Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushrooms don't work for me.....

Yesterday I got stuck -- again! Second time was last week so this makes three. Good grief. Anyway, I realized today that it wasn't the chicken thigh -- it was the mushrooms. There is no amount of chewing that can make a rubbery mushroom small enough for me to swallow comfortably. Thought I'd share my little brainstorm for other new people who may be going through the same learning process. And if I want mushrooms I will whir them up with the stick blender next time or enjoy them raw. But in the stews, etc. that I make: no more shrooms!

It's a snowy Saturday and I've got a beef stew going. Here's how I make it: get a nice-looking piece of pot roast with plenty of marbling. Heat up the Le Creuset (Dutch oven) on top of the stove -- good and hot. A thin layer of high-heat cooking oil. Brown all sides of the roast, using tongs to rotate. Add in lots of minced garlic, fresh Thyme (or dried is fine), salt and pepper. We also put a pinch of chili in everything we cook. Pour stock over the whole thing. Cut up potatoes (thin) and carrots and add those to the liquid -- maneuver so the meat is on top. Let it all simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is falling apart. Remove the meat and veggies, pour the liquid into a jar and put it in the freezer to let the fat come to the top. Remove the fat. Meanwhile the meat has cooled enough to be cut or torn into small pieces. Put meat and veggies back into the Dutch oven with the broth minus the fat. It will thicken up if you keep simmering. Voila.

I find this style of cooking very band-friendly.

Happy weekend, every one!

Edited by Bandista

That sounds really good. I can relate to keeping my meat soft. My crock pot is my new best friend.

I hope that doesn't happen to me!! I love mushrooms!!! But I've noticed that some people have food issues that others don't! I haven't yet hit "the green" yet, so I'm not sure what foods bother me and what don't! Along with soda, I've completely cut out breads all together!!!

I went through an odd couple years, where I couldn't tolerate cooked mushrooms but somehow raw ones were really REALLY tasty to me.

That phase passed eventually and the last few years I have been able to enjoy cooked mushrooms once again.

Granted, there must be *some* kind of difference between rubbery/chewy/slippery/slimy and styrofoam/cardboard/ consistency.

Generally I have a chanterelle omlette nearly every week, and once a month or so, the famed 'Portabella' treat in the microwave....chopped up stem into small pieces, a bit of some kind of grated cheese, about a minute on 'stun'.....

ah yes.....while that preOp was only the appetizer, most often now that is most of the entire entree....

Edited by Jack

Ah, bbq'd mushrooms are my favorite, but I can't eat them because they get stuck (wah wa wah) the other devistation is eggs. The only way I liked eggs was scrambled and omelettes and can't eat them either way since being banded.

Ah, bbq'd mushrooms are my favorite, but I can't eat them because they get stuck (wah wa wah) the other devistation is eggs. The only way I liked eggs was scrambled and omelettes and can't eat them either way since being banded.

I a couple years postOp I was able to retunr to enjoying those, but it was bleak for a while.

Generally a week treat I have is a 2 egg omlette with a cup of chanterlles and 2 pieces of Daves Killer 23 grain toast.

Shared between 2 people, with me getting the smaller 1/2.

PreOp that was just a snack while I was waiting for my actually meal.

I rejoyce in my Band daily.

Love the tip of putting the liquid into the freezer and then removing the layer of fat. Definitely going to remember the tip. Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches