Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my first fill! Now What?

Oh no! You and I seem to be so simliar...in our starting weights, weight lost, surgery date, and end goal. I keep worrying that I have something wrong because I feel tenderness, bumps, not sure what is the port, band or hernia repair. I just ate a can of cream of chix Soup, yes the whole can. I am not full, I had no trouble getting it down. This is after a 5cc fill today? Can that be possible? I'm nervous that these large portions are going to cause damage.

Band teacher and lapbandchic: You two should go back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts. All your questions will be answered.

tmf

tmf,

I read the two pages of this thread, started by lapbandchic, before I posted my question. I don't see any answer to my question of whether or not it is possible for the port to be missed entirely during a fill. Can you point me in the right direction to that answer on this thread? Thank you.

Hi band teacher - the two times that I've gotten a fill (surgery 10/23, 1st fill 12/2 & 2nd fill 1/6 - my next 1 is 2/3) (hey today is my 3rd month bandaverisary) my doctor laid me down and asked me to do a sit-up crunch - I was fully paying attention to my gut - he stuck the needle in and sure enough I could feel him hit the plastic b/c it stopped the needle from going in any further, he then sucked out the Fluid (the first time there wasn't much at all) - 2nd time sucked out the initial 4 cc's and then injected back in the 4 cc's plus another 2. So I do feel confident that there is Fluid in there and he's hitting my port - so my advice and opinion (take what you'd like :)) at your next fill appointment ask your doc to suck out every bit that's in there 1st - that way you KNOW he's in your port and he's got a precise measurement of your fluids - only then can you really be sure. Also, be present with him as he has the needle in you - sometimes it's easier to close our eyes and cringe - but I think it's important to ask questions during the procedure - it's your right - and tell him to slow down and talk to you to reassure you and allow you to be present and cognizant.

Now, with that said - my restriction at 6 cc's is not very satisfying and honestly it really feels like I am on just another diet - the Atkins diet (by direction of my doc) - now I'm using the Lose It app and only allowing myself 1200 calories trying hard to keep to high Protein low carb low fat no sugar foods. Right now - given all that I've read, this early in the stage of being banded - we're on another diet and it sounds like it will take 6 full months (if we're lucky) to get to where the band is working for us and really limiting what and how much we eat.

My weight loss is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I am eating WAY less than I have eaten over the past 4 years - like probably by 3/4 less and it's the slowest possible weight loss EVER!!! But I look at the gigantic slash in my belly and know that I'm committed and with that I am NOT going to put ANY kind of bad food in my mouth, unless I want the scale to go up - and that ain't happening on my watch! I did well until I hit Christmas and although I behaved myself mostly I still ate more calories than 1200 causing my weight loss to stall - now since I got home from a weekend get-away with hubby to New Orleans (oh how the food there is SO delicious!!!) and I had my 2nd fill (the day after I got back) I've been very good but still am only down a couple of pounds.

So - I'm committed to doing the right things like eating good wholesome foods up to 1200 calories (I really like the Lose It app), trying to eat as slow as I can (this is the hardest thing for me), NOT drinking while I eat and waiting at least 30 minutes - I just learned (finally) that right now b/c I'm not fully restricted all drinking while eating is doing is helping the food get thru the band - and you really want that food to trickle into your stomach - otherwise I am more likely to over eat, going to the gym 3-4 times a week (right now I'm doing the elliptical 30-45 minutes - no weights yet) and holding out that this surgery I chose to do 3 months ago kicks into gear and that it IS life long from this point forward...

It's ALL up in our heads at this point and doing these good deeds will make us successful - I believe - and I hope that this helps - and again - this is all my OPINION - I'm not being uppity - I just have to be a little hard on myself to abide by the rules and not cheat - b/c if I do limit myself to 1200 calories a day, especially of the good things - I WILL lose weight.

And thank GOD for sugar free chocolate pudding and a baby spoon b/c that seals off my day and I don't eat ANYTHING past that event - My chocolate pudding Desert EVENT - every evening. (I HATE that it is processed food btw - something I've had to overcome)

God bless! (I DO pray that this helps someone - if not, well it helped me b/c now I feel empowered to stay with this mental position) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh TTYL

"These past two weeks on solid foods, I've been eating just about everything, and far too big of portions, and gained a pound back. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to my first fill and getting restriction to get back on the losing track. I went today, and they put in 5cc, but honestly, I am wondering if they missed my port completely?? I even called back to ask."

tmf,

I was referring to the words in the post above. What you're feeling is normal and happens to most all bandsters. You won't feel any restriction/satiety till your band is adjusted properly. That may be 1 fill or 10 fills(avg is maybe 3). I felt nothing the first 2 fills. My 3rd fill started my journey and my 6th fill got me to the green zone. I lost 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing the next 3.5 months.

Until you get the fill that gives you restriction/satiety, this will be just another diet. I know and realize that no one told you about this phase as I don't recall hearing it either, but, this is the way it is for most of us. Keep reading and you'll see "Help" posts like yours and similar threads to this topic every single day. I know I posted my disappointment and frustration 2 years ago so you're not alone.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

Now, with that said - my restriction at 6 cc's is not very satisfying and honestly it really feels like I am on just another diet - the Atkins diet (by direction of my doc) - now I'm using the Lose It app and only allowing myself 1200 calories trying hard to keep to high Protein low carb low fat no sugar foods. Right now - given all that I've read, this early in the stage of being banded - we're on another diet and it sounds like it will take 6 full months (if we're lucky) to get to where the band is working for us and really limiting what and how much we eat.

My weight loss is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I agree with your doctor but disagree with your assessment that your weight loss is slow? 23 lbs in less than 3 months and traveling through the Holidays is quite remarkable. You're a low BMI patient and we tend to lose much less in the beginning but you're close to 8 lbs a month with is something to shout about. 6 months from now you'll look back and wish it were still as it is now. It will be easier once your band is adjusted properly but losing 2 lbs every week may be a challenge as your journey progresses.

tmf

I agree with your doctor but disagree with your assessment that your weight loss is slow? 23 lbs in less than 3 months and traveling through the Holidays is quite remarkable. You're a low BMI patient and we tend to lose much less in the beginning but you're close to 8 lbs a month with is something to shout about. 6 months from now you'll look back and wish it were still as it is now. It will be easier once your band is adjusted properly but losing 2 lbs every week may be a challenge as your journey progresses.

My weight loss is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

tmf

Why thank you TMF - I know it IS something to be proud of and it is good weight loss - but it seems like it is NOT equivalent to the level of sacrificing - but if that were the case I'd be 50lbs down :) plus you do hear these people who are loosing 100 lbs in a year and that's about 2 lbs a week... but I hear you as far as 6 months from now it being even harder - but if I'm down 60lbs and have 20 more to loose it will at least feel better than it does now when I look in the mirror.

all in all - it's a journey I'm happy to be on and LOVE the community here to be able to spew at the mouth on ideas - keeps me in check. - so thank you again TMF for chiming in - always a pleasure. :) cheers

Just you wait that 5cc fill will kick in and if you don't slow down you may get yourself in trouble. Take time to listen to your body and stop doubting that your doctor isn't putting Fluid in where it is supposed to be. I am sure that he has done surgery on more then one patient . You will feel the difference. Fills can take up to two weeks so be careful you may eat more then you bargained for and end up being stuck really bad.

This is my first post. I had my surgery on 12/11/13. I lost 14 lbs in the first two weeks. These past two weeks on solid foods, I've been eating just about everything, and far too big of portions, and gained a pound back. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to my first fill and getting restriction to get back on the losing track. I went today, and they put in 5cc, but honestly, I am wondering if they missed my port completely?? I even called back to ask. She assured me that she got it, because she took air out when she first put in the needle. I just noticed that the spot where the bandaid was, is about 3 inches lower than where I think I feel my port. She did say that is common because it shifts from laying down to standing. We did the "Water gulping" method, but I don't know if I really felt anything, or felt it go away. To me it was a whole lot of "guesswork". About 30 mins after she filled me, I went downstairs to the cafe and had Tomato bisque. Easily ate nearly a cup of Soup (8oz) and could've kept going. I don't feel any different than I did over the last two weeks. Is this normal? Could it be possible that they did miss the port? Just you wait that 5cc fill will kick in and if you don't slow down you may get yourself in trouble. Take time to listen to your body and stop doubting that your doctor isn't putting Fluid in where it is supposed to be. I am sure that he has done surgery on more then one patient . You will feel the difference. Fills can take up to two weeks so be careful you may eat more then you bargained for and end up being stuck really bad.

Edited by cheryl2586

Thanks everyone. I'm trying today to really take it easy. Was on 24 hours of liquid (till 1:30 p.m.). I had a Protein shake (6 oz) at 7:30 a.m., a 5 oz Greek Yogurt at 11:00 a.m., Wendy's Chili (probably 8 oz) chewed till nothing at 1:30 p.m. and 5oz of tuna pureed with mayo at 4:30. Everything went down fine, nothing got stuck, feeling fine. Not full, but not starving. Hoping I'm not hungry tonight and if so, will drink liquid.< /p>

I have not seen my actual surgeon since 8:00 a.m. on the day of my surgery. She is wonderful, but I would like to see her again. I have only seent he physician's asst. That is also who did my fill yesterday. I just find it weird that she asked me where my port was...'Umm, I think this is it??" Then said "it seems higher than we normally put them", then put the needle in, had me sit up and gulp Water, and I never felt anything with any gulp. Nothing. I have friends who have said they had to spit the Water out. Then when I noticed the bandaid for the needle insertion was placed 3 inches below where I feel my port, it made me wonder if missing the port can happen?

I even called back to question that and she assured me she wouldn't have gotten air out if she had missed the port. I wish I knew what the different parts of my new anatomy are. I feel a lot of tenderness/pain/lumps at the belly button (this is where they went in lapracopically, so I assume that is what that is from). Write under my ribcage, to the left is where I think my port is. Very hard bulge there, the best way I can describe it is when you are 9 months pregnant and the babies foot is pressing against you. That's exactly what it reminds me of. So is that the port, is that the band? Is the tenderness I feel from that or the hiatal hernia (no clue where that is).

I'm sure in time, I'll be able to ask my surgeon (I'm requesting to see her for the next fill) and find out what all of these new parts of me are. Then I'll have a better understanding of what is normal and what is not.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying today to really take it easy. Was on 24 hours of liquid (till 1:30 p.m.). I had a Protein shake (6 oz) at 7:30 a.m., a 5 oz Greek Yogurt at 11:00 a.m., Wendy's Chili (probably 8 oz) chewed till nothing at 1:30 p.m. and 5oz of tuna pureed with mayo at 4:30. Everything went down fine, nothing got stuck, feeling fine. Not full, but not starving. Hoping I'm not hungry tonight and if so, will drink liquid.

I have not seen my actual surgeon since 8:00 a.m. on the day of my surgery. She is wonderful, but I would like to see her again. I have only seent he physician's asst. That is also who did my fill yesterday. I just find it weird that she asked me where my port was...'Umm, I think this is it??" Then said "it seems higher than we normally put them", then put the needle in, had me sit up and gulp Water, and I never felt anything with any gulp. Nothing. I have friends who have said they had to spit the Water out. Then when I noticed the bandaid for the needle insertion was placed 3 inches below where I feel my port, it made me wonder if missing the port can happen?

I even called back to question that and she assured me she wouldn't have gotten air out if she had missed the port. I wish I knew what the different parts of my new anatomy are. I feel a lot of tenderness/pain/lumps at the belly button (this is where they went in lapracopically, so I assume that is what that is from). Write under my ribcage, to the left is where I think my port is. Very hard bulge there, the best way I can describe it is when you are 9 months pregnant and the babies foot is pressing against you. That's exactly what it reminds me of. So is that the port, is that the band? Is the tenderness I feel from that or the hiatal hernia (no clue where that is).

I'm sure in time, I'll be able to ask my surgeon (I'm requesting to see her for the next fill) and find out what all of these new parts of me are. Then I'll have a better understanding of what is normal and what is not.

Thanks for the help.

You should not be feeling your band at all. That is deep in your abdomen way under the muscle around your stomach at the base of your esophagus. The same applies to the tubing which is under most of the muscle and tissue in your body except where it meets up with the port. So what you are feeling is more then likely your port. (the hard lump like a baby foot)

The soreness in the bellybutton could be from the surgery itself especially if you had a hernia repair as well.

My surgery was a more traditional style of laproscopic surgery where I have 6 incisions, most very tiny but a rather long one where my port is placed. However...the incision scar is not the actual location of my port though it is in the general vicinity.

I have read where others have had their ports missed completely by PA's and Fluid was not put into the band. Definitely have your surgeon check it out for you by pulling a bit of Fluid back into the needle before adding more. This is generally what they do at my and my husbands fill appointments.

We also will drink a few sips of water after to be sure that the stoma was not blocked by adding fluid and then, we are free to go. That feeling of restrictions or tightness in the band is not always evident and for me it never is on the day of the fill. It can take up to 2 weeks to feel the full effects of a fill.

My husband feels it right away after a fill but for me it's usually a few days to a week or two later. You never want to feel that you can't swallow water in the Dr. office or have to spit it out. That is always a sign that your band is way too tight and the stoma is closed off and nothing can pass.

That's my experience thus far with fills....

I've never had to spit water up when I've received fills and I've had about 9.

The port is very hard and when the PA inserts the needle, the syringe should be able to stand up on it's own. It's as if she stuck the needle into a potato. My doc sticks the needle in and I can see it standing there all by itself.

Hmmmm! Sounds totally wired to me

Hmmmm! Sounds totally wired to me

Oh no! You and I seem to be so simliar...in our starting weights, weight lost, surgery date, and end goal. I keep worrying that I have something wrong because I feel tenderness, bumps, not sure what is the port, band or hernia repair. I just ate a can of cream of chix Soup, yes the whole can. I am not full, I had no trouble getting it down. This is after a 5cc fill today? Can that be possible? I'm nervous that these large portions are going to cause damage.

Band teacher and lapbandchic: You two should go back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts. All your questions will be answered.

tmf

I did go back and reread it..but it was nice just to carry on a convo with someone going thru the same thing..sorry if we was keeping the feed goin to long.

LPC, No need to apologize. I love these long threads. It's almost like a chat room and I hate chat rooms and instant messenger programs. These threads are slow let's get acquainted type forums and it's nice to go back and revisit who some of the forum members are.

well had my first fill on the 30th jan . to discover that I all ready had 1,4 mls in there .. a wee bit painful and the nurse put in 4 mls so now on 5.4 mls .. a little restriction is there and I cant eat anything ... have to be carful in what type of food I eat and energy levels have dropped .. I know its trial and error and next fill on the 27th feb ..

started going to the gym twice a week but if I over exercise then I feel the band pulling so mental note to one self . no over doing it . lost a little weight and now down to 16st 1oz ...

how is every one else getting on and is any one else feeling tired ? I have also noticed I mustn't go hungry as the band hates the feeling and then I mentally gorge on food which then makes me sick ... bad times so again its just getting the balance right in my busy life style x

Hello I am a newbie and had my first fill yesterday ( lap band done on 12-31-13) My stomach has given me some discomfort today since starting soft foods again. I am curious myself what comes next? Will this discomfort eventually stop once I am a few days out from a fill or am I doing something wrong like maybe eating to fast or too much, I have had Soup and oatmeal today with 2 Snacks of a no sugar pudding cup. I don't know if this is NORMAL or what can someone help please!