Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new here and appreciate any support...I'm scared!

Very scared and feel so alone..I am a 47 yo female with type 1 diabetes since age of 15, i have COPD AND chronic back pain with arthritis.am a LPN but have not worked in past almost 4 years due to MANY issues with my diabetes effecting my ability to work. I was approved for social security disability June of 2013. I have NO ENERGY, TIRED ALL THE TIME AND ALWAYS IN PAIN. To top this all off i had ALL my teeth extracted the end of September due to 90% bone loss in my mouth. I have NO self esteem..

I am a LPN but have not worked in past almost 4 years due to MANY issues with my diabetes effecting my ability to work. I was approved for social security disability June of 2013. I have NO ENERGY, TIRED ALL THE TIME AND ALWAYS IN PAIN. -my dentures dont fit so i only go out of house mayvbe once a week. Yesterday i saw my dr due to my back pain is worse---he mentioned his concern of my weight effecting all aspects of my life and wants me to consider "gastric bypass surgery" --i am floored- i feel so lost, so alone and utterly disgusting. I am hoping someone here will be able to give me some advice or suggestions as this is ALL NEW TO ME- my main issue is -even though i am a type 1 diabetic i eat VERY LITTLE- i normally have a pot pie for lunch, a can of Soup for dinner and maybe a yogurt for night snack--that is it- so if the surgery is just to limit intake i dont feel it would benefit me-- i dont get hungry often and when i do i eat very small amounts. I do drink alot of sweetened ice tea- i appreciate you listening ansd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Hi Mag. My husband has been diabetic 35 years and just retired recently. One of the reasons I wanted him to have the sleeve is so I would not ever wake again at 3 am and find him unconscious, another Rescue ride. He has also dealt with back problems and back surgery, and high blood pressure and heart stent. I have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a knee replacement, and just retired after 47 years of working. It has been a hard road for us both.

I think you are suffering from depression as you have a lot of issues, and I hope you can find someone to talk to. That would help you tremendously.

Eating small meals, we sometimes do not realize that chicken pot pies (frozen), have so much carbs, fat and sodium and not so good for us. On Weight Watchers, I learned the Soups they recommended were loaded with sodium so I gained weight. There is so much to learn about these foods. Please try to switch to unsweetened iced tea! Better yet, Water.< /p>

I know you feel so bad about yourself from your post, and I have felt like that too, being overweight, barely able to walk after knee surgery, and being depressed. I have read many posts like yours. Make a decision how you can help yourself. There really is light at the end of the tunnel and I will pray that you find the answers and help you need. Linda

Can't help with specific advice on bypass -I am a sleever- but I can tell you you are not disgusting and you are not alone. We all have our own stories and many people have been where you are and come through.

You are worn down by pain, house bound, scared and lonely - that's why you feel like you do. Please remember, you are a worthwhile human being who deserves more and I am glad you are considering WLS because one way to get back your sense of self-worth is to lose weight, everything else will start to fall into the place on the back of that.

You also sound defeated before you start - but I get why. All I would ask is that you keep an open mind about surgery. Yes, it is about limiting intake but it's also about helping us to understand what we need to eat make our bodies work healthily. Whilst amount is important, quality is everything. It is also a great tool that supports us in a way that no diet ever did. I could lose weight before but just couldn't keep it off. But now I truly believe I can because of my sleeve -and that feels amazing, I am not doing this alone.

I can hear the fear and the upset you feel about where you find yourself today. But the darkest time is just before light dawns. Take your courage in your hands and starting researching WLS options and what might best suit you. Because, in doing so, you might just save yourself from a life of more of the same misery. It will also help with your ill health - can you imagine life without pain, diabetes? Surgery could help with all of that.

It's not easy. But it would give you your life back. More control over how you live. Give you choices about going out or staying in. Having friends and a social life. Being yourself. Having fun. Not a decision to be taken lightly but one worth considering but only you can make it.

Keep talking on the site. We are all here and you have something important to say. So we will be listening... Just don't give up on yourself, there's still hope and much you can do to transform your life is a way you would say isn't possible. But I promise you it is....

Hi ! Mag

I know how you are feeling, I have type 2 Diabeties I was taking 50 units of Lantis, 12 units of Humalog before each meal, and a sliding scale between, 10 units of Byetta 2x day. Before my slee ve on July 29··13 my weight was 266, on day of surgery I weighed 242, I weigh 195.6 at 6 months. I suffered with Depression also I take 20 mg

Prozac and it really has helped me. I am taking 15 units of Lantis, 1-2 units of Humalog . You are not disgusting you are a beautiful person. I have severe back pain and in pain 24 -7 . Since my sleeve I feel so much better than I did . For me this was the Best thing I have ever done for myself. It's a tool that helps us we have to make good choices on our food we eat. Wish you the best and will be praying for you I m here if you need me

I could not really add anything better than what the girls have said above other than it won't hurt to talk to a bariatric surgeon, find out what operation will suit you.

The only other thing I would say is that a lot of us here that have other conditions or co-morbidities of varying severities. A lot of us know what it's like to bare the hopelessness of being hit with several conditions all at once. Tackling the weight, getting it to a level where you will be much healthier to cope with and withstand your other conditions.

I just wanted to send you a hug.

You are not alone.

Xx

I had many medical issues due to my obesity also, including cardiac issues (MI w/Stent), type 2 diabetes, High BP, Cholesterol, circulatory issues, chronic skin issues including infections - cellulitis,and others, ...all kinds of issues, too many to list right now...I have a morbid family history with the loss of both of my siblings at an early age with obesity at the root...

My Dr. sat me down and said I did not have much longer on this earth, as I was following in my Brother and sisters footsteps...and the chips were already starting to fall...

He even asked me, friend to friend if I had made preparations and will y family be Ok with me gone...

Unless I loose weight....problem was, with all the diets I have tried over the last 35 years, I have failed at every one of them...I have no self discipline or motivation to stick with any type of program where it is left to me to manage...

So as a LAST RESORT...he suggested Surgery...surgery to alter my digestive system making it unable for me to overeat, and taking away my hunger and cravings...

And that is exactly what it did...and in return, it has reversed my Diabetes, ALL my lab work has been right down the middle perfect for the last 2 years...with NO MEDICATIONS, other than the Heart meds which I'm stuck with for life....

I feel 20-30 years younger, go to the gym every day....at 62 years old I play on a softball team - shortstop...and I am 6-7 years older than the next guy...

THIS SURGERY DOES WORK if you believe it can, and go for it and not back down....least that's my take on it...after all, what was my alternative? I had no choice but to give it 110%, and then some.

Sure, I had all the pre-op jitters, etc...but it turned out to be the absolute best thing I could have ever done...only regret is that I did not do it sooner....then I would not have wasted all that time and money on all those diets.

<p>I had many medical issues due to my obesity also, including cardiac issues (MI w/Stent), type 2 diabetes, High BP, Cholesterol, circulatory issues, chronic skin issues including infections - cellulitis,and others, ...all kinds of issues, too many to list right now...I have a morbid family history with the loss of both of my siblings at an early age with obesity at the root...</p> <p> </p> <p>My Dr. sat me down and said I did not have much longer on this earth, as I was following in my Brother and sisters footsteps...and the chips were already starting to fall...</p> <p>He even asked me, friend to friend if I had made preparations and will y family be Ok with me gone...</p> <p> </p> <p>Unless I loose weight....problem was, with all the diets I have tried over the last 35 years, I have failed at every one of them...I have no self discipline or motivation to stick with any type of program where it is left to me to manage...</p> <p> </p> <p>So as a LAST RESORT...he suggested Surgery...surgery to alter my digestive system making it unable for me to overeat, and taking away my hunger and cravings...</p> <p>And that is exactly what it did...and in return, it has reversed my Diabetes, ALL my lab work has been right down the middle perfect for the last 2 years...with NO MEDICATIONS, other than the Heart meds which I'm stuck with for life....</p> <p> </p> <p>I feel 20-30 years younger, go to the gym every day....at 62 years old I play on a softball team - shortstop...and I am 6-7 years older than the next guy...</p> <p> </p> <p>THIS SURGERY DOES WORK if you believe it can, and go for it and not back down....least that's my take on it...after all, what was my alternative? I had no choice but to give it 110%, and then some.</p> <p> </p> <p>Sure, I had all the pre-op jitters, etc...but it turned out to be the absolute best thing I could have ever done...only regret is that I did not do it sooner....then I would not have wasted all that time and money on all those diets.</p>