the bariatric community.

research. As an RN I should have done thatyears ago but foolish me, I trusted the doctors.

One thing I should tell you is that the medication I stopped taking almost 18 monthes ago was Klonapin, a benzodiazepine (you may have heard of Valium or Xanax, same class of .... BAD drugs! The withdrawal was absolute hell, and lasted for monthes. Women who take this type of drug are much more prone to falls, fractures of the femur, and other bad things. You're only supposed to take them 2-5 weeks; I took them (prescribed-) for 30 years! Good grief! I took them to go to sleep....now I don't sleep hardly at all but at least Im not falling all the time. Its been a long haul. My leg hurts despite an implanted pain pump, but I keep busy in spite of it. Heavy exercise is out of the question but I walk.

I have thought that without the major surgery, I might be dead due to the weight.....morbidly obese people don't do well with the lap band.

Tell me more about yourself, please...? Im curious. I am an open book, Ill tell you anything you want to know. Its good to get back in touch with the bariatric community.

where do i start, When i got my gallbladder out in 1990 my surgeon told me to avoid all fried foods and fat as i may gain weight but I didn't listen and through the years gained up to 120kgs at work all the staff were being cruel and picking on my weight which had me look into weight-loss surgery so i had my first lap-band in 1999 and after three surgeries due to the lap band prolapsing three times i asked my surgeon to refer me to another surgeon who does permanent weight-loss surgery so in 2003 I underwent the DS with that i had major problems with malnutrition and i ended up having gastroparesis with it due to the surgeon severing my vagus nerve, I also ended up having a bowl prolapse due to the constant loose stool and involuntary muscles wanting to evacuate what was not there. i was having Iron infusions every three months and having to take D3 injections and other injections of Vitamins intramuscular due to malabsorption. I also had a bowl strangulation and obstruction due to two abdominal hernias and then finally had to have the surgery revised to the rny due to bile reflux and also due to the sleeve of the ds stretching into an hourglass due to a stricture in the center and the food not passing through due to the gastroparesis. and now with the RNY i'm having more problems my eyesight isn't great my thyroid within the last two months has declined due to the fact my body does not absorb the iodine from food the bile reflux has not resolved nor has the gastroparesis of which i was assured would resolve due to having the RNY surgery. not to mention the brain fog and tiredness that i experience on a daily bases.

And here you were thinking that you were alone in your situation, I think that most people do not speak up when things go wrong because they don't want to be picked on and because their doctors make them feel like everything is either in their heads or that the problems that arise are their fault for not adhering to the guidelines etc.

Hey I'm just glad i found someone else who isn't afraid to speak up about their complications, I hope that you get better soon and get some sort of normal life back. (we just don't realize that weightloss surgery has it's own complications down the line and that it doesn't rear its ugly head till many years down the road especially with malabsoption and malnutrition due to intestinal bypass)

where do i start, When i got my gallbladder out in 1990 my surgeon told me to avoid all fried foods and fat as i may gain weight but I didn't listen and through the years gained up to 120kgs at work all the staff were being cruel and picking on my weight which had me look into weight-loss surgery so i had my first lap-band in 1999 and after three surgeries due to the lap band prolapsing three times i asked my surgeon to refer me to another surgeon who does permanent weight-loss surgery so in 2003 I underwent the DS with that i had major problems with malnutrition and i ended up having gastroparesis with it due to the surgeon severing my vagus nerve, I also ended up having a bowl prolapse due to the constant loose stool and involuntary muscles wanting to evacuate what was not there. i was having Iron infusions every three months and having to take D3 injections and other injections of Vitamins intramuscular due to malabsorption. I also had a bowl strangulation and obstruction due to two abdominal hernias and then finally had to have the surgery revised to the rny due to bile reflux and also due to the sleeve of the ds stretching into an hourglass due to a stricture in the center and the food not passing through due to the gastroparesis. and now with the RNY i'm having more problems my eyesight isn't great my thyroid within the last two months has declined due to the fact my body does not absorb the iodine from food the bile reflux has not resolved nor has the gastroparesis of which i was assured would resolve due to having the RNY surgery. not to mention the brain fog and tiredness that i experience on a daily bases.

And here you were thinking that you were alone in your situation, I think that most people do not speak up when things go wrong because they don't want to be picked on and because their doctors make them feel like everything is either in their heads or that the problems that arise are their fault for not adhering to the guidelines etc.

Hey I'm just glad i found someone else who isn't afraid to speak up about their complications, I hope that you get better soon and get some sort of normal life back. (we just don't realize that weightloss surgery has it's own complications down the line and that it doesn't rear its ugly head till many years down the road especially with malabsoption and malnutrition due to intestinal bypass)

Oh yes, I tried Melatonin and every single other OTC sleep med I could find. Nothing helped. Nothing. I am beginning to think I have permanent brain damage from taking Klonapin all those years.

Wow....your story is as bad as mine. Im so sorry. This cant have been easy for you to go through. Do you now have regrets? Are you maintaining a skinny body (probably you cant HELP doing that, like me-). How badly has all this affected your ability to be independent and take care of yourself???

I have had to fight hard to remain independent, but I am. For several years I had to rely on a friend for help, even driving. Now Im on my own.

Yesterday I resumed taking daily walks. I had to stop 1.5 monthes ago because of severe bursitis in my hip. Oh god, that hurt, and

literally prevented me from moving normally. I saw an Ortho doc, he diagnosed it, gave me a cortisone shot and two weeks later it started to get better. Im nervous about the walking....I worry it will make it flare up again. But I'm restless and need to keep moving or that leg stiffens up. If it weren't for my right leg, Id be a lot happier. That and being able to sleep.< /p>

What symptoms did you have that were caused by the low thyroid?

Im not sure I mentioned that I think Im hypoparathyroid (ie low calcium). Last night twice I got the most horrific cramps in the front of both legs, like wicked bad shin splints. I was reduced to tears. Cramps are a synmptom of low Calcium levels. I wonder, how long will it take for the calcium citrate to build up in my blood?

Even nurses don't know everything, lol.

Do I regret every having surgery......Yes I do very much but there is nothing that i can do now. I'm somewhat independent and like you try to get my exercise in daily.

the symptoms of low thyroid for me are brain fog, tiredness, weakness and weight gain i've gained 6kgs in just two months and am sitting at 70kgs right now which with your pounds conversion is 154 also my immune system is out of wack at the moment and i'm just getting over a 5 week old cold/flu in summer mind you.

Don't forget too that the cramps could also mean a deficiency in magnesium and potassium.

If i remember correctly you should notice a difference in three months unless of course the doctors decide to give you the Calcium intravenously in which case the results would be instant.

Right now, I don't really have a doctor watching over me about the GB. My PMD is a good guy but is no expert and I have to guide him. My surgeon retired (he got Alzheimers, I believe-) and no other surgeons here will see you if they didn't do

your surgery.

Yes, I know, the cramps could be from MG or potassium. I take Lasix, so potassium is a possible. I had major dental work 1.5 weeks ago and cant chew much of anything so eating bananas is out for now. I had 11 teeth pulled. Partials (temporary ones-) are extremely uncomfortable. I try to put them in, thewy don't seem to fit, and I sure cant chew anything. Ill go back to the dentist next week but Ive already been and was told "You're in an adjustment period" (!(%$@&%#!!!!!) The permanent ones wont be ready for 6 months. Lord have mercy, I have already spent $4500 on all this, and STILL cant chew!!!!! I hate getting old!

try cooking all your food till they're really soft then putting them into a blender and just eat it like baby food else within the six months time you will end up being malnourished, even the bananas can be blended up too. i know what you mean about the teeth thing i just got my new crown put in on Wednesday and it was very hard to eat with the temp one that they put in for three weeks. the thing that i find so funny about all of this is that we are spending more money than before to try and gain some of our health back. ( i honestly believe this thing about being fat and unhealthy is a farce and believe that society just wants a sick nation dependent on pharmaceuticals and surgeries)

Edited by Miss M

I agree with you. This country is obsessed with weight! All those super-skinny models and movie stars......Yes, too many people are unhealthily obese, but this weird obsession with being THIN is sick!

HUH! I spent the first year after surgery eating blender foods, a tablespoon at a time. And because my pouch never stretched, I STILL eat very soft foods, a tiny bit at a time. And having the bad teeth has made it even harder. I have been CRAVING steaks, chops...and the liklihood of my ever being able to eat them is nil. Now, to be positive......at least I was able to afford to get the teeth fixed. It was a one-time thing. Normally, I do not have that kind of money! And the gastric bypass? Well, I AM glad not to be obese anymore. I was miserable back then, uncomfortable, horribly self-co0nscious. And my health wasn't good. Not that it is now...! LOL! But in many ways, it IS better now. Im able to walk a bit, take care of my apartment and my two cats, I get around pretty well. I don't look my age, either!

can i ask you a question, with the bathroom issues do you experience any foul smelling odors? and do you also experience foul smelling gas? initially i never used to but since i've had to go back in to have more surgery due to bile reflux and since the surgeon moved and lowered my "y" limb further down 35cm i've been experiencing the dreaded foul smells. also masive Constipation issues too.

Well, uh, yes. I have terrible gas. Its embarrassing!!!! Sometimes

I cant control it, either. I assume it does have to do with the surgery. Oh, the price we pay!

Constipation - yes to that, too. But I have a pain pump, and figured that the tiny bit of a narcotic I get is causing it. In fact, before I got the pain pump, I had diarrhea! I was diagnosed with IBS. It resolved after I got the pump. But now I have constipation. I go about every 3-4 days. The one thing that helped me is taking a stool softener every day. And the generic (ie cheap) kind do not work for me. I have to buy a name brand, like Phillips.But its worth it.