Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting nervous due to all the comments I am hearing

Getting sleeved Feb 3th, I am starting to hear everyone and all I hear is dont do that your not that fat, your not gonna qualify, just put some time in at the gym, people die from this surgery. I hear all these comments, I understand that I am 260 pounds and 5'11 but I have other medical issued ( high b/p., back issues) that made me make this descion. I am also starting to get nervous due to being put to sleep. Just needed to vent a little Like i said starting to get nervous.

CHEER UP.... it will be fine...its your decision and it will help you to be fit and healthy.

only see that you follow your doctor's instructions....specially about the diet.

all the best...my surgery is on 24th jan.

Getting sleeved Feb 3th, I am starting to hear everyone and all I hear is dont do that your not that fat, your not gonna qualify, just put some time in at the gym, people die from this surgery. I hear all these comments, I understand that I am 260 pounds and 5'11 but I have other medical issued ( high b/p., back issues) that made me make this descion. I am also starting to get nervous due to being put to sleep. Just needed to vent a little Like i said starting to get nervous.

Perfectly normal to hear all those things and feel what you're feeling.

"...dont do that your not that fat"

What does the guy staring back at you in the mirror say? He's the one you have to make happy and answer to each morning.

"...your not gonna qualify"

The person that said this knows this how?

"...just put some time in at the gym"

If it were that simple doctors wouldn't be doing this surgery. One of the first questions I was asked by my surgeon was if I had tried to lose weight before and how did I go about it. Going to the gym was one of my answers, and I did lose weight, only to put it all back on and more.

"people die from this surgery"

Unfortunately, this is truth. There are stories of this on Bariatric Pal. i was aware that people died from the surgery when i went on the table. It was worth it for me.

"but I have other medical issued ( high b/p., back issues) that made me make this descion."

Me too. High blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, couldn't sleep flat on a bed for > 10 years. I can go on.

"I am also starting to get nervous due to being put to sleep. "

Have you never been put under before?

All worrying does is waste your time and energy. Most people have have had this surgery. It hasn't been easy for all of them but I'm sure most would agree it was worth it.

I went through the same thing. And I'm close to the same size as you. If I told people they were shocked i was having "wieght loss surgery". Even some of the pre-op appointments for labs some of the staff was saying that to me. So on my last pre-op appointment before my surgery I told my Dr what I had been hearing. His response made me feel better. He went through the medical research with me that shows that the surgery was definately indicated for my BMI as well as BMI's that are lower than mine. He then made a comment that took it home for me. He said, the reason why people are telling you don't look big enough is because currently a large population of our society is bigger so it doesn't seem abnormal and when people think of people that need wieght loss surgery they are thinking of very large people.

But all in all you have to decide it's the right choice for yourself. No one should tell you what you need to do.

I had my sleeve Jan 7th. And do not regret it at all.

I am 5'10" and started at 365. I my mind I was big but not huge. It is amazing what we can convince ourselves to believe. You will do great, you will be at your goal weight super fast! Get excited! The prospect of looking good and feeling great should carry you through the second thoughts and nervousness. The smaller you are the easier the surgery and recovery will be. My recovery has been a piece of cake. I think all of us that have trouble with our weight just want to get off the roller coaster and maintain. the sleeve will do that for you if you let it.

Buckfever --

I was in exactly the same boat -- about 260 and 5'11". I struggled over making the decision on everything from the medical stuff all the way to the social impacts. Ultimately, I convinced myself of three things, 1) that I didn't wan't to live the rest of my life carrying around all the extra weight, 2) that I couldn't reliably lose it on my own, and 3) that relative to doing nothing the surgery was safe. I was sleeved on November 25th and now I'm down to 216 and it feels amazing. Everything feels better -- clothing, sleeping, sitting, walking, breathing, on and on. I haven't felt this good since I was 25.

My surgery and recovery were basically a breeze -- two days of feeling like shit and then a very rapid recovery. I took a week off work (office job) and that was plenty. I don't eat a whole lot and that feels fine (in my new world). The social stuff (which had me freeked out) is actually simple. In group settings, no one notices. For sitdown meals, I go to a restaurant and order something small and easy to eat and enjoy it. It's actually quite liberating not obsessing about food all the time.

Clearly a very personal decision, but as a guy who was worried about many of the same things as you (in a similar lower BMI situation), my only regret is not having done this sooner....good luck.

That is why I told NO ONE except the immediately family in my home and my mom and sister. And I waited until one week pre op to tell my mom and sister.

I too was nervous about the anesthesia, but after discussing it with my surgeon, my PCP, and doing all of the pre-op testing along with getting myself in the best cardiovascular health possible I went in that operating room and slid onto that operating table with confidence. My point is do what you are suppose to do and leave the doubting and second guessing alone that mess will drive you crazy. Make the decision for yourself and trust your medical team! I wish nothing less than the best for you.

Hay people die in the shower, walking across the street and every other thing we do each day someone has died doing the same things. Life is much better and way more fun with less weight so do what you think is best and do what you need to do to enjoy life.

All great comments, I apperciate it. Started today my 14 day, 800 calorie diet. I believe this is going to be the hardest part. I have another question, If everything goes right, I am supposed to have my surgery at 7 am, can I expect to be on my way home by 4pm the next day?

All great comments, I apperciate it. Started today my 14 day, 800 calorie diet. I believe this is going to be the hardest part. I have another question, If everything goes right, I am supposed to have my surgery at 7 am, can I expect to be on my way home by 4pm the next day?

I had surgery on a Tuesday at 11am and was leaving the hospital the next day around the same time so it's possible. You'll want to ask your surgeon to be sure as he probably has his own criteria for releasing you.

For me, my doc wanted to see me drinking liquids. He didn't tell me that until 6 pm the next day. I hadn't had any because I wasn't thirsty (all those liquids they pump in you plus ice cold Water was hard to drink) so I had to stay one more night. Woke up the next day, had 32 ounces by noon and was on my way home.

I had surgery at 7:30 a.m. and was ready by 4 the next day. my Dr. Wants his patients to have bowel movement before they leave. That is difficult after the colon cleanse before surgery and only liquids once there, so I was introduced to THE SUPPOSITORY. Not bad really, I would have done worse to get out of the hospital.

LOL.

Anyway, someone posted they had 32 pz of Water by noon, wow! I was told I had to sip water 1/2 oz every 15 minutes for 2 days.

I had surgery at 7:30 a.m. and was ready by 4 the next day. my Dr. Wants his patients to have bowel movement before they leave. That is difficult after the colon cleanse before surgery and only liquids once there, so I was introduced to THE SUPPOSITORY. Not bad really, I would have done worse to get out of the hospital.

LOL.

Anyway, someone posted they had 32 pz of Water by noon, wow! I was told I had to sip water 1/2 oz every 15 minutes for 2 days.

<p>Getting sleeved Feb 3th, I am starting to hear everyone and all I hear is dont do that your not that fat, your not gonna qualify, just put some time in at the gym, people die from this surgery. I hear all these comments, I understand that I am 260 pounds and 5'11 but I have other medical issued ( high b/p., back issues) that made me make this descion. I am also starting to get nervous due to being put to sleep. Just needed to vent a little Like i said starting to get nervous.</p>

I hear

The same thing . Ism scared n nervous too . Worried about clots n complication.