Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs RNY Bypass

Hey yall im a newbie. I just started my 6 month plan surgery hopefully in July. Im up in the air between the two. Im a ICU Nurse I see the worst of situations of course the day I decide I get a patient that had leakage patient eventually went home 3 weeks later. I weigh 380 lbs im tall so no one thinks so. Im leaning toward RNY after hours turns to days turn to weeks of research lol. What do yall think?

post-191083-0-62914300-1390168135_thumb.png

SIS-COOM-BA...SIS COOM-BA....BYPASS BYPASS...RAH RAH RAH!!!!....no only kidding, which one fits your life style the best. Which one is do-able for you. Which one is most likely to make you succeed. Gotta chose what right for you, not pickin' a hairstyle here...lol..good luck let us know what cha picked :P

Hey yall im a newbie. I just started my 6 month plan surgery hopefully in July. Im up in the air between the two. Im a ICU Nurse I see the worst of situations of course the day I decide I get a patient that had leakage patient eventually went home 3 weeks later. I weigh 380 lbs im tall so no one thinks so. Im leaning toward RNY after hours turns to days turn to weeks of research lol. What do yall think?

I did lap band first. Here's the deal, we would not all be big if we could follow a diet right? Lap band is only a tool, nothing more. Once you have decided its not for you, the reversal surgery is ugly, then the bypass is much more difficult. . Plz take my advice, lap band is not a good diet surgery. My doc even stopped doing them. Good luck!

You can hear a lot about both on this site and the lap-band site. But, ask your surgeon about the actual lifestyle each surgery will mean. There are some that will swear by the lap band, and some by RNY. The only thing I can add is that I had issues with my band from 5 years ago, and am currently awaiting the removal and revision to RNY. Wish I had done it first. I was sure I could do it with the band, but it is not just you and the band, sometimes there are things that go wrong with the band and it's maintenance. My surgeon told me they have seen quite a few removals of the band.

That being said, please talk to your surgeon about the option differences for you and your lifestyle. And, congrats on making the decision to take control of your life! Good luck.

Both surgeries can have life altering changes to your life. All I can say is research and research some more. I started out dead set I was getting the band. After

I met my surgeon I knew I would cheat the band and it wouldn't work for me due to my own food addictions and emotional eating. I knew I needed to dump for my own accountability. Rny has been the best thing I've ever chose to do for myself. I am sure the band would have been good if I did not have the other issues. I just knew after talking to my surgeon I would probably fall into bad habits where I would slurp milkshakes on bad days. Rny may or may not be for you but I can only tell you my experience. Some people have

Wonderful results

With the band as

Do others with the sleeve as well. A reputable surgeon from a center of excellence can definitely

Come in handy as you make your choice. Good luck and hope no matter what you decide that you have wonderful success!!!

I had the band 2 1/2 yrs ago and lost 100lbs the first year. It worked well for me. Got a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time. Then I stupidly ate some popcorn which got stuck and I had to have most Fluid from the band removed. I got fills after to get back where I was but the hiatal hernia came back and I felt terrible. Started eating lotsa slider foods including chocolate. Gained back 50lbs. Had surgery to fix hernia again almost exactly 2 yrs after banding and surgeon wouldn't do it unless he removed the band at same time. We discussed what to do next and I knew I needed a tool to help me lose wt. I was thinking sleeve because bypass scared me. After talking through what had happened all the slider and chocolate I had eaten etc. the doc recommended RNY because I wouldn't be able to cheat. I'm 4 wks post op RNY doing well and feel good about my choice.

Think about your triggers and do research on the procedures. The band can work for you and do can bypass. Good luck!

All bariatric surgeries have their success stories. And all can be defeated. Some surgeries are recommended by surgeons over others based on your medical history and comorbidities. If that is not a factor in your case, you surgeon may leave the decision up to you. But if asked directly, most surgeons will make a recommendation for one surgery over another. And as others have suggested, nothing will build your confidence like your own research and you're in the perfect place to benefit from the experiences of so many great folks. Welcome to the forum!

You're gonna love the new you!!

All bariatric surgeries have their success stories. And all can be defeated. Some surgeries are recommended by surgeons over others based on your medical history and comorbidities. If that is not a factor in your case, you surgeon may leave the decision up to you. But if asked directly, most surgeons will make a recommendation for one surgery over another. And as others have suggested, nothing will build your confidence like your own research and you're in the perfect place to benefit from the experiences of so many great folks. Welcome to the forum! You're gonna love the new you!!

My dr said it best. Bariatric surgery used to be like ordering from a menu. How ever now it's more catered to ur personal health care needs. I personally didn't wanna band cause I have read that most people (not all) still ended up with the RNY. So I wanted to skip the middle man, cause if there's a complication, I will end up with it. So that said, take the advice of so many and really research and see what is more for u. I have been blessed to find the info here on this site that I wanted to know.

Just rember what a very wise man once told me, there are sites like the mayo clinic, web md, and several other reputable sites with real honest info. You really need to spend an evening and read what each of those have to say, then base your decision, talk to your surgeon, and then you will go in educated and ready to make a decision with your dr. This "wise man" told me to do this and it was the best advice ever! I went in already knowing what I wanted and why. My dr and I discussed my health concerns, and what he wanted, and why. Turned out we were on the same page!

Good luck with our life changing journey! We look forward to followin you!

If I could do it all over again I would have done RNY from the start. I had way to many issues with my band and port. I didn't have the education to make a good choice. Make an educated choice as to what is going to suit you. Good Luck keep us updated.

My decision to go with RNY was based on a few things.

Number one was it had the highest long term success rate when compared to other weight loss surgeries.

Number two was the high volume of people who had band-to-bypass conversions. I found so many while doing my research.

Number three was the many years the procedure has been around, combined with the experience of my surgeon and the very low complication risk because of that experience.

That being said, my decision was made based on my wants, needs and preferences. Everyone needs to make their own choice. We are all unique. No one knows you like you.