Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long to worry about leaks?

OK so I am hypochondriac. So I researched everything before I had this surgery. But I still research now and that's a bad idea for me. I came across a post on Google that said that we have to worry about leaks forever! Is this accurate? And what are the biggest symptoms of a leak? I ask because I know dizziness is one of then but for the past 3 years I've been dizzy every day all day. Doctors never found out was wrong with me so I decided to have surgery to get healthier in general. I'm a ball of nerves

Leaks seem to be one of "those" topics, where every doc/program says something slightly different, so I'll share what I've heard. It seems like the first 3 or 4 weeks are crucial, then at 6 months it's relatively safe to assume if you haven't had a leak, you won't be getting one. I hope others will chime in with what their surgeons have told them as well since I have heard/read very little about this. Some people on this site have gone through hell, having multiple leaks, etc, so there definitely are more extreme cases than a simple statement like "if you get past X months, you should be fine," but it all seems to be very unpredictable.

Yes, in the early weeks, there is a danger of a leak post surgery and very rarely, slightly further out. But beyond that, never heard that we are at risk forever. I would treat that with a large pinch of salt...

I think you are worrying yourself unnecessarily and maybe need to stay away from "research" for a little while? Sorry that docs can't get to the root of your dizziness, that must be pretty tough feeling like that 24/7.

How far out are you and how are you doing with your sleeve?

I'm 3 weeks out. I'm doing pretty good. Not handling pureed foods very well because they sit heavy in my stomach but I do great on full liquids and with Water.< /p>

Sounds like you are doing really well :-)

Puréed foods will get easier, still early days, and then you will be on to soft foods, then normal eating before you know it!

Keep doing what you're doing, just ease up on the googling, lol...

Funny (not really) but I did the same thing. I was more worried about it after I had the sleeve done than before. I worried for the first 6 weeks, then I let go of it. My doc said that first 2 weeks are the most critical, and by 6 weeks things are pretty much healed. And while you can believe what I'm saying, you can't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. It's also crazy how our minds work. I read the symptoms and then my mind makes me believe I feel those things even though I don't.

This was one of my fears also, still is. I asked my surgeon before I went in for surgery how far out can you get a leak after? She said it could happen up to 6 weeks out. I would agree also that by 6 months you are safe, I study martial arts and want to be sure its safe to throw some kicks and do some sparring without worrying about the belly.

I've edited the title of your topic so that people can find it if they have the same question as you and do a search. I hope that's ok!

My doctor told me 2 weeks after I shouldn't worry. I've read different on here. I'm 3 weeks out still worry a little about a leak.

I've edited the title of your topic so that people can find it if they have the same question as you and do a search. I hope that's ok!

Thank you:)

My surgeon told me that at 6 weeks everything is pretty much healed and scar tissue has already formed around the staple line, but that leaks are still possible up to a year out if we overfill ourselves too often which pushes against the staples. BUT she did tell me that we will definitely know if we had a leak because we would be very, very sick and probably calling her in a panic or heading straight to the ER. If you otherwise feel fine other than your dizziness (maybe vertigo?? or too many bp meds if you are on them or the wrong kind), then I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Also, I feel you because I am a fellow hypochondriac. Even though I logically know I am fine, the internet can make it seem like we have all sorts of fatal stuff going on! A good phrase to remember when dealing with your health: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras! The most simple answer is usually the correct one.

I hope you can start to feel less anxious about this topic soon!